Video: Infamous 2 Karma System Completely Changes the Game

Tssha

May 8, 2009
Looks like the core gameplay I loved from Infamous is intact. The karma system...well, it's not so much revolutionary as evolutionary, only experience will tell if it's a substantial improvement over the original system. I kinda doubt it though.

I tell ya though, no game made you feel like a hero like Infamous did. Healing people on the street, standing between them and the reapers, the bag men, the...whoever that ancient society is. Oh, and those garbage crawler beasts too. I loved giving those things a good kick. You had to deal with them fast or they'd attack innocent bystanders. Restraint grenades...I loved sticking one of those to a conduit. So much XP. So much karma.

In any case, I will play this game and will probably enjoy it. This is Sucker Punch, they make good games. I doubt Infamous to Infamous 2 will be analogous with Sly Cooper to Sly Cooper 2, but I'm sure it'll be an improvement anyway.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
So is evil still going to make you more than a bit O.P? That was the weird thing in the original. A "good" play-through on normal was harder than the hard play-through as "evil". Although something about this seems off. It's better lit now isn't it? The question is then which way to play as first?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Did I miss something here? Now he sort of looks like he did in the old game, which is good, but I thought he would have ice-powers too..? I was actually kind of looking forward to that, now it just looks like the old game.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Does he only have one form of attack?? Can he only shoot these electroballs and nothing else??

Gameplay does not seem to be varied, looks like something one might get tired of rather quickly..

But then again, two, 2 minute videos, might not give best picture of the game..

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
This doesnt seem like a moral choice system.
It seems more like a, "have a boring time chasing people down" or "HAVE AN AMAZING TIME BLOWIN SH*T UP!" system.

I mean, what if he didnt use those explosives? They could have killed hundreds of people had he not used them on the building!

I have to agree with alot of other posts. Is it really so much trouble to program in extra choices? I wouldent care if they all ended the exact same way.

"You saved the village! Take this magic sword as a reward!" I want my options to be more then:
A: "Oh yes! My pleasure! but keep the sword as its part of your heritage! And honoring your Heritage is good!" ((the goody goody choice))
B: "Thank you, i accept." ((the neutral choice))
C: "I'll take the sword. But you should also give me all the money your village has!" ((the evil choice))

Why cant they add a "D" or an "E"? Like:
D: "Yes! I will take your sword as a reward, and i will honor it by using this blade to win many battles in your name!"
E: "F*CK YOUR SWORD AND GIVE ME YOUR WOMEN!"

I would really like to see choice "E" in many more games.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The problem with binary morality choices in games is that it punishes you for playing anything other than one extreme or the other. I look forward to playing a game that lets me play a human rather than choosing between a parody of Ghandi or Skeletor. Hell, at least Mass Effect only makes me choose between Denzel Washington or Clint Eastwood.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Antidrall said:
Ugh, this is even worse than the first Karma system. there are always at least two reasons why you would perform an action. lets set up a very typical rpg or video game scenario:

you're walking along and see a man being attacked by someone. you could:
a) fight off the attacker
b) walk away

why would you fight the attacker? it could eather be because you believe in defending the weak, or it could be because you just want to ruthlessly kill someone.

as for just walking away, it could be because you don't feel like helping someone, or you're just scared of getting into a confrontation or have more pressing matters to attend to. Or it could be to go inform a guard/ police officer of it.

no lets say that you killed/defeated the assailant and the man wants to repay you:
a)accept the money
b)refuse the offering

If you accept the money, it doesn't mean that you expect to be rewarded, you could just be a guy who's down on his luck and needs to make some money, and saving lives just so happen to be what you're good at. Or of course you could be the kind of asshole who snatches the cash from his hand and walks away without thanks.

refusing the award doesn't always mean that you're some selfless paragon of justice that shits out words of wisdom, you could just care less what the man thinks about you, or even that money has little value to you.

All morality systems in games are very shallow, and unless someone comes up with a better way to get inside the player's head instead of get the player in the character's head, I'll always see it that way.
The current Devil/Jesus system is about a days work with regard to writing. You just have to add murder to make it a Devil mission and saving to make it a Jesus mission. It's not interesting but it's certainly efficient.

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
I rather have the freedom to tackle missions however i want,instead of being dictate by my karma,or my buddies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not expecting miracles from the karma system. As a matter of fact, I'm not really expecting anything at all, but I do like how it offers you different ways to tackle certain missions. We'll see.

The gameplay looks fucking slick though. When the hell is it going to be released anyway?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I've got to ask, whats with the stick? You shoot thundery death out of your limbs? Why would you need a stick?

emion

Feb 3, 2011
I like the new system. it looks like its going to give more variety between good and evil. and just love the way they seam to use more close-up, in-game cinematics. like to get a good look of the game models and zeke just looks awesome xD

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Wahful said:
I've got to ask, whats with the stick? You shoot thundery death out of your limbs? Why would you need a stick?
Because sticks are awesome, duh.

But Claws are even more awesome.

That´s why i´m called awesomeClaw.

OT:Looks fun. I hope that we get to choose the shape of our stick.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I'm all for ruthless rampages butttt.... Nix is damn irritating. I might have to play through this being good first just to spite her.

Then again, playing through on evil first would make playing on good feel gratifying...

DECISIONS DAMNIT

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Man. That looks awesome.
Think I prefer Cole's voice acting from the first infamous, and the clothing ... myehh.
Not much of a Karma system though. Either all good or all evil.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
They both seem bad to me...
I have the same issue with this as Yahtzee, watch his inFamous 1 review for my thoughts on this.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nice to see some new powers getting shown off. Glad they're letting us keep the stuff from the first game right off the bat, too. Nice to see that evil Cole doesn't have weird tattoos develop on his body, and that his lightning doesn't go to the dark side. Now, the adaptive morality system sounds alright, and I don't really have a problem with multiple playthrouhgs, so it seems like a pretty sweet set up. I just want to know if you can change your mind after you've decided. If you start saving the cops, can you turn around and ram the front with explosives? Though, what's with the little chime when you take someone down? That seems a little invasive.

Still no date, I see. Oh well. Thanks for the update, and by all means, take the time to make a great game, just, you know...let us know, eh?