Visual Novels with LEGIT interesting/make me to care Protagonist

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Maximum Bert said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ok I was merely mentioning it is a bit silly to base your entire opinions on a type of digital entertainment (not calling them games because I feel VN are closer to books than games) off the back of what you have been exposed to especially if it is extremely limited. They are essentially stories so if you find stories in general uninteresting then I would get why you would find VNs boring but that is a very strange dislike.

You said
Canadamus Prime said:
*snip*Also I find VN boring.
The way you wrote that is a bit strange if you meant you found this VN boring reffering to Katawa shoujo the one you were previously talking about thats fine but if you meant you find VNs boring that is what I find a bit strange and seems to stem more from a decision based on lack of data rather than a realisation.

Not that it matters much as I have mentioned earlier I do not read many VNs and while most of the ones I have read I have enjoyed there was one that I did not and so stopped reading.
Well it's not as though I don't get invested in the story and the characters, but I get frustrated in how little involvement I have in what's going on. So maybe "boring" was the wrong choice of words. Which is funny because I have played VN where choices did come up much more often than in Katawa Shoujo which made that one that much more frustrating to deal with. I guess you could say that Katawa Shoujo turned me off VN.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
I get frustrated in how little involvement I have in what's going on. So maybe "boring" was the wrong choice of words. Which is funny because I have played VN where choices did come up much more often than in Katawa Shoujo which made that one that much more frustrating to deal with. I guess you could say that Katawa Shoujo turned me off VN.
I mean, Katawa Shoujo isn't really representative of most vns (at least the ones I've played) cause its really REALLY short and doesn't have a whole lot of choices in that time

Fate/Stay Night (in the same amount of time as the entirety of Katawa Shoujo) has many more choices and during that time endeared me more to the characters than Katawa Shoujo did (which I understand is entirely subjective)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Death Carr said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I get frustrated in how little involvement I have in what's going on. So maybe "boring" was the wrong choice of words. Which is funny because I have played VN where choices did come up much more often than in Katawa Shoujo which made that one that much more frustrating to deal with. I guess you could say that Katawa Shoujo turned me off VN.
I mean, Katawa Shoujo isn't really representative of most vns (at least the ones I've played) cause its really REALLY short and doesn't have a whole lot of choices in that time

Fate/Stay Night (in the same amount of time as the entirety of Katawa Shoujo) has many more choices and during that time endeared me more to the characters than Katawa Shoujo did (which I understand is entirely subjective)
I realize that, however I just can't bring myself to play another one. Although looking at the charts there the difference is staggering.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Tsukihime's Shiki Tohno is pretty good. He suffers from amnesia, which is always a bit of a chore, but I like how you learn more about him for every route. He's got a good amount of depth, and he matters as a character to the others. He's not just some random personalityless dude's viewpoint. He's not as out there as Okabe though.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Which is funny because I have played VN where choices did come up much more often than in Katawa Shoujo which made that one that much more frustrating to deal with. I guess you could say that Katawa Shoujo turned me off VN.
And this is why I never suggest Katawa Shoujo as a starter VN, for the reasons that have been stated by other users. I usually suggest Fate/Stay Night to newcomers.
F/SN is:
-Long Enough to judge your patience (40-50 hours)
-complicated enough (as you can see in the chart) to give some challenge
-Has a variety of Sex scenes to judge your acceptance level to 18+ materials for future suggestions
-Has enough action to keep you on your seat.

At least in F/SN's chart case, it's pretty straightforward, choose the wrong option and you're dead. Compare that to Yu-No, which the game forces you to get certain items in one route, to progress in another, while that item won't have any use in the former route.

Also obligatory guide to choosing what VN to play (Katawa Shoujo is dropped completely from the list, it was a starter VN back in the 2012 version lol)

On Topic, I'm still saying that Rance is the most LEGIT Protagonist.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Kaimax said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Which is funny because I have played VN where choices did come up much more often than in Katawa Shoujo which made that one that much more frustrating to deal with. I guess you could say that Katawa Shoujo turned me off VN.
And this is why I never suggest Katawa Shoujo as a starter VN, for the reasons that have been stated by other users. I usually suggest Fate/Stay Night to newcomers.
F/SN is:
-Long Enough to judge your patience (40-50 hours)
-complicated enough (as you can see in the chart) to give some challenge
-Has a variety of Sex scenes to judge your acceptance level to 18+ materials for future suggestions
-Has enough action to keep you on your seat.

At least in F/SN's chart case, it's pretty straightforward, choose the wrong option and you're dead. Compare that to Yu-No, which the game forces you to get certain items in one route, to progress in another, while that item won't have any use in the former route.

Also obligatory guide to choosing what VN to play (Katawa Shoujo is dropped completely from the list, it was a starter VN back in the 2012 version lol)

On Topic, I'm still saying that Rance is the most LEGIT Protagonist.
F/SN has sex in it? I would never have figured that.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
Yep, though luckily not a whole lot (two scenes in the first route, one in the second, four in the third...all of them hours apart). I don't think they're that bad, but there's enough of a combination of shaky writing and shaky translation to make them a good tolerance test for sex scenes in relatively serious works (i.e. anything more highbrow than Do You Like Horny Bunnies?).

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
NeutralDrow said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Yep, though luckily not a whole lot (two scenes in the first route, one in the second, four in the third...all of them hours apart). I don't think they're that bad, but there's enough of a combination of shaky writing and shaky translation to make them a good tolerance test for sex scenes in relatively serious works (i.e. anything more highbrow than Do You Like Horny Bunnies?).
On topic, but what about Tsukihime? is Shiki not interesting enough to qualify for this thread?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
NeutralDrow said:
Canadamus Prime said:
On topic, but what about Tsukihime? is Shiki not interesting enough to qualify for this thread?
Not sure. I liked him for the most part, and later works expand and explain parts of his character. But setting aside Nanaya and his budding tsundere nature towards Arcueid, he's still pretty mellow in his first appearance...that might actually be enough, though.

Besides, I love Tsukihime (which my avatar might have given away; Kagetsu Tohya was such a blast to play), but for some reason I have the worst luck recommending it to people. Of everyone I've directly[footnote]No idea how many I convinced via my <url=http://web.archive.org/web/20150701165854/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.128851-TYPE-MOON-reviews-Tsukihime>first, extremely-rough, review.[/footnote] convinced to play it, I think one person got through the whole game. Everyone else got bored or frustrated, or was driven off by the background art. It's made me kind of paranoid about doing so.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Tsukihime and all those type moon stuff is too dense to play off of a minor thing such as someone else telling you to do so. You need a lot of self-generated motivation to dive into those things.

I come from the fighting game side of things so I have known melty blood for over a decade now but I had no interest in the series at all but a year ago I got into fate due to Saber being a guest char in a game I got (nitro+ blasterz) so I figured I might as well check out Tsukihime too since the worlds are somewhat connected.

Point being, without that kind of drive and motivation, people will lose interest way before the story gets good.

Now, on the matter of Shiki being a good main char or not, he's a little bland early on and I only really liked him in one or two paths. He was more of a vessel through which the heroines shine, and good at that, but not that great otherwise.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Dreiko said:
Tsukihime and all those type moon stuff is too dense to play off of a minor thing such as someone else telling you to do so. You need a lot of self-generated motivation to dive into those things.

I come from the fighting game side of things so I have known melty blood for over a decade now but I had no interest in the series at all but a year ago I got into fate due to Saber being a guest char in a game I got (nitro+ blasterz) so I figured I might as well check out Tsukihime too since the worlds are somewhat connected.

Point being, without that kind of drive and motivation, people will lose interest way before the story gets good.

Now, on the matter of Shiki being a good main char or not, he's a little bland early on and I only really liked him in one or two paths. He was more of a vessel through which the heroines shine, and good at that, but not that great otherwise.
Speaking of fighters, isn't Sion from Melty Blood also in Under Night In Birth?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Dreiko said:

Speaking of fighters, isn't Sion from Melty Blood also in Under Night In Birth?
Yeah, the two games are made by the same company.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
That makes a lot of sense. No wonder I've had much more success with shorter games like Yume Miru Kusuri...

Dreiko said:
Heh. I was the same, actually, for both Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night. I was lucky enough to be in Japan around the first release of Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (then checked Wikipedia and started wondering what this whole "visual novel" thing was), and then again years later when Fate/Unlimited Codes first came out in arcades. If I ever get around to reading Umineko, it will be exactly the same, since I played Ougon Musou Kyoku first.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Well I liked takeru from muv luv alternative. Regular guy having to learn to be a soldier and experiencing trauma first hand.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Dreiko said:

Yes, this is one of the reasons why I only played one route: I lost interest very early...
I know the other routes get even more interesting, but I will wait for the remake in the future.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
SweetShark said:
Dreiko said:

Yes, this is one of the reasons why I only played one route: I lost interest very early...
I know the other routes get even more interesting, but I will wait for the remake in the future.
Not happening, tsukihime came out in like, early 2000s. Akiha route was the best so go for that, if you don't like that, oh well XD.

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
I would say Night in the Woods, great characters and dialog. Mae, Gregg, Angus, Bea, and a host of other characters got so much personality. Also mini games you can play. Give it a shot!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Zef Otter said:
I would say Night in the Woods, great characters and dialog. Mae, Gregg, Angus, Bea, and a host of other characters got so much personality. Also mini games you can play. Give it a shot!
Uhh, that's not a Visual novel though, it's just a traditional side scrolling adventure game.

Visual novels needs to have an ADV or NLV type of story presentation to be called a VN. In short, the majority of story is told with huge amount of text in text boxes.

SpaceDoctor

Mar 23, 2017
Dreiko said:
Fruit of Grisaia prolly has the best protag in any VN, everyone in that game is a mystery but the protagonist is arguably the biggest one. Can't spoil too much, the story is initially a joke slice of life school situation that turns into a spy and special forces drama half way through.

Be ready for some dark shit, also I'd recommend you get it from Denpasoft.com as opposed to Steam cause they censored it.
I worked as a QA freelancer for Sekai Project on Labyrinth of Grisaia back in 2016, it was one of my favorite projects from the start. It's really easy to care about the characters, plus the chemistry between the cast keeps the story moving. Some VNs struggle with that, and it can really kill the story when you just want to skip through a character's scene. Never felt that way with Grisaia.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
SpaceDoctor said:
Dreiko said:
Fruit of Grisaia prolly has the best protag in any VN, everyone in that game is a mystery but the protagonist is arguably the biggest one. Can't spoil too much, the story is initially a joke slice of life school situation that turns into a spy and special forces drama half way through.

Be ready for some dark shit, also I'd recommend you get it from Denpasoft.com as opposed to Steam cause they censored it.
I worked as a QA freelancer for Sekai Project on Labyrinth of Grisaia back in 2016, it was one of my favorite projects from the start. It's really easy to care about the characters, plus the chemistry between the cast keeps the story moving. Some VNs struggle with that, and it can really kill the story when you just want to skip through a character's scene. Never felt that way with Grisaia.
Ohh, nice. I still need to play that one. I know it's at least in part a prequel story and having the Master finally show up is more than exciting. And yeah, the entire cast is very unique and interesting. I heard some criticize it being short but I guess it just means that it's so good you want more. Hopefully they get the third game brought over too.