video games sales down.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
From the linked article, a relevant point:
Excluded are sales of used games and rentals as well as digital and social-network spending.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Gaming sales are down?

Hmmmm, theres only one thing for it lads. We need more DRM, and fast. Not that I'm bothered by that kind of thing really but this will probably be the industries response to this "news".

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
FalloutJack said:
[HEADING=3]And so, with very little discussion content from the OP, I would like to switch topics to recessions.[/HEADING]

Because I have been looking at these things where everybody owes everyone else in a massive cluster-flux worse than seven fishing rods tangled with each other, and I have to wonder...why can't we just roll shit back? Alot of the money owed is numbers only, data not hard currency. Is there no way to develop a program to list all the debts and financial snares, find a common denominator, and roll everyone down to a more managable number while at the same time keeping it all equal?

(Basically, I'm trying to ask if payment can't just be handled mathematically in accordance with what everyone owes everyone else.)
I have a feeling interest rates play a part in this? (Question mark to indicate I know I'm on shaky ground here.)

Let's have a shaky-example-I-just-thought-up!

Starting situation:
> America owes Bosnia £30 and pays 5% annual interest.
> Bosnia owes America £50 and pays 1% annual interest.

Situation after "rolling down":
> America owes Bosnia nothing.
> Bosnia owes America £20 and pays 1% annual interest.

Has Bosnia lost money? America has stopped paying any interest at all, while Bosnia is still paying interest on their remaining debt. Would Bosnia be in a better position if they stayed in greater debt to America (at the lower interest rate) in order to rake in the higher interest rate on America's debt to them?

Or - if my guestimation skills are lacking - can the above numbers be adjusted until it is true that one country loses out?

(New thought: Why on Earth was Bosnia the first country I could think of beginning with B?)

EDIT: Numbers were inconsistent when I first posted.
Also, if the debts were net to zero, then the banks would lose out on the transaction fees that they charge every time a "payment" is made. Banks carry a lot of weight in the economy. More than I think people realize

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
2011 had a very heavy 'big hits' release year. I'm not surprised this one is slower.

Not to mention retail is just spiraling down in general...

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Pretty much, I mean, what was the biggest thing to come out in the last few months? An obscure Suda 51, an underwhelming Ghost Recon Sequel and Darksiders 2, which hasn't been talked about at all in the last few months. It really has been a slow couple months.
Darksiders 2 isn't out yet (at least I hope not, since I haven't purchased it). So, actually, the only "AAA" games to come out in recent months are Lollipop Chainsaw and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Neither of which are very enticing for me.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Economy is in the shithole, sequels are getting worse, stupid and/or shady business practices like DRM, online passes, day-one DLC and DLC in general that make you feel like you're not getting the full game, the fact that most games get a GOTY release which makes people feel like idiots for buying it the first time, the amount of games on the market (especially military shooters) etc. On top of that it's summer, and there are no big titles before August.

OF COURSE the sales are down. And they will continue to drop.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Spartan212 said:
MetalMagpie said:
FalloutJack said:
[HEADING=3]And so, with very little discussion content from the OP, I would like to switch topics to recessions.[/HEADING]

Because I have been looking at these things where everybody owes everyone else in a massive cluster-flux worse than seven fishing rods tangled with each other, and I have to wonder...why can't we just roll shit back? Alot of the money owed is numbers only, data not hard currency. Is there no way to develop a program to list all the debts and financial snares, find a common denominator, and roll everyone down to a more managable number while at the same time keeping it all equal?

(Basically, I'm trying to ask if payment can't just be handled mathematically in accordance with what everyone owes everyone else.)
I have a feeling interest rates play a part in this? (Question mark to indicate I know I'm on shaky ground here.)

Let's have a shaky-example-I-just-thought-up!

Starting situation:
> America owes Bosnia £30 and pays 5% annual interest.
> Bosnia owes America £50 and pays 1% annual interest.

Situation after "rolling down":
> America owes Bosnia nothing.
> Bosnia owes America £20 and pays 1% annual interest.

Has Bosnia lost money? America has stopped paying any interest at all, while Bosnia is still paying interest on their remaining debt. Would Bosnia be in a better position if they stayed in greater debt to America (at the lower interest rate) in order to rake in the higher interest rate on America's debt to them?

Or - if my guestimation skills are lacking - can the above numbers be adjusted until it is true that one country loses out?

(New thought: Why on Earth was Bosnia the first country I could think of beginning with B?)

EDIT: Numbers were inconsistent when I first posted.
Also, if the debts were net to zero, then the banks would lose out on the transaction fees that they charge every time a "payment" is made. Banks carry a lot of weight in the economy. More than I think people realize
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Bleh. International finance makes my head hurt.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
auron200004 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Pretty much, I mean, what was the biggest thing to come out in the last few months? An obscure Suda 51, an underwhelming Ghost Recon Sequel and Darksiders 2, which hasn't been talked about at all in the last few months. It really has been a slow couple months.
Darksiders 2 isn't out yet (at least I hope not, since I haven't purchased it). So, actually, the only "AAA" games to come out in recent months are Lollipop Chainsaw and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Neither of which are very enticing for me.
Well the site I got those dates from claims its already out.

http://vgreleases.com/Xbox360/ReleaseDate-471361.aspx

Could be a mistake though.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
The industry seems to be mimicking the 3DS in this regard: no high profile releases, sales go down. That's just a fact of our industry. A lackluster E3, only a handful of larger titles since Christmas, only a few major sellers, and a whole lot of the backbenchers getting some screen time.

Honestly, how many of us are playing catch up, or going through some old titles for giggles, or playing a favorite classic because, hey, nothing new is coming out that screams "buy me!"? It's the dead season. Not sure why gaming has a dead summer when movies get their blockbusters, but hey, whatever.

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Well the site I got those dates from claims its already out.

http://vgreleases.com/Xbox360/ReleaseDate-471361.aspx

Could be a mistake though.
According to IGN (the first google result), it says August. I honestly hope it's not out yet because I was hoping it would do well. Not hearing much about it tends to mean it doesn't do well.

I've also noticed that Google's release-date calculator thing (the result at the very top of the page when googling a release date) has been very off recently. It says Bioshock Infinite is coming out October 16 (it's been confirmed to be coming out February of next year) and Darksiders 2 just has a derp "2012" (because that's helpful).

But, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not out. I was worried for a second, but I'm pretty sure.