Villains you intentionally (or unintentionally) root for.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
infinity_turtles said:
Ladd Russo and Claire Stanfield aka The Rail Tracer, both from Baccano!, are my favorite sort of villains, and I always root for characters like them.
Claire isn't a villain, he's more of an anti-hero, at least in that case. Sure, he killed lots of folks rather brutally, but generally speaking they had it coming. Unless you're also referring to the light novels, with which I am not familiar.

OT: The Galactic Empire. Seriously ***** about "high human culture" all you want, but humans are the only ones who ever do anything in that universe, with an alien occasionally thrown in to make poeple forget that.

Plus, part of me feels like Alderaan kind of had it coming. They seem to me like the elf race from every high fantasy work ever that acts like it's so much better than everyone else, and there not being an Alderaan anymore goes to show the galaxy how untrue that is. Kind of like how destroying the Death star showed the Empire to be vincible. I also really disliked the republic, which brings me to villain number 2...

Every faction ever named "The Confederacy", largely because I'm one of the increasingly few people who know what a Confederacy actually is and want one. The Confederacy of Independant Systems, for example, because I dislike the Republic and think the Jedi needed to have the smug blasted out of them and their BS ideas about what constitutes freedom (some Senator from Alderaan should have no say in the affairs of Corulag) ground under the metal heels of the Confederacy's droid armies. If you want a modern example of a Confederacy, the European Union is a good place to start.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Sneaky-Pie said:
The humans in Avatar.

I wanted them to win so badly.
Agreed. Fuck those giant smurf-freaks. Who gives them the right to dictate what we do!

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Sneaky-Pie said:
The humans in Avatar.

I wanted them to win so badly.
Same!

And I route for all the villains, because they should win regardless.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Too many to name, but one popped into my head immediately.

I wanted the king with the overly long name in Paolini's books to win so badly. I also wish Murtagh would have gutted the little bastard like he deserved.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
The douche from Lazytown. I wan't to sleep! not get woken up by a crazy, steroid using pedophile and his singing, twelve year old "companion".

And I can't count the number of times that I've wished that Yu Yevon would summon penance to fight against me in the final boss fight.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Del-Toro said:
infinity_turtles said:
Ladd Russo and Claire Stanfield aka The Rail Tracer, both from Baccano!, are my favorite sort of villains, and I always root for characters like them.
Claire isn't a villain, he's more of an anti-hero, at least in that case. Sure, he killed lots of folks rather brutally, but generally speaking they had it coming. Unless you're also referring to the light novels, with which I am not familiar.
True. I just listed him because I root for that sort of character, even when they are the villain.

Apr 1, 2009
I am Omega said:
-The dude from "Law Abiding Citizen". An ok movie, but the villian was the showstealer here. The only downside is that his IQ seems to drop several points at the final act.
-The humans from Avatar. Just because it would have made the ending funny.
Also, for generality:
Any time the villian is a manipulative evil genuis (see movie choice)
Any time the villian is more interesting than the hero.(Translation: the hero annoys me.)
I agree on all counts.

If the humans won in Avatar, at least ONE thing would have made sense in that movie. Besides, then there would have been less hippie bullshit, and they might have looked beyond Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, and Smurfs for ideas. I mean really, it's Fern Gully 3D on crack, and with guns.

I also root for the villain in any other movie where the only logical conclusion is the victory of the villain, because they're generally more interesting anyway, even though you almost never get to hear their story... And even though they always lose...

Also, I haven't seen anyone say Darth Vader! Come on!

I would say Rorschach form Watchmen (the comic, still haven't gotten around to seeing the movie...) but he isn't a villain per se, although ultimately he is aligned against the protagonists. He's more of a neutral character, which is part of the reason I rooted for him I guess.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ganondorf, we saw him have a short 7 year victory, now let's have him just wipe out Link and Zelda, only for them to be renicarnated or whatever it is that makes different Links and Zeldas, about a century later. Lets see what Ganondorf can do in 100 years.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007

Voiced by George Sanders [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8lWYhepW0]

Voiced by George C. Scott [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9S1Hk975U]

Voiced by Jeremy Irons

Voiced by BRIAN BLESSED [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94]

Voiced by Keith David
If it hasen't ever seemed apparent to anyone, one of the facets of every Disney villain is a rather inordinate amount of charisma they have.
It should be entirely apparent that I love all of these despicable people :3

Kizna

Feb 18, 2010
Terminate421 said:
To protect the world from devastation!
To unite all peoples from within our nation!

Meowth! That's right!

In other words, agreed. :p

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Anarchemitis said:
If it hasen't ever seemed apparent to anyone, one of the facets of every Disney villain is a rather inordinate amount of charisma they have.
It should be entirely apparent that I love all of these despicable people :3
OH YES! They are so much more interesting and charming than those airhead protagonists! (Well, okay, they aren't all airheads, but there are more airheaded Disney protagonists than airheaded antagonists. Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Jasmine, I'm looking at you. Belle gets leeway because of Stockholm Syndrome.)

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Hallowed Lady said:
Mikeyfell said:
Hallowed Lady said:
Mikeyfell said:
Deviltongue said:
L wasn't really the villain. He was the antagonist but Light was still the villain.
that's kind of your opinion. all through death note Light was doing the right thing. he's no worse than batman.
He killed a few people who didn't deserve it but they were trying to stop him from killing bad guys.
if you look at it objectively L and the police were the ones using the underhanded tactics to try and stop a vigilante do-gooder from killing criminals

I'd take it if you played Mass Effect You'd think Garrus was the evilest thing since sliced evil bread
Sorry. got to disagree with you there.
Light was a villain as time went on, he became very...well unjustified and egoitscal, Garrus never came across that way to me. I think what makes a hero and villain is the personality allot of the time.

OT: I support the villains who are smart and still use common sense.
Death note is probably the hardest thing to separate into a good pile and bad pile
it's all a matter of your personal philosophy
I don't think Light was ever a bad person, I think he went crazy at the end from all the pressure of trying to create his perfect crime free world.
and I think worthy goals can excuse bad choices
Yes, but Light's personlity was that of a villain, a crazy one but still a bad guy. Yes he HAD good intentions, but those can pave the road to hell and, well when you end up killing tons of people and try to say what you did was right, then that's just insane. He was never a good guy in my view, just someone given too much power who ended up thinking he was God.
stop associating Light with killing PEOPLE and start associating him with the murder of CRIMINALS, because that was his intention. and he went mad with power like anyone who had that much power. he was never killing for pleasure. he was trying to make the world a safer place. in his crazy way. he went fucking nuts but he never lost sight of "a crime free world" as his ultimate goal.

what would a villain do if he could kill anyone with no consequences? he wouldn't kill other criminals in hopes of ridding the world of crime for good, he'd kill people he didn't like. maybe kill other criminals that were cutting in on his action. but he'd act selfishly. light may have wanted to be god but if you're saying "end crime" is a selfish goal, you're crazy.
Look, I count Light as a bad guy because, not matter how you put it, he was becoming a tyrant. Yes, killing the bad guys is all well and good but he was still killing people, some of which didn't deserve to die. He killed anyone who got in his way, which is something a villain does and he was WRONG do do so.