Videogame characters that you disliked initially, but warmed up to later

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Leliana in Dragon Age : Origins

I found her to be incredibly annoying throughout most of the game. I then decided to play her DLC Mission Leliana's Song. I liked her character a lot more throughout the whole thing, and once it's finally over I could kinda see why she acts the way that she does throughout the main game. Made me appreciate her character a lot more.

Also Lilly in The Walking Dead

I really didn't like her in Episode 1, in Episode 2 I made a determined effort to try to be nicer to her and her Dad. I tried saving her Dad even(which led to me hating Kenny throughout the rest of the game, until he helped Ben). She actually started to grow on me, and in the beginning of Episode 3 I was with her all the way. And then Lilly had to go and shoot Carley, my favorite character in the game up to that point! I was so freaking pissed off... I didn't even give it a second thought when I decided to leave her to die.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
BleedingPride said:
I was one of those guys initially disliking the new Dante in DmC, but i ended up absolutely loving the game.

On a side note, has anyone else seen the concept art for that game? Jesus, what were they planning initially? If it wasn't for the damn fan base they could have gotten something truly special. Don't get me wrong DmC is amazing, but that shit would have brought out the inner punk in me.
That's what I was thinking as well, all that concept art looked incredible.

If there wasn't so much God damn whining, the game would have probably looked much more different and pure in it's "punk" aesthetics. (and much better if you ask me)

Funnily enough, even though I really liked the final product, a part of me kinda wanted to the see the more darker imagery from the first 2010 trailer.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Luca72 said:
Vivec in Morrowind! I did my research on this ************ and came to the conclusion that he had not only (SPECULATIVE SPOILER?) murdered Nerevar, but then tricked the populous into thinking he was a benevolent God just to establish a cult. Even when I met him, I didn't like him (so I decided to see if I could kill him - ATRONACH SIGN, BABY!). After he suggested sacrificing his immortality for the greater good though, I warmed up to him a bit. I read some more in-game literature on his history and found that sometimes he's willing to screw people over to further his own goals, but in general he actually helped people a lot.

Though there's still a possibility that I'll lock his soul in Azura's Star and claim his badass city as my own :p
Absolutely. He's the only one of the Tribunal I view as sympathetic, mainly because he did eventually seem to realize that maybe the whole "let's become living gods!" idea wasn't so great. Almalexia always struck me as megalomaniacal and Sotha Sil as amoral and uncaring.

Moving on, as already mentioned Bioware is pretty damn good at this. I'll second pretty much every Dragon Age and Mass Effect character mentioned so far.

Now that I've played Halo 4, I'm going to throw in the Master Chief, who bored me through three whole games until he started showing signs of being a human being, and one who may actually be kind of interesting. Hopefully 343 will do more with that, because there's no way I'm reading those Halo books to learn more about him. I tried to once and they were awful. I'd still rather play the Arbiter again, though, who I suppose had the same evolution but over a period of about an hour.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
Serana from Skyrim. At first I couldn't stand her or her attitude. That changed when I told her I needed to trade some things with her. She said, "This better not be the things you can't be bothered with." I became quite fond of her after that.
Shale and Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins. When I first met them, they annoyed the hell out of me, especially Shale referring to everyone as "it." But they eventually grew on me, and I hope they return for DA3.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
drh1975 said:
Serana from Skyrim. At first I couldn't stand her or her attitude. That changed when I told her I needed to trade some things with her. She said, "This better not be the things you can't be bothered with." I became quite fond of her after that.
I was shocked and confused by Serana, because her dialogue is of unusually high quality for Bethesda. She's one of the few characters in Skyrim I actually liked.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Falsetto in Eternal Sonata was originally pretty snobbish towards the other people of the rebel group, but very slowly you get to see her true character and her true feelings towards people. It also translated really well into the game as well. In the beginning, her moves were pretty weak and her specials were nothing, but eventually her fast combo building and respectable damage made her one of the most fun characters to play with.

maconlon439

Nov 16, 2011
Edna Strickland from the Back to the Future game. Her transition from slightly annoying side character to the main villian made her a person I loved to hate and therefore she worked as a villian. She was a better villian than the original Kid Tannen, who was as cliched a twenties gangster as you could get.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Norrdicus said:
Kreia

Fellow Kotor 2 fans, can I get a "Hell yeah"?
I've always liked Kreia for calling into question the typical black-and-white morality most Star Wars stories tend to subscribe to, actually...

OT:

None that I can think of, unfortunately.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
I never thought much of Serph, until Digital Devil Saga 2, right after the battle with Vritra. Ironically, it was right about the time I was given a reason to despise him. Serph finally became a fully realized character, and suddenly I cared. And then I could empathize with what he is through that the two games had been building up all along through my actions. I could see myself in him, in ways I did not like, at just the same time Serph was realizing it too.

I cannot think of a story successfully redeeming itself further or faster than moment. A very satisfying reward for defeating the toughest non-optional boss in the series.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Tali from Mass Effect...
Took me 4 playthoughs until I stopped hating her for being a total Nazi.
I still think that shes a Nazi, but a Nazi with redeeming value (dat ass).

Also, Vega. He is annoying, but he is after all just trying to impress his greatest idol.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Garrus from Mass Effect, its not that I hated him or really disliked him I just was pretty indifferent he was really boring to me. However he became a favorite Character of mine in Mass Effect 2.