Videogames That Should Be Made Into Movies

Feb 13, 2008
smallharmlesskitten post=18.74946.853209 said:
Root: portal?
True, but Portal was already mentioned in the list. And can you imagine another load of people running around screaming "The Cake is a Lie!" :)

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
Newly released? Hmm, A Far Cry 2 movie would be worth a watch, but if I had my pick of any video game it would definately be Metal Gear Solid. Wonder who would play snake... Gerard Butler would be great. Aghhh fantasising...

EDIT: Holy shit, just googled that and it looks like Metal Gear Solid is going to be made into a movie :O. Don't know about Gerard Butler though... Christian Bale is rumored to be playing Snake. This could be good :D

http://mgs.moviechronicles.com/

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
All of this is bullshit.
Most of the games cited there would require plots for their movies which would just have no point using the game reference if not just to milk it more, at which point you know it would be just better to make an original IP straight for the silver screen.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
i know that resident evil 4 could have been a movie the story line was complex and it would have had a lot of badass effects one game though that shouldn't be made into a movie is god of war its just to good of a game to be made into one i saw the parady X play did and i thought it would suck wether they were seriuse or not

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74946.853204 said:
Games that 'could' be great movies.

No-one Lives Forever
Couldn't. Agree. More.

We don't have enough female spy movies anyway.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
If Grand Theft Auto IV were to be made into a movie, it'd have a horrible time getting past censors, classification boards and parents.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
PureChaos post=7.74946.853071 said:
on topic, im hoping the low budget zelda film wont be a disappointment when they do finally get round to releasing it.
Just so you know that was a April Fool's Joke that IGN did.

Good video game movies are a thing of the imagination of a fanboy. There won't be a good vg movie is to make the movie the writer has to take somewhere from 8-18hrs of story and gameplay and translate that into about a two hour movie. And a large portion of the movie will be spent on Big budget special effects and action scenes.

If you want that experience just play a Metal Gear Solid game.

bluemarsman

Apr 6, 2008
I think most games would do better as a TV series. Most of them are simply too long to compress into a movie.

buckythefly

Aug 6, 2008
sheic99 post=7.74946.855155 said:
on topic, im hoping the low budget zelda film wont be a disappointment when they do finally get round to releasing it.

Good video game movies are a thing of the imagination of a fanboy. There won't be a good vg movie is to make the movie the writer has to take somewhere from 8-18hrs of story and gameplay and translate that into about a two hour movie. And a large portion of the movie will be spent on Big budget special effects and action scenes.

If you want that experience just play a Metal Gear Solid game.
and then make popcorn during the 3 hours of cutscenes between game play elements XD

admanb

Jul 11, 2008
If a game does it's job, it shouldn't need to be made into a movie
This. The narrative of a game is nothing like the narrative of a movie. Most people would agree that the Half-Life series has a pretty good story that's very well presented, but I cannot imagine agreeing with an argument that says it could make a good movie. Ditto Portal.

Games are just not suited to movie remakes. Spin-off stories? That's feasible. There are game settings that could have a good story written into them, but just like any movie you need a brilliant writer to write a brilliant movie, a brilliant director to direct it, etc etc etc.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
sheic99 post=7.74946.855155 said:
that was a different one, there is a proper film being made by BMB Finishes, http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/main.php?page=fanmovie.html

Shoyuu

Oct 27, 2008
I would only accept Portal as a movie if it was a musical. Imagine GLaDOS singing about the mission while Chell and other random characters do a dance similar to those in the West Side Story. That would surely be epic.
I think Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask would make a great movie~
Perfect Dark and MGS make sense but I think Mario 64 would have to be my ultimate choice.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
I'd have to say two Yahtzee-approved videogames: Killer7 and No More Heroes. The depth of their satire, the visual appeal, and the mostly stand-alone enemies make them suitable candidates to me.

Otherwise, not a movie, but I think Skies of Arcadia should be made into an anime. Not lame OVAs like Tales of Symphonia, but a full length anime series.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Melaisis post=7.74946.853688 said:
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.74946.853204 said:
Games that 'could' be great movies.

No-one Lives Forever
Couldn't. Agree. More.

We don't have enough female spy movies anyway.
Won't happen unless somehow there is a revived interest in the 1960s.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
how bout x-3 the offical game:the movie?
no

how bout painkiller... it actually had a semi-story and it has enough blood and gore AND tragedy in it

Narthlotep

Oct 22, 2008
Fine, here's one that people shouldn't mind too much, either Zone of the Enders (just get the Neon Genesis Evangallion people to do it,) or The Bouncer, yes the bouncer; it has just about the right length, and it's been a while since a movie about being a bar brawler has come out.