Vin Diesel Pay Cut Could Kick-Start R-Rated Riddick Sequel

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
pitch black is sure a great movie and among my favorite movies. part 2 is alright to watch. its a movie you can switch off too but sure not as great as pitch black. i never saw the anime but i still want too, i guess ebay has to give it to me :p
butcher bay is a damn good game. love it. the second game is crap.
i am wondering how part 3 will be. not much hope but i wait and see what will come out of it.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Yeah, I loved Pitch Black, its one of my all time favorites, but Chronicles was a perfectly decent (if average) movie as well, saved by the fact that its ideas and universe were sufficiently interesting for me to overlook the hackneyed plot. I know its popular in the media to constantly put down Chronicles, but really, that movie was still better than all of the Star Wars Prequels put together (and better than RotJ too, imo!) Crossing my fingers that universe and Riddick himself get revisited...

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Chronicles was a fine movie exept the action sucked BAD. Fucking strobe light fighting.

Quick cuts of a knife/an arm/guy screaming/riddick blank faced/repeat. Strung together do not an action scene make. It the kind of micheal bay bs where you don't know whats going on but ITS SO CRAZY OMG. Really disappointing and I wish more people agreed cause that crap has to go. You don't need matrix length kung fu fights but come on, hire a damn choreographer.

GRRRR. In Chrocincles the battle on the prison planet outside is supposed to be against tthe odds epic fight and its 50 close shots of people firing guns screaming and knife flashes. Fucking crap.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
This my friends and fellow cohorts, is why the science fiction and fantasy communities never get anything good movie wise. I'd consider this a major step down from intelligent works of sci-fi such as Blade Runner, The Star Wars (original franchise), or otherwise. What an imbecile of a man. Nothing this has ever done can be classified as intelligent, entertaining, or otherwise.

However, it is nice to see some people from the upper echelons of society play D and D. Great guy, just a horrible actor.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
I'd like to see another Chronicles of Riddick picking up where the 3rd movie left off (yes, I'm counting Dark Fury). I really liked the character and the universe.

Mauricio Guerra

Jul 11, 2010
Reluctant to take the role of Riddick. Hmm...how quickly things change huh Vincent.
Wasn't he the one championing the idea of a Riddick universe? As I recall, at one point Vin Diesel was all-in with any and all Riddick projects, so far as to actually invest some of his money in the developing process. The man was trying to make a franchise out of an anti-hero role in a cult- scifi movie.

Anyways, as much as I like the mythology of the series, I do regret the way Chronicles was handled. It came off feeling like a pg-13 Conan in space. There was no real tension in knowing that the protagonist is the fulfillment of a prophesy about a warrior-king. The movie basically ended by Conan, er, Riddick sitting on the throne of the Necromongers.

I would like to see another movie, and find it refreshing to see asshat actors willing to work for scale just to see a project through. Honestly, if Vin had not gotten in bed with Disney, maybe he would still be a hot commodity and could greenlight projects through just by association.

As for the plot of the film, that synopsis is rather lame and weak, sounds like a rehash of the previous movie and other scifi/cinema tropes. I for one don't want to see the last Furyan return to planet Krypton, er, Vegeta, er, I mean Furya. I loved Escape from Butcher Bay, but doubt many would want to see a "prequel", despite it being the source of Riddick's eyeshine ability. Didn't finish Athena so I can't speak for its plot.
I think if they're going to stick to the Pitch Black formula, they need to have it set in a confined space and not some grand scale set, where he goes from planet to planet. Also, Riddick works best when he has others to play off of and can show his animalistic/killer characteristics...so giving him a cast for more than him to either kill or save in predictable situations would be a plus.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Arsen said:
This my friends and fellow cohorts, is why the science fiction and fantasy communities never get anything good movie wise. I'd consider this a major step down from intelligent works of sci-fi such as Blade Runner, The Star Wars (original franchise), or otherwise. What an imbecile of a man. Nothing this has ever done can be classified as intelligent, entertaining, or otherwise.

However, it is nice to see some people from the upper echelons of society play D and D. Great guy, just a horrible actor.
Interesting arguement, can you really blame the actor that falls into the typecaste trap though? The ripped guy who got a break playing a quiet gruff badass antihero, doesnt get calls to audition for the Kings speech, if you know what I mean.

Thats not to say he didnt sell his soul for some quick cash doing "the babysitter" or whatever that (i assume was) abomination was called.

Look at Dwayne "Not da Rock" Johnson. He tried to branch out and fell into a bunch of kiddi crap...sometimes its better to stick to your typecaste.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hey, I'm game. We've got to keep our openly-D&D-playing action stars in the spotlight, right?

Chronicles wasn't completely awful, but it wasn't as interesting as the ensemble of Pitch Black. I think there was also an effect that fans of George Lucas' earlier work might recognize- that sometimes it's better when someone is forced to stretch the possibilities of a limited budget rather than have their imaginations allowed to wallow in excess.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The original kicked so much ass, I really hope that the R rating is not removed. I want something gory, scary and exciting.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
To me, the way to may the universe interesting again is to make Riddick's role ambiuous again. In Pitch Black you aren't quite sure if he's the villain on an ally. In Chronicles you have the immediate impression that he's the protagonist and it makes the character much less interesting. Also, less stupid fantasy bullshit (like in Chronicles), more low-tech, rusty spacecraft.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I enjoy the Riddick character and the two movies(and the little anime thing they did), but the unrated extended versions of Pitch Black and Chronicles are far far better than their theatrical counterparts. I highly recommend finding the extended versions over the theatrical cuts. They give more insight into the character and the world and help tie things together better.
While I might want to wait til the unrated extended cut is released on DVD, I'd still probably see a new Riddick movie in theaters.

now I want to watch the movies again

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
hope they do make this, and i would be happier if it was closer to chronicles then pitchblack, i preferred chronicles alot more

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Riddick is the only thing he has done that has staying power. Are we going to be taking about Fast Five 10 years later? Not likely, and probably not even one year later. And I can't even remember anything else he has been in.

So I hope he does take the pay cut, and we get an R-rated Riddick, which hopefully isn't just Riddick with a lot of cussing. Anyway, I think might work for him in the long run.

Toraylin2

May 6, 2011
Finally, another Riddick Movie. The second one wasnt that bad, just a little too loose around the edges. Butcher bay was awesome and so was the cartoon movie thing they made. Personally im totally in for whatever they make, aslong as it isnt Fast and furious 3-5 bad : )

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
What's the problem working for scale as long as you make the deal where you get some of the back-end. Then you get to share in the profits of your good work right? I think more actors should be doing this rather than get something big up front and then phoning it in as they have not that much of an incentive for the movie doing well, apart from the effects on the future role chances.

He's making enough from the Fast Furious franchise, right? How about putting some of the frat boy cinema goer money into something good....

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I enjoyed Pitch Black quite a lot because I wasn't expecting much, and I thought Chronicles of Riddick was some great space opera-style adventure. I would hope a third movie would focus more on Riddick, I think that much seems to be a common wish.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Pitch Black was awesome. More Riddick's great! Though It may be cool to see him do a prison break, à la Escape from Butcher Bay. But then again I'm afraid people might thing it's a crummy game adaptation and not like it or something like that.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I thought they already had several riddick overdafts in binders that vin slept with or something. i mean aty one point he was 1000% behind the whole riddick thing talked about multiple movies anime etc etc. Even talked about or actually did sink some his own funds into the project.

Vin seems like a cool cat tho he is a gamer and a scifi fantasy geek, if you know zip about it just by looks you would never guess that in a million years. Sure wish he would find something good he can latch onto and get into the character i mean he has done some good moves if only a brief appearance in saving private ryan and etc but he was good in it. The guy can act just seems he perfers not to sometimes.

the whole riddick univers is a fairly interesting one, there should be plenty there for smart deep scifi and not 2nd class action movie stuff, i mean chronicles isnt horrible if i just feel like vegging it is a decent movie to just watch, but it was nothing great in the action, scifi or fantasy areas it just was ok.

I wonder why the need to make it R, is irt ti make it adult to make it deeper and more complex or just to make it R to some T&A and some bllod and gore into it for the hell of it. I hope it is smart and compex, if t&A and blood and guts fits in that framework then fine, but just do not go R to titify teens. My biggest concern. ANd if it was pg-13 or something he could work for a full paycheck? why is that? the studios tinkering?

there isnt enough smart adult scifi period, district 9 was the last movie i can recall that was smart adult and amazing. moon probably be up there. but there iare t on of adtutls that would go see a high profile smart scifi film if it were made, riddick already has a good sized built in fan base, i do not think R would hurt a new movie in the lest as long as the movie was in fact GOOD.