Video games you gave up on soley due to difficulty

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Breakdown. The last act in Nexus was especially brutal. I remember there was a giant white chamber where you had to fight at least 10 enemies at once. That part alone made me quit countless times.

I finally sucked it up 3 or 4 years ago and took it off my shelf for one last go. Much rejoicing was to be had when I beat that sucker. Never touched it again.

Good game, though.

Oh, Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly. Could never get past the part where you lose the camera. That ghost always got me before I can escape. Only game I never completed. I still have it, so there's a chance.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Ummmm, sort of Valkyria Chronicles but that's not really because it's to hard but because I didn't level much at all and when I eventually do go back to it I'm likely going to need to catch my units up to handle the final boss.

Mirror's Edge, I'm very confident I'd be able to finish it, maybe even without to many attempts, it's just so frustrating to have that level of combat at the end that I didn't bother. I just bought the game myself though to support the artistic merits the game has so I'll likely get back to this as well.

BlazBlue however falls well under this category though, I'd love to play it at a half competitive level but fighters are just to far out of my comprehension to pick up.

I'm kind of shocked to see so much Dragon Age mentioned on page 1, I agree it was hard for the first little while purely because it was a new idea mechanically for me personally. But once you have a half decent handle on which abilities are effective I found Nightmare to easy honestly.

To tangent to a game I almost gave up because it was to hard: Bioshock.
But I kept playing and instead of giving up now complain about it's difficulty curve because after the first are the rest of the game becomes gradually easier until the final boss is melee cake where you don't take damage and win with your eyes closed.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
VikingSteve said:
SonofaJohannes said:
VikingSteve said:
SonofaJohannes said:
There was this one mission in Just Cause 2 that made me ragequit. Several times. I haven't played it since.

Seriously? That game was a cakewalk and I played it on the 2nd hardest difficulty.
There was a time-limit. I hate time-limits.
So do it extra fast. I would think the time-limit would give you even more incentive to beat it.
Nah, I like playing games at my own pace. If a game is going to tell me to do things fast, I'd rather not play it. Too much work. Games are supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not a matter of life or death.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
nukethetuna said:
I gave up on Demon's Souls for a short period when I accidentally made the final level Pure Black, and was using a very sloppy build. You'd be surprised how much easier that game is when you play it again with more knowledge/experience, though, so I made it back and overcame it pretty easily.

I think the longest I completely abandoned due to difficulty was Shinobi for PS2, but I did end up finishing it a couple summers ago.

I still haven't 100%ed Super Meat Boy, though I plan to. There are a couple Dark Worlds that are giving me a very hard time.
Argh....SMB...it starts out so easy...and then WHAM! Chainsaws up your arsenal.

I havent given up yet, I just play with less regular intervals :p

Nemesha

Jun 23, 2009
Splintercell: Pandora tomorrow on the xbox, I just couldn't figure out how to continue
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, I was lost and was done with the game
CoD MW: the final part of the snipermission at the ferris wheel. I completed all CoD games on veteran but I just had to lower the difficulty a notch for that mission after dying 50 times :/

digipinky75910

Aug 25, 2009
Country
us
Pirates of the Caribbean, 'Shaman King' for PS2, and
'Avatar: The Last Airbender - 'Into the Inferno'

Pirates - Every time I killed a guy, three more took it's place. I just couldn't keep up with it.
'Shaman King' - could not survive the tutorial, no matter what I did.
'Into the Inferno' - Had to use GameFaqs *twice* on the tutorial, and with no healing and special attacks needlessly complicated, got killed in the first boss fight and had to restart the level. bite me.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I can't really name any off the top of my head, That i've played anyway, I'm a bit of a gaming masochist. If the game isn't making me want to hurl the controller/keyboard at something breakable then it hasn't done it's job and I'm just playing another session of my memorized blindfolded sonic 3, or Bejeweled Zen mode.

Daniel Park

Oct 10, 2010
I got stuck on Psychonauts (the circus / high wire level) and never got back to it. Shame, because I loved that game. I was playing on PC, but I actually think it might have been easier with a dedicated controller.

It was only through sheer force of will that I finished Overlord II. There's a level where you have to precision-walk your spider minions across a ceiling that had me on the verge of throwing my mouse through my monitor.

Almost gave up on the combat challenges in Arkham Asylum, but in the end was glad I stuck with it. I love that it was't just a buttonmash-fest. If you work at it, your freeflow skills really can progress to the point of making the challenges a cakewalk.

-d.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Breath of Fire 3, it's not so much hard, as it was just tedious and frustrating as hell. I had fond memories of that game but it comes down to you're...well basically supposed to walk around with 2 characters, Momo and Rei. Otherwise you can't always beat the dungeon and if you do chose to use other characters that means more grinding.

And due to BoF3s unique training you have to know all these masters, who does what best, who does better under who or else the game will be a pain in the ass. And I'm not one to play a game with a guide open, that's not playing a game, that's reading along.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Demon souls. I never quit it for good, but i always need a long break between levels. Haven't finished it so far.

I completely ragequit Ninja Gaiden 2 though.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Demon Souls, fuck that game. Filled me with RAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Oh and Fallout 3, man that got hard when I got into it, so I gave up.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Don said:
Call of Duty World At War; never got passed Vendetta on Veteran, gave up because of it.
Oh yeah, CoD5. That mission going through the trenches, on Veteran. Swear to god that pissed me off so much I coulda' shat a little kid out my ass.

(wtf?)

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
Demon's souls. It's a great game, but it's bloody imposible for someone that does other things than trying to kill storage tall monsters.

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
War-hamster said:
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee - Propobly the most difficult platformer ever made
I'll drink to that.
Also, any rts game where I have to start micromanaging more than 'that group there'. The AI can do it flawlessly, but I can only attack or defend one place at a time >:c