Videogame Characters "Lack Diversity," Study Finds

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
L.B. Jeffries said:
ShredHead said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
No one has said this is offensive, just that it's tedious and redundant.

Do you not even get the slightest hint that these people find it offensive?

I do.

But still... Who cares!
You're the one claiming that this guy has declared that all game developers are racist and is offended by the lack of diversity in games. He's just trying to say that it's there.

And I care. I wish games would tackle more complex topics and themes and part of that includes racism and ethnicity. It's perfectly valid to say there isn't enough diversity in games and as a consequence, their subject matter remains trite and juvenile.
Look, to me, it seems like the source thinks it's some big problem, which I think it isn't.

Also you are asking way too much, for one thing having such a game would dramatically reduce the fun you had playing it because you would have to seriously think about it, I'm not saying there shouldn't be this kind of game I'm just saying it's unlikely to happen because not many people think like you.

Besides, complex stories and topics can be much easier found in books, games were really invented for a different purpose.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Cpt. Eduardo del Mango said:
ALL THE STUDY SAID is that there aren't many Hispanics in video games.
Looks to me like it's saying no playable, main characters are Hispanic. But any game like Fallout 3 where you choose your protagonist and said protagonist can be Hispanic should count.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Jumplion said:
When was the last time you've seen a women not portrayed as a sex toy?
Alyx Vance.
Granted, she is a NPC, but she is one of the strongest, most unsexed woman in video games right now.
OT, I think this is pretty ridiculous, the majority of gamers are white males, so they make games with white males as the lead character.
I personally don't care who my main character is, as long as they are likeable.
I would like to see more diversity in game characters too, but more in the form of no more space marines.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
New study shows multiple stab wounds harmful to monkeys. Really, any gamer already knows this to be true. We just don't care because we're not actively trying to find identity in our games.

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
Jumplion said:
Foolishman1776 said:
I'd say this is quite simply a case of a psychologist who hasn't done anything important with his degree, and so decided to get his name out there by accusing the video game industry of being a tool of the white man. It's quite simply not even worth considering.
Where has he ever accused the video game industry of anything? You're jumping the gun and falling from the window behind it, all he's providing is a statistic of 150 game across 9 platforms with all ratings, nothing more nothing less. How accurate this study is, that's debatable, but no where has this man ever blamed or accused the industry of racism or hate, just a lack of "variety" which is true.
There's truth, and then there's interpreting facts. The only actual number mentioned was that of the female gamers, and there's no real mention of how any of this was determined. Beyond this, the claim is made that Latin children play more video games than white children. I'm more than a little curious to know how THAT was determined.

Really it doesn't matter that he's not "accusing" anyone. He's jumping on the bandwagon and making determinations about games based on what probably amounts to his own opinions. Beyond this, I've tried to make Latin or Asian looking characters with games that allow a lot of facial customization, and they all end up looking white anyway. Which brings us to my final point, why does it matter? Race is disappearing on this planet. I mean, I can usually tell just by looking if a person is black from Africa, or from America, why? Because most people of African descent who have been in the United States for more than a few generations have some white ancestors. In time race will disappear altogether, especially in the US, so why do we insist on making it part of our identity?

Mar 27, 2008
Foolishman1776 said:
There's truth, and then there's interpreting facts. The only actual number mentioned was that of the female gamers, and there's no real mention of how any of this was determined. Beyond this, the claim is made that Latin children play more video games than white children. I'm more than a little curious to know how THAT was determined.
There's no link to the actual study - how on earth are you criticising his methods?

Foolishman1776 said:
Really it doesn't matter that he's not "accusing" anyone. He's jumping on the bandwagon and making determinations about games based on what probably amounts to his own opinions.
YOU'RE JUDGING AN ACADEMIC STUDY FROM A 300 WORD SUMMARY ON GAMEPOLITICS. How's that for making determinations about things based on your own opinions?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I want to make my real point first, before I respond to some stuff other people said. Did we need to fund a study to make this apparent? I mean, this is one of those things where science proves what was common sense. I could've observed this, and probably for a lot less money than those guys got paid (like, free!).

The sad bit for me is that we've pretty much ignored that videogames are overly white. That we need a study to say this (although, there's been an article on the Escapist on this previously) in order to draw attention to it is bullshit. But looking over the comments, I found pretty much general apathy to this. The trouble, to me, is not so much that videogames have too many white protagonists, but they go out of their way to be white. All those war games where we endlessly storm the beaches at Normandy (which always seems to take like two minutes, for an invasion that took nearly the whole day to get off the beaches) totally ignore the fact there were black units operating out there. And GTAIV features an Eastern European immigrant? In 2008? You know how many of our immigrants (legal and illegal) are Eastern Europeans? Nearly nothing. There's only one way to sell a black protagonist to white consumers: make him a gangsta because white boys in the 'burbs already think that's how blacks are anyways. Everyone else is just a side character.

ShredHead said:
Um, gotta say.

Who cares?

The reasons they're mainly white males is because that's the most simple character to make, and can't really be called offensive.

Besides, a lot of very popular games are made by white males, and they probably don't want to make a game about an elderly black woman just to please certain minorities.
Wait, what? How is that first point true? Are Caucasian features easier to code, or something? Is white skin easier to model? I don't understand how you made that observation. That doesn't seem logical to me at all. Maybe it's the most simple character to make if the programmer is white, because it's the first character to occur. The second point makes slightly more sense, but the reality is that videogame developers don't call the shots, unless they happen to also be publishers. Publishers would love new markets. The key here is the "underserved" bit at the end.

Booze Zombie said:
You know what's even better than diversity? Not giving a shit about what colour someone is.
Colorblind is not an appropriate response. In America we're somewhat more cognizant to the fact that overlooking is pretty harmful in itself (although, sometime when people grow up in an all white neighborhood miles away from the nearest black person, they seem to think the problem's solved, because they don't deal with it). As long as media implies that "the norm" is white, then the people who do discriminate, who do give a shit what color someone is, will continue to feel motivated to keep minority populations down. Because after all, change is bad. We wouldn't want the status quo to change, now would we? What if black becomes beautiful? The the black ram will tup the white ewe, to quote Shakespeare. And that's a bad deal for Whitey McDiscriminatory. Sure, McDis is an awful person, and the majority of (white) people don't support his policy of telling non-whites to shove it, as long as they don't speak out because they're busy ignoring our differences, he can say whatever he want and be relatively unassailable, because the only people who would complain would be non-whites, and they would complain, wouldn't they?

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
A new study confirms nobody cares and that every member of PC brigade has been found dead.

Source: Any newspaper, 31/10/2009.

Let's hope someone does it. Seriously, people care too much these days.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Who wants to play as an old person?
Seriously.

"WATCH AS I KILL NAZIS WITH MY HIP BREAKER!"
*horrid cracking sound*
"Medic..."

But this is why I like RPGs - you can make your own character - problem solved, nobody can *****.
Hey, roleplaying old characters kicks ass.

"-Watch out, a trap!
- GAAAH MY HEART!!... Just kidding."

Or hitting people by an accident with a walking stick.

Still, I don't get what's the big deal. You want diversity, play MMOs, they let you play anything from a white or black person to even a green elf.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I think that's less videogame characters in itself and more just characters in entertainment mediums in general. I mean look on TV, almost entirely white casts with maybe the odd ethnic variety added in.
I think this shouldn't just be pointed at games but indeed our own society in general.

Twinzero

May 8, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Gears of War is probably a "top 150" kind of game. If I'm not mistaken Dom is certainly playable and definitely "recognizably Hispanic." It seems plausible that because he is only playable in co-op that he isn't counted. In that case I'm not sure I trust this study as reasonably comprehensive.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ah well, won't affect my kids none.

*psst* It's because they would be white.

This "Lack of Identity" bullshit is along the same lines as Joe Quesada's belief that Spider-Man is unrelatable to his audience because he is married. NO! It's because HE'S FUCKING SPIDER-MAN! Does making a space marine gay/latino/black/cherokee make kids feel that they too are space marines? Personally, I would want a little less immersion for these kids so that dumbassed sociologists stop blaming videogames for putting kids in fantasy world that cause them to not distinguish reality from games.

When I stop seeing differing groups perpetuating stereotypes, THEN I'll happily argue for removing gender/racial cliche's from media. When ALL white people stop being nascar-watching rednecks, blacks getting gold tootheses and rims, gays put away the hot pink thong and the lisp while parading down the street, then AND ONLY then can people ***** about over-representation of one cultural/gender/racial type

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Make Mario a homosexual biracial [in this case, black and spanish]transgender that holds a top level executive job.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
j0z said:
Jumplion said:
When was the last time you've seen a women not portrayed as a sex toy?
Alyx Vance.
Granted, she is a NPC, but she is one of the strongest, most unsexed woman in video games right now.
Don't forget Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. What about Mirror's Edge, too? But beyond those games (which all seem to portray characters of sort of neutral race, strangely enough. It's like white women and black women can't take any form but sexualized) I think Jumplion's probably pretty correct. Between us we though of three. I'll bet we can all think of a dozen different examples that counter those characters.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
You know who makes the vast majority of video games? White people (and Japanese people, who aren't exactly known for their diverse culture). This is why nearly all the playable characters are white, not because the MAN is trying to hold the minorities down. For God's sake.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RebelRising said:
I clicked on this article to see what a study made of the generic and overused character archetypes that make up most lead characters and NPCs, and how to develop better writing and more diverse personalities in gaming beyond the damsel in distress or space marine.

Instead, it's about race. Again. *sigh*
Well, it said in the title that a "study finds" it. That should have tipped you off.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Cpt. Eduardo del Mango said:
Oh man, oh man. What a thread. A study comes up about race, and everyone flips their nut.
Every time you point out that there sure are a lot of white people around, some of them start lining up to prove how post-racial they are. "Oh, hey, I didn't notice all these white people," they say. Or "You know, I'm totally comfortable with all these white people here." Then they eye you angrily like you just let some big secret slip out.

-- Alex

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
To take a minority I can relate to, homosexuality. Sure there aren't many gays in games, but guess what? I don't care. At all. The only time race/gender/sexuality etc. come into things relating to games in my mind is these assbackwards studies into pointless figures.

I don't care, neither should the moron that made this study.