Villains you intentionally (or unintentionally) root for.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
laststandman said:
David Bowie (AKA Jareth the goblin king) in "Labyrinth"

Mostly because I love David Bowie as an actor.
Amazing. Yes. You win sir. I am in complete agreement.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Dr. Horrible. :) Mostly because Captain Hammer is a Douchebag (with a capital "d"). Also, if you haven't seen "Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog" you need to fix that right now. Like NOW.
NOW!
[HEADING=1]DO IT!!![/HEADING]

EDIT: I kind of rooted for Suigintou in Rozen Maiden. She's just so cool, it's hard not to root for her. ^^

D3l7a3ch0

Sep 7, 2010
I wished someone would successfully wield the Ring, even when I read it way back when.

frodo shouldn't have been such a hog, and given a bigger man a chance.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Anyone who can be labelled a villain in a Riddick film/game.

Why?

Because you have to be pretty damn evil to make Riddick look like the unambiguous good guy, this explains why most of the time he's being pitted against sadistic, psychotic, child molesting, rapist, merciless, kitten stomping, emotionless, space mercenary motherfuckers (as in literal fuckers of mothers) with about as much tact and subtlety about their moral alignment as a saturday morning cartoon villain.

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
Kimiko Ross (depending on your view.)
I submit this as why she could destroy everybody [http://dresdencodak.com/2007/11/04/the-impasse/]
still, anyone here want to claim they can't sympathize? [http://dresdencodak.com/2007/12/17/no-side/]

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
theSovietConnection said:
I would root for the Helghast. Mostly because of the backstory, but also because of fucking Rico.
Me too, if you actually read the Timeline of KillZone the guys your playing The ISA are actually the bad guys trying to farm Helghast for their own greed, the Helghan are just trying to protect themselves as best they can.

Also the Helghan are passionate speakers with awesome voices, I actually prefer playing as them online for Colonel Radec's rousing speachers "SLAUGHTER THEM ALL! LEAVE NO ONE ALIVE!".

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
I almost don't know where to start with this. I support the "bad guy" about fifty percent of the time when I'm consuming fiction, so my list is sort of large. Therefore, I shall summarise it:

The Joker, of course, especially when he's Mark Hamill. Anyone who remains obscenely funny while attempting/performing mass murder deserves plenty of praise.

The Master from Doctor Who. All of space and time will be his to command!

Angelus from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, solely because he is by an enourmous margin the most intelligent character in either series. Seriously, if Angel was as smart as him he wouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

Vetinari from Discworld, again because he is ridiculously intelligent and not afraid to use it at every opportunity to screw with everyone else.

David Xanatos from Gargoyles, another being of immense mind and will who plays not on the side of good or evil, but whichever side will benefit himself for the moment.

And finally, the Chaos faction in Warhammer 40000. Granted, finding any "good guys" in this setting is more a matter of relative evil than anything else, but Chaos surpass them all. They just want to turn every planet into a twisted amalgam of nightmares where physics is a fun joke you tell your friends. Is that so wrong?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Doctor Horrible, naturally. He is awesome and sweet all at once. :)

Hades from Disney's Hercules. James Woods = win.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Wire yet. I realise calling Stringer Bell a villain is doing the depth of the character a disservice, but I really wanted to see his plans come to fruition and for him to "get out". In the end though, Avon was right. They "saw his ghetto ass coming a mile away." I really wanted Clay Davis to get busted though. :/

blackguard89

Aug 5, 2010
Dante's brother Vergil , from Devil May Cry 3 special edition :D.
He looks like Dante but he has a more badass personality in my opinion.
Also looks cool with that blue coat and katana he's wielding :D

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Andrew Ryan. He set out to make an independant utopia and corruption brought it crashing down.

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Jon Irenicus,everything that man did was bad-ass
When you escape the dungeon, the first things he does:
1. Kill a bunch of Shadow Thieves (who had just attacked you)
2. Kill a bunch of Cowled Wizards (who are soooo annoying throughout the game)
3. Capture whiny Imoen (lulz, you can have her)

I ended up rooting for some evil characters of George RR Martin's Ice and Fire series, but only because nothing ever fucking good happened to the GOOD characters of the story. I was perpetually disappointed until I began thinking of it from other characters' perspectives.
MINDFUCKS

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
every time i watch investigation discovery i always cheer for the criminal(except on FBI Files)

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
Calatar said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Jon Irenicus,everything that man did was bad-ass
When you escape the dungeon, the first things he does:
1. Kill a bunch of Shadow Thieves (who had just attacked you)
2. Kill a bunch of Cowled Wizards (who are soooo annoying throughout the game)
3. Capture whiny Imoen (lulz, you can have her)

I ended up rooting for some evil characters of George RR Martin's Ice and Fire series, but only because nothing ever fucking good happened to the GOOD characters of the story. I was perpetually disappointed until I began thinking of it from other characters' perspectives.
MINDFUCKS
You kind of have to root for the evil characters in that series because
Consist of one man who had his head cut off at the end of the first book

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Hallowed Lady said:
Mikeyfell said:
Deviltongue said:
L wasn't really the villain. He was the antagonist but Light was still the villain.
that's kind of your opinion. all through death note Light was doing the right thing. he's no worse than batman.
He killed a few people who didn't deserve it but they were trying to stop him from killing bad guys.
if you look at it objectively L and the police were the ones using the underhanded tactics to try and stop a vigilante do-gooder from killing criminals

I'd take it if you played Mass Effect You'd think Garrus was the evilest thing since sliced evil bread
Sorry. got to disagree with you there.
Light was a villain as time went on, he became very...well unjustified and egoitscal, Garrus never came across that way to me. I think what makes a hero and villain is the personality allot of the time.

OT: I support the villains who are smart and still use common sense.
Death note is probably the hardest thing to separate into a good pile and bad pile
it's all a matter of your personal philosophy
I don't think Light was ever a bad person, I think he went crazy at the end from all the pressure of trying to create his perfect crime free world.
and I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
Yes, but Light's personlity was that of a villain, a crazy one but still a bad guy. Yes he HAD good intentions, but those can pave the road to hell and, well when you end up killing tons of people and try to say what you did was right, then that's just insane. He was never a good guy in my view, just someone given too much power who ended up thinking he was God.

HighHoax

N/A
Oct 13, 2009
A few villians from Cowboy Bebop I tend to root for, or maybe at the very least feel bad for. Normally characters that fight for their own beliefs but in the wrong way. I guess villians/anti-heroes.

From Cowboy bebop:

-The little boy who doesn't age from episode: Sympathy for the Devil.

-Cowboy Andy (just for giggles)

-Asimov Solensan and his girlfriend from episode: Asteroid Blues.

From a Game:

-Asch the Bloody from Tales of the Abyss (He was kind of a villian, sorta. :p)

Oh and from a movie I guess Kadaj from Advent children.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Hallowed Lady said:
Mikeyfell said:
Hallowed Lady said:
Mikeyfell said:
Deviltongue said:
L wasn't really the villain. He was the antagonist but Light was still the villain.
that's kind of your opinion. all through death note Light was doing the right thing. he's no worse than batman.
He killed a few people who didn't deserve it but they were trying to stop him from killing bad guys.
if you look at it objectively L and the police were the ones using the underhanded tactics to try and stop a vigilante do-gooder from killing criminals

I'd take it if you played Mass Effect You'd think Garrus was the evilest thing since sliced evil bread
Sorry. got to disagree with you there.
Light was a villain as time went on, he became very...well unjustified and egoitscal, Garrus never came across that way to me. I think what makes a hero and villain is the personality allot of the time.

OT: I support the villains who are smart and still use common sense.
Death note is probably the hardest thing to separate into a good pile and bad pile
it's all a matter of your personal philosophy
I don't think Light was ever a bad person, I think he went crazy at the end from all the pressure of trying to create his perfect crime free world.
and I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
Yes, but Light's personlity was that of a villain, a crazy one but still a bad guy. Yes he HAD good intentions, but those can pave the road to hell and, well when you end up killing tons of people and try to say what you did was right, then that's just insane. He was never a good guy in my view, just someone given too much power who ended up thinking he was God.
Yeah. He was pretty insane by the end, but I still wanted him to win.