Video games you gave up on soley due to difficulty

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Super Mario Brothers.

Really. I have never beaten that game fairly. Triple that for SMB3.

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
PQ: practical intelligence quotient. Although I expected it to get near impossible at the end.

Still easily one of the shining stars in the PSP library.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
CrazyJuan77 said:
Donkey Kong. The original.
I went back to that game the other day and it's surprisingly easy now. Not sure why, but maybe it only seemed hard because it was one of the few platform games during its time.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I never finished Area 51 because I was stuck at a hard part towards the end, but then I figured "hey, if I get in on PC I can beat it, I'm better with keyboard/mouse". Boy was that a mistake. If anyone ever thinks some popular game (MW2, Bulletstorm, etc.) are bad console ports, try playing this...

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
I don't normally comment on escapist, but I had to with this thread.

I beat Dragon Age Origins on Nightmare, and I found it to be more tedious than difficult. I try my best to make that distinction. Especially with the Golems of Amgarack final boss, it took away 1/3-2/3 of your tank's HP on each hit. I always carried around a stack of 99 of every potion, so it just became a battle of attrition. I wouldn't call that difficult, I'd call that poor game design. But I beat him anyway. Just took a day.

Actually, a lot of the games being mentioned were ones I had difficulty with (Metroid Prime 2, Last Remnant, the first Oddworld) but I finished those. Some were a joke (Mass Effect? Megaman 3? WTF?)

The only games I quit solely due to difficulty was Milon's Secret Castle and Mega Man Zero. The latter not due to the difficulty, but rather the difficulty to get a perfect score on every stage like my video game OCD compels me to.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Kakulukia said:
Demons's's's's Souls and every Final Fantasy game ever. You always eventually get to an almost impossible boss you have to grind for hours before you can beat it. And they can fuck right off.
Final Fantasy VII wasn't like that. Emerald and Ruby Weapon were a pain in the ass, but they are optional. Besides that the only real hard bosses I remember were Carry Armor and Demon Wall.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Solely due to difficulty eh? I would have to say Magicka. I know it's not that hard if you play with other people, however, that game can be extremely unforgiving if you play it solo and have no one to revive you. It is certainly possible to beat the game by yourself, but it's not easy at all. At least, not for a butter-fingers like me.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I suppose God of War 2 kind of counts in my case. I couldn't get past the translator part on Titan difficulty. Of course, another factor was simply that the gameplay becomes super tedious when all the enemies take twice as long to dispatch.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Glover. It's the fifth game I ever purchased, and I never beat it. You never get more health or upgrades, the controls are clunky, the bosses are ridiculously hard, and there's little to no help.

It's my benchmark game xP If I ever beat it, I'll consider myself a God. But for the time being, I just can't beat it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Nieroshai said:
A lot of SNES games like the Super Star Wars series.
Ah, yes. Same here. That game was a pain. Lightsabers are useless when they do so little damage and enemies have no hit stuns.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Final Fantasy III. No question. The final dungeon is hell.

I would say Dragon Age: Origins, but I didn't stop because of the difficulty. Sure, it was a bit hard at times, but what really made me stop is the way you need to customize your characters and the absolutely retarded AI that wouldn't do anything right, even when I tell them to. I don't like the way they did the skill trees; in some cases, there's a really awesome spell that I really would like to have, but I need to give up, like, 3 of my skill points on 2 useless spells and one decent spell, none of which I will use, to get to it. That's 4 skill points invested for one spell. This really hampers my versatility, and versatility is one of the things I value most in a strategy.

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
The Saboteur - Couldn't even get past the first mission. Was so disappointed coz it looked like a really cool game.

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
supersupersuperguy said:
Final Fantasy III. No question. The final dungeon is hell.

I would say Dragon Age: Origins, but I didn't stop because of the difficulty. Sure, it was a bit hard at times, but what really made me stop is the way you need to customize your characters and the absolutely retarded AI that wouldn't do anything right, even when I tell them to. I don't like the way they did the skill trees; in some cases, there's a really awesome spell that I really would like to have, but I need to give up, like, 3 of my skill points on 2 useless spells and one decent spell, none of which I will use, to get to it. That's 4 skill points invested for one spell. This really hampers my versatility, and versatility is one of the things I value most in a strategy.
It's frustrating, but you end up having about 10x as many skills as you can even fit on your bar. Plus, you have to pick from a set number of "builds" in order for your companions to be worth their weight. It railroaded you, and if you didn't follow the railroad, it was "difficult."

Again, I chalk it up to poor game design, one of the many in one of the most hailed games in the past 2-3 years. I want to play the Dragon Age that everybody raves about. I think we got a broken copy. =/

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
I almost gave up on Modern Warfare 2 because of that one mission (the estate map, but in single-player) where you had to run from enemies while at the same time defeating enemies in front of you and dodging mortar fire! I must have tried a few dozen times, and when I did succeed my character *Spoiler* died as part of a cutscene anyways! WTF!!!

Also, I gave up on Ninja Gaiden: Sigma and Resistance 1, but I still have them so maybe I'll try again sometime.

No wait, also Tony Hawk Underground 2, 007: Nightfire, Terminator 3: Redemption, and F-Zero GX to an extent. (I think I still have all of those as well) I also never finished a major 2D platformer like Sonic, Mario, or Castlevania.

Man, I need to step up my game.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
GiantRaven said:
Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins.
The difficulty of ME wouldn't have infuriated me if their autosave function wasn't shit.

It autosaved once every 90 days.

Anywho I went in an edited casual to be god mode basically and played it for the story instead of the OHKO losses of 30 minutes of my life.

Demon Soul's is the only game I gave up on myself. Not because it is too difficult but because that difficulty is time consuming and I've got a freaking job already eating up most of my life. I'd rather spend the other part having fun instead of earning fun :p.

CrazyJuan77 said:
Atheist. said:
CrazyJuan77 said:
Donkey Kong. The original.
I went back to that game the other day and it's surprisingly easy now. Not sure why, but maybe it only seemed hard because it was one of the few platform games during its time.
I never went back, DK kicked my booty and I called it quits. Its odd, because I typically do well with platformers and the like. I just have zero aptitude for that game.
You might want to. The series has aged fairly well. Personally speaking.

soniceric said:
Kopikatsu said:
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, dood!

The game is hell
The first game wasn't that hard, is the 2nd one that difficult?
It's an aptitude thing. I'm not a great gamer but I'm apparently god at battletoads. Later folks told me it was impossibly hard and I was stunned.

Similarly Prinny is a game that some people "get" but that group is very small and it DESTROYS the rest of the people who play it.

AnimatedAmbiguity

Mar 28, 2011
Silverfox99 said:
Ghosts and Goblins.
This without a doubt! And the original "Mortal Kombat" on the GBA. Brutal and insanely cheap are just a few of the words to describe that game, other than absolute crap!

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
I've given up on parts of a game...like some of the DLC for ME2. I've also given up on playing Bayonetta, and DMC3 on anything other then Easy or Normal diff.

Oh and a lot of Real Time Strategy games cause my plan is often: KILL IT KILL IT NOW....which isn't strategy. Unless your Duke Nukem.