Videogames Made Halo 3 Killer Do It After All

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Videogames Made Halo 3 Killer Do It After All

It turns out that the judge who presided over the case of Daniel Petric, the teenager who killed his mother in a dispute over Halo 3 [http://www.halo3.com], believes videogames are primarily responsible for the killing after all.

Petric was 16 when he rejected the claim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88151], saying there was evidence that he had plotted for weeks to kill them and that videogame addiction is not a valid defense for murder.

Initial reaction to the verdict among gamers was positive, but it turns out that Judge James Burge isn't quite as enlightened as many had hoped. Burge made it quite clear after handing down his decision that he was compelled to find Petric guilty, but that in his opinion Petric suffers from a "serious defect of the mind," and that videogames are responsible.

"The Court must enter a finding of guilty on the counts set forth in the indictment. That being said, it's my firm belief as a human being - and not as a jurist - that Daniel does suffer from a serious defect of the mind," Burge said in a transcript put together by GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/01/13/judge-comes-down-hard-video-games-halo-3-murder-trial]. "This Court's opinion is that we don't know enough about these video games. In this particular case, not so much the violence of the game because I believe in the Halo 3, what it amounts to is a contest to see who can shoot the most aliens who attack."

"It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing. The dopamine surge, the stimulation of the nucleus accumbens - the same as an addiction. Such that when you stop, your brain won't stand for it," he continued. "The other dangerous thing about these games, in my opinion, is that when these changes occur, they occur in an environment that is delusional. Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

Naturally, Burge's comments have resulted in a dramatic turn-around in opinion among those who just a day ago were hailing him for not swallowing any nonsense about videogames causing people to kill their mothers; now it seems the best thing anyone can say about him is that he's at least able to set aside his personal beliefs while following the letter of the law. He also appears to believe that despite the guilty finding, Petric's case may not yet be over.

"But I believe there is hope here," he said. "I believe that it will start here and, uh, at some point when all is known about Daniel and what occurred here we will be able to achieve a greater sense of justice."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
"This Court's opinion is that we don't know enough about these video games. In this particular case, not so much the violence of the game because I believe in the Halo 3, what it amounts to is a contest to see who can shoot the most aliens who attack."

As far as I understand, the job of a judge is to stop people arguing by banging a hammer on the table.
Basic facts: correct. Understanding of said facts: nil...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Jesus Christ, not more of this nonsense.
I hope somebody finally does some serious trails and proves one thing or the other, because I'm sick of people truly not understanding videogames.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
It is my opinion that as a person, not just a forum member, that jurists should stick to their respective positions and not comment on the effects of dopamine surges that come from Halo 3. You know what else causes a dopamine surge? Sex. Ban it I say!

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
"Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

This just made me cringe. Really? You think that this guy believed that if he killed his parents that they would respawn tomorrow? Really? He was 16... I think that you pretty much understand this part of life at that age.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
*sigh* This is going to have some bad reprecussions, despite this judge coming across like the "The Internet is a Series of Tubes" guy. The whole "We don't know enough about these "Video Games"" statement makes me worried.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
No, no, no, no, no, no, no god damn it news like THIS makes me want to shoot someone not the actual video games...

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
God, why do I feel that this is going to be used a fuel to pass that BS bill that is trying to put a warning label on Teen or above rated games. Were just lucky that Jacko has been disbarred or he would be over this like white on rice on a paper plate with a glass of milk in a snow storm.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Ooh, not the fact that he's a freaking psychopath that would easily, gladly kill both his parents out of spite, revenge. Nope. The videogames. They were the cause.

Would it have been any different if he was addicted to bad B zombie movies, and he wasn't allowed to see those?

.. I don't like stereotyping, but christ. He looks like a thug.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Well, at least he ended by saying this kid needs to be seriously studied so that a definitive answer is found. He's entitled to his opinion, but I do agree that if there is some kind of mental disorder in a small portion of the population that reacts poorly to video games, it needs to be addressed.

The_General

Sep 13, 2008
If some idiot manages to get this idiot to represent the entire gaming community, I am calling the ICA (International Contract Agency).

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Right, I'm ordering a box full of lancers, crowbars and gravity hammers and we're going to go kick some ass!

Video games causes violent behaviour my left foot!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Actually, there is some truth to the court's opinion. Having an addiction to chocolate or nicotine is ought to be different than an addiction to a virtual reality where violence is the king, when it affects a weakened mind within a disputable familial context. The issue, however, lies in the causality and the obvious risk of turning this into ammo against games, because it has been a violent game (not as violent as some others) like it could have been a violent TV show, a violent film, a violent rock band and whatever.

What is clear is that the parents were not transmitting the right values to their son, either because they were misinformed, underinformed and thus incapable of doing what was right, or because they had no authority or didn't care enough, or maybe a bit of all.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Brokkr said:
"Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

This just made me cringe. Really? You think that this guy believed that if he killed his parents that they would respawn tomorrow? Really? He was 16... I think that you pretty much understand this part of life at that age.
Yeah and he could choose where they respawn with the Forge editor...

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
What a tool.

I know that seems simplistic but think about it.

He's just a tool. We need to identify his handler :)

Khadath

Sep 10, 2008
NO! NO! NO! That kid need to have a bullet put through his head, don't waste tax payers money, don't waste the courts time just take him behind the shed and shoot him.

He was a cold blooded killer nothing less.

he stole the game back, took his Dads handgun than walked up to them and said "Would you close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

They trusted him and thought they were getting a nice surprise, then he shot them and ran off with the game.
Not take the game back and play it with the sound off like a normal fucking addict would have, but nooooo he had to shoot them.

You know what better just send him to Iraq or some other America hating country wearing a US flag, have fun douche-bag.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I play Halo 3 most days and I've never EVER had the urge to kill anyone (except a couple of complete tits I knew at school a few years back. But I digress...). Fine, ban games like Manhunt where the emphasis is on killing for the sadistic pleasure of it, because those are sick. But don't blame videogames in general for one person's stupidity because he happened to be addicted to games. Does that judge have kids? Grandkids? How many hours a day do THEY play games, I wonder...?