Videogames Make You Fat

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
TimeLord said:
I sit in front of my PS3 and computer for most of the night after work, I eat an ungodly amount of crap and I weight 8.5 stone

I rest my case
Hi-five!
Also, Doctor Who FTW!!!! (David Tennant is still the best!)

But to get back to the original topic, it may, and it may not.
I'm 15, sit on my ass playing games for the majority of the day, and weigh about 57kg (nearly 9st)

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
See, the funny thing is, video games don't make you fat. In fact, while you're playing a video game you're likely to be burning fat. Fat (the bad kind, saturated) comes animal-based foods like milk and poultry and steak. Eating alot of that, combined with being sedentary make people fat.
Some people who lack the gaming capacity to play super mario bros. are still as sedentary and as a fat as someone who raids hardcore on WoW every night. I'm not suggesting all gamers are fat though. I know I'm not. I made it to average.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Master_Spartan117666 said:
TimeLord said:
I sit in front of my PS3 and computer for most of the night after work, I eat an ungodly amount of crap and I weight 8.5 stone

I rest my case
Hi-five!
Also, Doctor Who FTW!!!! (David Tennant is still the best!)

But to get back to the original topic, it may, and it may not.
I'm 15, sit on my ass playing games for the majority of the day, and weigh about 57kg (nearly 9st)
*Receives Hi-five*
Yes, David is still the best (I prefer Christopher Eccleston over Matt Smith)

ANYWAY! Somehow getting back on topic as I don't want to be clobbered over the head by a mod with a hammer for derailment...

In addition to my original post, I am 19 and..... that was all I wanted to add. I had a point somewhere... Something to do with the fact that I'm 19 and that I have spend most of my teenage life as I do now and still fail to reach 10 stone yet

Zemnexx

May 24, 2008
Yeah, playing video games does not make you fat... it increases your chances of being fat as it is less healthy than say playing an athletic sport, but certainly doesn't make you fat for you. I play video games usually from dusk till dawn and have no life whatsoever, but I eat healthy and just go for a 10-minute walk a day just to keep myself somewhat active. I weigh in at 135 pounds. Back when I used to get out all the time, play football, and only played video games about half the time I do now, but ate a lot of junk food. I weighed in at about 240 pounds. Do the math, sir.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Video games alone aren't our problem. They're a symptom of a larger realization in our society that as we become more economically and technologically developed, we begin to demand more in ergonomics, making ourselves more comfortable, and as that happens, any strain or discomfort begins to be thought of as a bad thing to be avoided, even if you don't want to. So whether you're playing games, watching TV, or sitting in an office chair most of your day, it all builds up to the same problem that gets harder and harder to get out of. I know, I've been down that road. I managed to squeeze myself away from that a few months ago, and I'm much happier and 50 pounds lighter for it.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
thefreeman0001 said:
ColdStorage said:
JEBWrench said:
Zealous Kringle said:
So all those people who wile away the long hours nose-deep in the pages of a book we, what, don't exist or something?
Don't we all read by running around our houses at top speed while staring at the pages?
Fuck it, i'm going to give it a try for science.
i dont recommend it. walls hurt but now i have a whole page of dialouge tattooed to my face from the wall i crashed into whilst reading. so swings and roundabouts :)
Tattoo's are cool!

I just hope its not the bit in Twilight where she goes "oh my god, your a sparkly pretty thing"

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
The very first line of my original post was, "More specifically, sitting in front of a computer/television screen all day makes you fat."

So after reading the responses that many of you posted, I have to wonder if most of you actually read my original post. If you did, you probably would've correctly guessed that I was only joking.

I am just like you (or how you claim to be). I sit in front of screens all day, often while eating unhealthy foods, yet I am not at all overweight. I could be healthier and more physically fit, I just lack the motivation to do anything about it. I was just annoyed by a recent article I read, so I thought I would satirize it and the hundreds of similar articles out there in the internets. (ref: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63Q5RJ20100427?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews )

I will now answer some questions,
Zhukov said:
Wait... people make love in front of screens?
Yes. Solitary love making is often called "masturbation", but when two people are involved (usually 1 man and 1 man-pretending-to-be-a-teenage-girl) then that is called "cyber-sex".

iLikeHippos said:
Just sitting still won't contribute to the amount of fat in your body. But if you eat unhealthy and don't do shit about counter-measuring it like a balance, than you might get fat.

In fact, if you sit still, you DO indeed burn fat. At least, that's what I am taught in school.

What's the upside?
You're training your brain capacity by doing these "anti-social" activities.
True, by simply being alive you are in fact burning calories. But don't you think you'd burn them faster by moving more appendages than just your thumbs? And what exactly are you training your brain for? I'm confuse.

tellmeimaninja said:
Really? Because I play video games a lot more often than most of my friends, and I'm a twig.

It's more the Triple Bacon Cheeseburgers and the KFC Double Down Suicide Sandwiches that cause the fatness. The video games just distract some from exercise.
Hey, back off the greasy food pal. I happen to be a big fan of fried food... and I have been eating it for over 2 decades. If it ever makes me fat I'll let you know.

Samurai Goomba said:
Supersize Me (as well as pretty much all health information ever) suggests that there's a LOT more to being thin and healthy than simply getting enough exercise.
I've seen that movie and it's stupid. What's the sequel gonna be like? Eating only chocolate for every meal for 2 weeks? Or how about eating only potatoes?

There's a thing called a "well balanced diet". McDonald's cannot provide this thing. If you believe it can then you are a special person.

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
well i don't know about other people but i lost 13 kilos the Dr said i need to gain weight and that is all video games

N.Manth

Dec 9, 2009
to risk sounding like a hippie, all things in moderation, too much gaming will make you fat just as too much exercise will wreck your joints (personal rant that one, rugby broke my knees, there just not the same anymore...)

a little bit of self-control and you'll be fine.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
GreatVladmir said:
I know the reason why I'm a fat bastard, I'm lazy and I love fatty foods.
Hear hear! I'm getting pudgy because I drink too much beer and eat fatty foods. Just because I do both of these things while gaming doesn't change that :p

painfull2006

Jul 2, 2008
duh..........................

it turns out not exercising and eating too much makes you fat as well!!
this is mega breaking news!

Martster

Rated EC-10 Condemned
Mar 17, 2010
Games don't make you fat, being lazy does!

You can still have a perfectly healthy lifestyle whilst enjoying being a gamer.

Sakuji

Apr 26, 2010
Everyone blames tv and videogames and computers for todays slovenly youth, I blame the the police mentality of the 80's here in the US. Growing up in Portland, OR, it became impossible for me or my high schools age friends to go out and have fun. The police harassed us at the rivers, in public parks, and on the streets. If we went cruising in a car, we would be pulled over and stopped, searched, and detained alongside the road for 1 to 2 hours. I was pulled over by police well over 100 times in a 2 year span. Not once did I get a ticket. Add to that the "stranger danger" posters and warnings on every tv station and taught in school, and it all added up to us sitting around in someones basement getting stoned or drunk, because we didn't want to go out and goof off. No wonder I sit in front of a computer for 16 hours a day now.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Sonicron said:
This just in: The sun is bright, rain is wet and human beings require oxygen to survive.
well i was grossly misinformed then! thank you