Violent Videogames are Awesome

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
tzimize said:
I get so depressed when I read articles like this.

The logic and argumentation is so flawless, and so simple. I just fail to understand why other people cannot grasp these facts. Why are there so many god damn idiots on this planet? :|

I think it's more that they don't want to acknowledge the facts. They've already got this scaremonger train rolling, and they're going to crash and burn if they stop now. Not to mention they probably just don't want to even consider, much less acknowledge, that they're wrong

More than anything, though, it's probably money. As another poster said, sensationalism sells.

Great article, Shamus. Keep up the good work.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
You Can said:
Your fifth point really reminds me of what Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller says: Don't call it violence, there is no violence in video games there is the artistic representation of violence.

That, to me, is the point that none of these pundits seems to realize, when I shoot someone in Far Cry 3 NO ONE GETS HURT!
About that, while it is a good argument against games turning people into mass murderers, the opposition could still say that the shock value of actual violence still won't stop someone from committing their first act of violence, since they haven't seen actual violence yet. In a sense, the argument could be turned around to say that because video games don't accurately represent real violence, they could make it look appealing and cause a series of one-time murders.

At least that argument helps to distance us from the mass murderers that started this debate.

In the end, I think the real question is whether or not the culture of violence that exists in all media is to blame. If all media were about love and puppies kisses and hugs, would that make our society less violent? Hurry! Someone start researching!

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I thought hip-hop caused gun violence. I can't keep up they keep changing their minds!

CountryMike

Jul 26, 2008
PunkRex said:
I gambled in Pokemon when I was 10
I drank alcohol in Mass Effect when I was 18
I took drugs in Fallout 3 when I was 19

I do none of these in real life, yet I have no problem with those who do (well, maybe alcohol). The idea that fiction and real life interlink in such a way is interesting but goes far beyond 'he shot that zombie, he's a killer I tells ya!'

Scaremongering. Scaremongering never changes.
You should, those things are fun. Live a little

Dec 15, 2009
sageoftruth said:
About that, while it is a good argument against games turning people into mass murderers, the opposition could still say that the shock value of actual violence still won't stop someone from committing their first act of violence, since they haven't seen actual violence yet. In a sense, the argument could be turned around to say that because video games don't accurately represent real violence, they could make it look appealing and cause a series of one-time murders.

At least that argument helps to distance us from the mass murderers that started this debate.

In the end, I think the real question is whether or not the culture of violence that exists in all media is to blame. If all media were about love and puppies kisses and hugs, would that make our society less violent? Hurry! Someone start researching!
The counter to that is that violence is down. This is, so far, the least violent time in human history. If the artistic representation of violence made people more violent than we would live in a vast quagmire of blood and death when you add up all of the "violent" media that we have access to, from Beowulf to whatever the most recent shooter is.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
CountryMike said:
PunkRex said:
I gambled in Pokemon when I was 10
I drank alcohol in Mass Effect when I was 18
I took drugs in Fallout 3 when I was 19

I do none of these in real life, yet I have no problem with those who do (well, maybe alcohol). The idea that fiction and real life interlink in such a way is interesting but goes far beyond 'he shot that zombie, he's a killer I tells ya!'

Scaremongering. Scaremongering never changes.
You should, those things are fun. Live a little
But bro, life is my drug... that and unhealthy amounts of suger.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Reyold said:
tzimize said:
I get so depressed when I read articles like this.

The logic and argumentation is so flawless, and so simple. I just fail to understand why other people cannot grasp these facts. Why are there so many god damn idiots on this planet? :|

I think it's more that they don't want to acknowledge the facts. They've already got this scaremonger train rolling, and they're going to crash and burn if they stop now. Not to mention they probably just don't want to even consider, much less acknowledge, that they're wrong

More than anything, though, it's probably money. As another poster said, sensationalism sells.

Great article, Shamus. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, but it wouldn't sell if people didn't buy it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Fantastic piece, I've written a lot of similar stuff across different posts loads of times and it's nice to be able to just link to this artile which says most of what I have to say on the matter instead of writing a long ass post every time.

Good job :)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
So true.
I personally still have to find game more fun than Postal2
Man, my favorite killing way is peeing on the person until he/she starts to puke
While the person pukes I grab the fuel can and spill gasoline all over that person
Then I light it up >:D
I can do this in real life, you know
I have penis, urine, gasoline can and matches
But I don't do this in real life
I will never do this in real life
And never did
Not because I'm afraid or that I don't have people that I hate
But because I'm not insane person (or at least not THAT insane)

But when it comes to insane people they will find "inspiration" to commit horrible in ANYTHING
Usually it is some sort of media (or religion)
But saying that a person started mass onslaught because of a book, music or movie is so last century
Saying that religion made person to commit horrible act of violence often is even treated as "hate speech"

But games?
Games are easy target.
Games are rarely defended.
They are often graphically violent.
Majority of adults and seniors have never played any game.
It is D&D BS all over again, just with games as a main target now.

Vale

May 1, 2013
Well, that's just, like, common sense, man.

For a cover, it ain't so bad.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
You Can said:
sageoftruth said:

The counter to that is that violence is down. This is, so far, the least violent time in human history. If the artistic representation of violence made people more violent than we would live in a vast quagmire of blood and death when you add up all of the "violent" media that we have access to, from Beowulf to whatever the most recent shooter is.
True. The problem is that people never seem to accept statistics these days, and I can't blame them. I've seen so many clashing statistics that I don't know what to believe anymore. Still, it's a good point that violence does seem to be going down rather than up. Now I just need a way to get my co-workers to believe it. Maybe I'll just run it by them and see how they respond. I'll let you guys know if my boss has a handy counter-attack.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DragonStorm247 said:
Braedan said:
DragonStorm247 said:
I would add a sixth point:

Violent games are not actually about violence. Nobody loads up a game saying "Yeah! I'm ready to shoot/decapitate/murder someone!" because that's not the experience its meant to deliver. They're more about problem solving, overcoming challenges, etc. Anyone who asks "Why would anyone want to play a game where you do these horrible things?" is asking the wrong question.
Incorrect. I many times feel that I want to shoot things. Pretend shoot things, but shoot things none the less. Maybe you don't, but I sure do, and almost everyone I've talked to (that plays games) gives the impression of enjoying seeing things explode into bits because they pulled the trigger.
You misunderstand. I do not deny that virtual violence and the direct input/effect of trigger to exploding heads is enjoyable and satisfying. But it's not the fundamental core of the game. In an FPS it's mostly about the skill and tactics involved. If you designed a game otherwise, with it only involving the feature you just described (ie just press button to make things die), it would objectively be a terrible game.

Violence can be an important or prominent feature, but on its own it's not what makes the game fun.
That's the name of the game here, FUN. Violence (as presented in video games) should only be seen as one means to an end out of several, not the end itself. I just read Yahtzee's latest Extra Punctuation and there's some overlap with this article, and some differences.

captcha: whet your appetite
... For DESTRUCTION! Sorry, my parents are Guns 'n' Roses fans.

sidd4friends

Jun 29, 2013
An interesting read on the topic: http://thevideogame2013.blogspot.in/2013/08/add-spice-of-fun-to-your-games.html

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
My interpretation on the drop in violent crime in the USA: consider what demographic is most likely to commit violent crime.

Give this a quick glance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

Then consider the dates involved.