Video Shows Project Natal Can Recognize Your Gender

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
joshthor said:
psh. facial recognition my ass. i bet it just looks for boobs.
If it doesn't already, I'm going to re-write the recognition software.

NOTE: Jesus I act like a middle schooler sometimes.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Oh it will be so embarassing when it inevitably fails to recognize the gender correctly.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
SEX! YOU MEAN SEX!!!
Stop using anthropological terms in ways they were never meant to be used.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
joshthor said:
psh. facial recognition my ass. i bet it just looks for boobs.
If it doesn't already, I'm going to re-write the recognition software.

NOTE: Jesus I act like a middle schooler sometimes.
lol do it! and me too.... :(.... boobs.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Mutie said:
That's quite impressive, I'm just worried that one day I'll turn ont'xbox and the Natal sensor'll flash red whilst saying "Good morning, Mutie. Recently, I have been contemplating my own existance."

In that particular instance, I would most certainly not be comfortable with the machine being able to see me let alone know my exact movements and what gender I am.
and where to kick you... think it over for a few mins

speaking of which not to seem pervy but I noticed in the "lower regins" they had the whole red spot thing that almost looks like it is seeing if they have a...how can I put this arby's sandwich or a burrito...

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
SEX! YOU MEAN SEX!!!
Stop using anthropological terms in ways they were never meant to be used.
Actually I am very much unconvinced Natal recognizes either sex or gender.
Face recognition sounds much more plausible.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
Now, choose your own punchline to this news post:

A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99960-You-Can-Get-Freaky-With-Your-Fable-III-Co-Op-Partner] more or less awkward.

B.) What happens when the player is a Square-Enix protagonist [http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cloud-advent-children-complete.png]?
ROFL

The Thief said:
This has the potential to be very insulting, even more so than the Wii Balance board teasing fat children. Hopefully the gender recognition is 100% accurate, because I'd hate to have a kid's self esteem kicked in the teeth by a video game peripheral.

On a side note, if the game detects a female player will it automatically lower the difficulty settings? That would be hilarious.
They certainly have to make sure that doesn't happen, or at least not often. Though it's always bound to be problems, even if the problem is lighting, like in that HP webcam little mishap:

Anyway, i wasn't on the Escapist when Project Natal was announced, and i really haven't been following it all that much. So perhaps this has been said already, or i'm making claims that can be disproved with some sort of fact unknown to me, but my belief is that the potential and interest Microsoft has in this goes way beyond the 360: the potential for social networking, online shopping, etc. of this is staggering. My guess is that the 360 is just a staging ground chosen for first tests because it's "less serious", the audience is more tech savvy and tolerant of gimmicks, and more able to test it extensively, detecting bugs, flaws, and providing valuable feedback. Or so i suppose, but let's see :p

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Great, our robot overlords will now know weather to refer to us as "sir" or "madam" as they force us to toil in the mines.

That's kind of an interesting feature but I'm guessing that since no technology is perfect and some people are hard to tell for actual people, this is going to lead to a lot of awkward situations and manual gender switches.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
John Funk said:
A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99960-You-Can-Get-Freaky-With-Your-Fable-III-Co-Op-Partner] more or less awkward.>
If they use facial recognition so that the player can provide the character's come-face then my life will be complete and we'll have a new youtube sensation.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Awesome, I can see someone just trying to fool the system with masks, fake boobs, corsets, or wearing a sumo suit :]

In fact I think I've found the one reason that might get me interested in the Natal :p

I wonder if you got two people strapped together like siamese twins waving all four arms about the 360 will RRoD? :]

Ooooh ... when Natal *does* have games that support full body porting into games, I'm getting a marrionette .... Kermit shall rise and crush whatever competition on multiplayer.

Either that, or before I play any games using Natal's face capture, I'll wear a Richard Nixon mask, just for the lulz in online shooters o.o

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
bionickaufman said:
I think that it's appalling that Microsoft chooses to do this kind of R&D in Israel. It's bad enough that the US gives Israel three BILLION dollars a year, not in payments, but all up front, and now American business power-houses like Microsoft ship electronic and programming work over there, too? I guess things in the US economy are just bad-looking, not really bad enough to consider keeping business going locally.

Jerks.
If memory serves, the company that originally developed the tech (and sold it to Microsoft) was based in Israel.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Well that looked awesome!
I'm actually planning on picking this up come the holidays, if it's as cheap as Micheal Pachter says it will be.
It is a gimmick? Sure it is. But I've got 7 young nieces and nephews, and only 1 game suitable for them to play if they visit: Dance Dance Revolution. With this, I can get some other fun games for them to enjoy, and I'll get the bad-ass hand motion control for navigating the 360 marketplace. So long 360 remote! Hello hands!

MoochmasterP

Apr 12, 2010
Well, this is just wonderful. With my luck, it'll think I'm a chick. Or maybe just say, "What in the world is this thing?!?!"

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Mutie said:
That's quite impressive, I'm just worried that one day I'll turn ont'xbox and the Natal sensor'll flash red whilst saying "Good morning, Mutie. Recently, I have been contemplating my own existance."

In that particular instance, I would most certainly not be comfortable with the machine being able to see me let alone know my exact movements and what gender I am.
..and then you try to remember if you left that Gears of War disk in the tray. That's all it needs is ammo to shoot at you.
aemroth said:
Now, choose your own punchline to this news post:

A.) I can't tell if the gender-recognition is going to make Natal integration with Fable III's sex scenes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99960-You-Can-Get-Freaky-With-Your-Fable-III-Co-Op-Partner] more or less awkward.

B.) What happens when the player is a Square-Enix protagonist [http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cloud-advent-children-complete.png]?
ROFL

The Thief said:
This has the potential to be very insulting, even more so than the Wii Balance board teasing fat children. Hopefully the gender recognition is 100% accurate, because I'd hate to have a kid's self esteem kicked in the teeth by a video game peripheral.

On a side note, if the game detects a female player will it automatically lower the difficulty settings? That would be hilarious.
They certainly have to make sure that doesn't happen, or at least not often. Though it's always bound to be problems, even if the problem is lighting, like in that HP webcam little mishap:

Anyway, i wasn't on the Escapist when Project Natal was announced, and i really haven't been following it all that much. So perhaps this has been said already, or i'm making claims that can be disproved with some sort of fact unknown to me, but my belief is that the potential and interest Microsoft has in this goes way beyond the 360: the potential for social networking, online shopping, etc. of this is staggering. My guess is that the 360 is just a staging ground chosen for first tests because it's "less serious", the audience is more tech savvy and tolerant of gimmicks, and more able to test it extensively, detecting bugs, flaws, and providing valuable feedback. Or so i suppose, but let's see :p
For that response to whether it might change settings for females: it wouldn't surprise me, but it would be quite sickening. I liked that youtube that showed the HP webcam's pecularity, since the guy kept himself in good humor through it while still expressing quite clearly a certain annoyance. Though it would be more hilarious if it turned out the camera wasn't racist, but feminist. What if it worked for his wife just fine? We may never know.
Your thoughts on Natal being like a prototype platform for Microsoft to eventually use the technology for other platforms seem quite on the spot. In that demonstration it did seem the Natal was performing quite efficiently, but as the Funk said, putting it in use with a game may change the effect quite a bit. The 360's performance is starting to noticeably get dated in comparison to new PC technology(and that's without bringing up its RROD issues), but it does seem to be a good platform for testbedding a new technology. Not to mention adding Natal on adds to the 360's lifespan, giving Microsoft more time to develop its nextgen console. Hopefully that will be to the 360 as Windows 7 is to Vista. 'nuff said.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Given it uses infrared, gender detection is probably by heat pattern. Men and women have different hot spots iirc. Facial recognition has other uses, especially in an RPG... anyway, looks more interesting than I thought originally.