Video Games with Real* Moral® Choices? !

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
tl,dr summary below this poorly written wall of text

I was wondering how many role playing (or whatever genre, really) games actually challenged the players by presenting several options when it comes to your character's morality. Most western RPGs (don't know about JRPGs) give you a choice between idealistic papa jesus, or a psycho/sociopath douchebag ************ who's a combination of dick cheney and dr. evil.

The consequences of your choice of moral archetype are also plain: on one hand, acting like mother Theresa throughout the game gets you all the nicest, hottest girls, phat lewts, and makes the world a better place to live in as you painstakingly solve every single quest in the game the 'good' way, rescuing everybody's kittens, feeding and freeing enslaved orphans, defeating the big bad dragon/mage/sentient spaceship/personal demon, etc.

On the other hand, playing through the game as Samuel Jackson often has you behaving inconsistently, as if you can't decide if you're simply an apathetic sociopath who couldn't care less about the other pixels and just wants shit to end, a kleptomaniac mercenary dude who loves money, or a fucked up megalomaniac sadist who drinks widows' tears. One moment you're justifiably intensely ruthless as the 'anti-hero', but choosing the anti-hero option in the game's climax has you suddenly, for instance, do something unreasonably 'evil' like kill your own cat or nuke a city. Acting like the anti-hero consequently leaves you with the most unsatisfying conclusions to the game, leaving the world a crapsack place with a jaded/enslaved/utterly massacred population thanks to your apathy/cruelty. Also, playing the anti-hero/evil guy has you turn uglier and meaner, your skin becomes scarred or darker, and you glow red.

Now, I'm not complaining about how video games only give you about two real ways to go through things, or how satisfying/unsatisfying the consequences of your moral choices are (the way many anti-hero playthroughs result in an inconsistent protagonist upsets me a little, but that's another issue).

I only wanted to discover what games offered grey and gray morality scenarios, where morality issues do not really present the players with an obvious right/good or wrong/evil solution.

A recently released RPG, 'the Witcher 2' had an overabundance of these events, and I consequently enjoyed the game despite its draconian interface, hour long potion drinking animations and boring dark fantasy setting and bad voice acting and only one ultimate (though satisfying) ending. Even though you got the same ultimate ending with each playthrough with the ladybug and the view of that city, the experiences you go through to achieve that ending varied so much according to how you approached the game. The game never chastised you for your moral choices since there were no truly objective moral decisions to be made in that game; you may get punished for not picking the most prudent dialogue options and that's it. In my multiple playthroughs of the game, all of the moral decisions made by me through the game have impacted the gameplay (different people in the dead book, different companions, different animated custcenes) and yet all of the options seemed valid according to the moral perspective you held; I never felt like a good guy or Darth Vader in the game.

tl,dr: what video games present the player with scenarios that challenge the player with complex moral decisions?

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Jade Empire was, in theory, this. Open Palm wasn't supposed to be an unambiguously good choice, nor was Closed Fist only evil. The game even had an entire philosophy based around this. Unfortunately, it didn't amount to much, and the ambiguity only really came into play in a few quests. It especially falls apart near the end, where a Closed Fist character will quickly drive straight into crazy town with the escalation of evil it makes you do.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Fire Emblem always forces me to make tough decisions; "Do I let this unit die, or do I restart the whole chapter?"
- Not sure if it qualifies as a moral choice though.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Mass Effect 2. Legion's loyalty mission. One of the deepest moral choices I have ever had to make in a video game. Do I choose to destroy the Geth base and therefore prolonging the war, or do I choose to infect the base with the given virus, rewriting them to be better Geth themselves, like Legion.

There stands the morality. Who am I to change the Geth's perception of the universe? Where do I stand to force the Geth to be like Legion, accepting of organic life? If I remember correctly, Extra Credits touched base on this very example. It really stands out, you see.

Blue_Devil13

Jun 10, 2011
None come to mind, but I'm going to make a post so its easier to watch this thread because it could lead to great games.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Witcher games and Planescape: Torment are to my knowledge the best implementation of moral choices in a WRPG. Planescape: Torment in particular lets you be evil, but evil in an intelligent, consistent, instrumental, and scary way. That game's pretty well known for being very hard to play through as an evil character simply because of what that playthrough requires you to do.

You've also got Atlus games - Devil Survivor had in my opinion one of the best implementations of choices in any game period, and Catherine's inscription of the order vs. chaos dichotomy into the context a normal relationship is sheer insane genius.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Splinter Cell: Double Agent's trust meter is probably the best example of a moral choice system I have seen in a game. 1) because it's all about finding a middle ground and keeping both the NSA and JBA happy with your decisions rather than in other games where there's no point in being anything but all good or all evil. 2) because maintaining this balance actually causes you to think about the consequences of your actions (Example: 'If I destroy the cruise ship in Mexico to please the JBA hundreds of innocent people die. However, if I don't I maybe forced to do something even worse later on to make up for it.) It's actually complicated.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Fallout New Vegas. Caesar´s Legion is the best example of evil dickheads, but they have some potencial for good, and if you side with them, the NCR, Mr. House or Yes Man is just a question of your moral beliefs, and not of black or white general conceptions of good and evil.

RobDJClark

Oct 31, 2009
Infamous had a few, One being notable for
Choosing between saving the doctors who could save millions, or your lover

Maybe not so much a moral choice because

She dies either way

Blue_Devil13

Jun 10, 2011
JamesStone said:
Fallout New Vegas. Caesar´s Legion is the best example of evil dickheads, but they have some potencial for good, and if you side with them, the NCR, Mr. House or Yes Man is just a question of your moral beliefs, and not of black or white general conceptions of good and evi,
Gonna have to disagree with you there. Its painted very early on that Caesar's legion is suppose to bed the bad guys and the NCR are suppose to be the good guys. Sure the NCR show a bit of a bad side with all the drunk soldiers at New Vegas, but its still clear their the "good" choice.

Dark Harbinger

Apr 8, 2011
Knights Of The Old Republic II

Although Light and Dark side were present, they were handled very differently to the straight up press for rainbow kittens or nuke orphanage style options for KOTOR I. The choices made in that game were primarily to focus on your survival, you're constantly being hunted by psychotic Sith Lords, you yourself are a wound in the force, drawing in life around you and influencing all those who travel with you, not everything is centered on your karma. Your actions affect the way your companions look upon the world, for you, most of the options involve going out of your way to try to improve the lives of those around you, of course, these means you'll spend a lot of time focusing on others rather than yourself. Or you can focus on getting stronger quickly and allow others to struggle for themselves.

Examples such as the fight within the palace at Onderon, depending on who you picked to help, do you aid the soldiers fighting by risking loss of energy and vitality, or do you conserve your strength to face your own greater challenges.

Then there are a lot more complex moments, such as a beggar on Nar Shadda, who won't leave you alone until you either threaten the man with violence or hand over some credits, yet either of the actions results in suffering, such as the man running in fear but attacking someone else for money, or he is attacked for his newly gained credits.

Plus there is a great sense of motives within the story, of course there are some straight up good/evil choices, but those usually tie in well with the main story, and usually branch out, rather than asking you to simply save a child or set it on fire, you might be given the choice, such as, to aid the Jedi Masters who cast you out, as well as recieving some rather crucial knowledge. Or perhaps you would rather have revenge for what you believe they did to you, you'll tear what you want from them, but the further down the road, more and more will turn their backs on you.

In a game like KOTOR II, you can't simply save everyone, you can't please everyone, even the smallest decisions affect the outcomes of so many lives, the Exile's complex background ensures that it's never as simple as being the next Jesus/Hitler. All of your choices have benefits, consequences, branches and complex morals and influences rolled up into one.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Alter Ego. Try that game. Was made back in the 80s and has the best moral dilemmas. There is no 'good or evil'. You have to do what you think is right.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
One that I have always found to be great was the case of Ms. Grace Holloway in Bioshock 2. Grace was the only one I had actually conflict since she was so pitiable.

See, she was unbarren, plus her boyfriend had been kidnapped by Ryan's goons. Depressed, she was allowed by Sofia Lamb to raise Eleanor, giving her life meaning. Then, Ryan kidnapped Eleanor and made her into a Little Sister. When she finally found Eleanor hanging out with Delta (the main character), she immediately went to hug Eleanor, but Delta (in protector mode), hit her and broke her jaw. So, her anger with Delta is completely justified. And while she was annoying me throughout the entire level, I couldn't bring myself to kill her due to the circumstances.

ShogunSam-R-I

Jul 14, 2011
I think its all about presentation. Some games do this so poorly(infamous) that unless your a total douchebag, your certain to make the "good" choice. And its not just that. The game will even tell you that you've made the "good" or "evil" choice. Some games get it right(mass effect) to where your choices arent simple and can change how scenarios play out down the road.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Blue_Devil13 said:
JamesStone said:
Fallout New Vegas. Caesar´s Legion is the best example of evil dickheads, but they have some potencial for good, and if you side with them, the NCR, Mr. House or Yes Man is just a question of your moral beliefs, and not of black or white general conceptions of good and evi,
Gonna have to disagree with you there. Its painted very early on that Caesar's legion is suppose to bed the bad guys and the NCR are suppose to be the good guys. Sure the NCR show a bit of a bad side with all the drunk soldiers at New Vegas, but its still clear their the "good" choice.
True, in your early encounters, it is clear that Caesar´s Legion are a bunch of murdering, raping assholes, but when it´s time to make up your mind (cookie for people who realize the FNV reference), you see that the guy who is in charge is a charismatic leader who believes that in do all those evil acts now, you can after do something good. So it´s the "I can be good but my troops keep doing dickhead acts", and the proof is that you can finish up the game for Caesar with a good karma. And according to Cass, their roads are really safe.

I´m still and NCR hero, but I recognize that Legion has their good spots. It´s a "do all it takes" kind of good.

P.S. This doesn´t apply to real life. Every murderer wanna-be that reads this can´t say this in an hypothetical court. I really don´t want to end up in every anti-terrorism force watch-list.

weker

May 27, 2009
Alpha Protcal is the best game out their for moral choices.
No silly burden of a morality bar, and no Jesus, comedian and baby eating anti Christ choices.
Do you try to sweet talk this man who is reluctant to give you information? He might not help you. Why not try slamming his head into the table you would get the information faster but will make a scene.

Apart from that there are loads of live and die situations and if you let this guy go he can help you catch someone worse.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Annoying Turd said:
tl,dr: what video games present the player with scenarios that challenge the player with complex moral decisions?
Alpha Protcol is one of the few, in my opinion. It doesn't give you karma or tell you you're evil, you either piss one character off, kill some people or effect the world and course of events in some way.

You are only judged for your actions by other characters, never by the game.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2. Legion's loyalty mission.
One of the deepest moral choices I have ever had to make in a video game. Do I choose to destroy the Geth base and therefore prolonging the war, or do I choose to infect the base with the given virus, rewriting them to be better Geth themselves, like Legion.

There stands the morality. Who am I to change the Geth's perception of the universe? Where do I stand to force the Geth to be like Legion, accepting of organic life? If I remember correctly, Extra Credits touched base on this very example. It really stands out, you see.
Yeah, that's one of the best moral choices I've ever seen in a game. One that really forces you to think about what kind of a person you are. And when I did make a choice on it, I was a little surprised, cause it's not the kind of choice I'd have seen me making.

Oh, and you may want to add a spoiler tag to that bit. I know you said it was ME2, Legions loyalty mission at the start of your post, but a lot of people quickly scan a block of text and will take in the rest of the paragraph before registering that it's a spoiler.