Video Shows Project Natal Can Recognize Your Gender

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
There's going to be trouble when it gets this wrong. On a different note, if it has facial recognition I'd love to be able to hand it a photo of someone in advance and have the system recoil in horror and display something like this as its interpretation of my friends.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/2/22/

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
The really funny part will be when it mistakes your man boobs and long, greasy hair for indicators of an ugly girl instead of the basement dwellers that a good 10% of gamers are.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
I see no value in this function what so ever?
It's just a gadget so far as i can see. Another stupid hype
someone enlighten me about this 'extra value' [sub] which undoubtly be used as a reason to increase prices[/sub]

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
One day Microsoft will get sued for Natal choosing someone's gender Incorrectly.

Just a guess.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Okay, well this is going to seem messed up, but I have seen some manly looking girls and some really effeminate looking boys...

they're not going to like Natal much...

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I honestly doubt Natal does anything microsoft says it does any more. I wouldnt be suprised if it was just a webcam to some guy in a call centre type place telling you if you were a boy or a girl

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol this ought to be hilarious when it tries to figure out kids pre-puberty XD im almost certain its gots to do with shoulder hip ratios o wells we can wait and see

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I can tell it'll be interesting for gender-queer, transsexual and transvestite users. "No! I'm not a woman, I'm a...AAAHHHH!".

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
bionickaufman said:
I think that it's appalling that Microsoft chooses to do this kind of R&D in Israel. It's bad enough that the US gives Israel three BILLION dollars a year, not in payments, but all up front, and now American business power-houses like Microsoft ship electronic and programming work over there, too? I guess things in the US economy are just bad-looking, not really bad enough to consider keeping business going locally.

Jerks.
Do you have anything to base this off other than your apparent dislike of Israel? (The reason of which escapes me)

Course I don't know what the 3 billion $$$ you're talking about are on, I've definitely not heard of that before, is that a consolation prize to scoring an area not surrounded by people who hate you? Not sure they entered the raffle.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
If this is an automatic process of the hardware, this will piss more than a few people off. There are quite a few masculine women and quite a few effeminate men out there. Best example I have, when I was interviewed for my job, one of the interviewers looked exactly like Chris Farley with a mullet, I didn't know what gender she was until she said her name was Stephanie. In any case, the Natal still seems like an idiotic idea. Full body motion control works well for simple arcade games, I'm not going to stand up and jump around my living room like an ADD child trying to kill people.

Saris Kai

Oct 5, 2009
Gender is a social construct, the Natal can recognize sex. This has the potential to completely turn me off Natal if it can't be over ridden.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
I feel sorry for the first boy or girl who ends up getting called out by Natal as being too girly or boyish.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, supercomputers all around the world are having problems doing this with high quality cameras and data cables and suddenly the pathetically underpowered x360 cpu does this with no visible lag using only the input from a usb cord...

I'd say it's just as staged as Milo.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
LOL if Natal is like you are a girl "HEY I am a boy!" I would laugh but I wouldn't be that surprised

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
The Thief said:
This has the potential to be very insulting, even more so than the Wii Balance board teasing fat children. Hopefully the gender recognition is 100% accurate, because I'd hate to have a kid's self esteem kicked in the teeth by a video game peripheral.

On a side note, if the game detects a female player will it automatically lower the difficulty settings? That would be hilarious.
Trust me, it won't be. Not with all the odd situations that can arise, or even completely natural variation.

And doubly so with children, because there the differences are even smaller.

And having a machine insist you're a male (or female, as the case may be), when you're not...

Ugh.

I hope there's an option to over-ride it. >_<