Volcanoes Seem To Be Slowing Global Warming

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Volcanoes Seem To Be Slowing Global Warming

Those volcanic eruptions that seem so scary and apocalyptic might have actually slowed the global warming rate by up to 50 percent.

Climate change, global warming, whatever you want to call it, it's the kind of thing that's concerned a great many scientists in recent years. But over the past decade, researchers noticed something odd about it: Even as the pollutants in the atmosphere continued to rise, the warming seemed to be slowing down. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136303-Cause-of-Global-Warmings-Pause-Since-1998-Revealed>There are a variety of possibilities for why this is, but a recent study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has put forward a new theory: Volcanoes could be cutting the rate of global warming in half.

Even though we think of volcanoes as centers of hot firey magma, they also belch out insane amounts of ash and smoke. Instead of making global warming worse however, it could have mitigated the increase of greenhouse gases by reflecting sunlight back into space that would otherwise heat the planet, similar to nuclear winter theories. Balloon, laser radar, and ground-based measurements were used over the course of the study, which concluded that volcanic eruptions are responsible for significant cooling effects since the year 2000.

Now that's not to say the climate change issue is solved - the surface temperature is still rising after all - but if true, it would slow the rate enough to partially explain the pause we've experienced. If anything, it's a temporary fix that lets us catch our breath before finding a more lasting solution.

And no, a more lasting solution cannot involve triggering supervolcanoes. (Please, for the love of God, do not fix global warming by triggering a supervolcano.)

Source: <a href=http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014GL061541/abstract;jsessionid=D60E91A8E377BD060B78DA2F04F1604A.f02t01>Geophysical Research Letters, via <a href=http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/are-volcanic-eruptions-slowing-global-warming-150112.htm>Discovery News

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fanghawk said:
And no, a more lasting solution cannot involve triggering supervolcanoes. (Please, for the love of God, do not fix global warming by triggering a supervolcano.)
Yeah, because we'll get more of John Cusack, running away from lava. DON'T DO IT!

OT: Well, it happens, but not according to schedule. We need some clean-up 'round these parts. I'm doing my part. How about you?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Not surprising. The volcanic ash that's released from a strato volcanic eruption tends to cool the atmosphere. If I recall Mount Pinatubo's plinian eruption in 1991 caused the entire planet to cool down nearly a whole degree. God have mercy though if the Yellowstone supervolcano were to erupt. That'd destroy a good chunk of the United States given the intense pressure that's building up.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Also, they have the power to ground all air traffic over an entire continent. Estimates say the Icelandic eruptions in 2010 prevented the emission of 3 million tonnes of CO2. That's also got to help.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Alexander Kirby said:
Also, they have the power to ground all air traffic over an entire continent. Estimates say the Icelandic eruptions in 2010 prevented the emission of 3 million tonnes of CO2. That's also got to help.
Yep, that's got to cut the annual emissions by at least 0.00001%, maybe.

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
Oh, sure. Nature spits all this smoke, ash, and gasses into the atmosphere and it cools the planet off. We do it, and it makes it hotter.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Great so it's eitehr more fiery ashes (if we had more volcanoes to counteract Global Warming) or too much water/ cold (in the UK) if Global Warming continues.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Jadak said:
Alexander Kirby said:
Yep, that's got to cut the annual emissions by at least 0.00001%, maybe.
so basically we need a volcano on the coast of China to make a sizable dent. According to some maps I just googled they're off the coast so I wonder what it would take to trigger them.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
I've always wondered why people worry about global warming, what at any given time, human race can play its trap card and invoke nuclear winter.

Its not like there is some kind of global nuke shortage o_O

What? Im just saying that there ARE options.....

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Interesting. Just goes to show it's not as cut and dry as a lot of people think it is.

ONE SUPERVOLCANO TO RULE THEM ALL!!!!!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
neonit said:
I've always wondered why people worry about global warming, what at any given time, human race can play its trap card and invoke nuclear winter.

Its not like there is some kind of global nuke shortage o_O

What? Im just saying that there ARE options.....
Unfortunately, nuclear winter was, IIRC, highly exagerated. Though, humans should be able to kick up lots of dust without nuclear devices if they set their mind to it.

IIRC, volcanoes can also have the opposite effect, they can throw out lots of darkly coloured dust which reflects less sunlight, or at least compared to certain areas it lands on, such as ones covered in snow.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
And then the dust settles and you're left with more greenhouse gasses. And I don't just mean pansy CO2, but real trouble makers like sulfides and NOx's.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Oh. You mean I should dig up that nuke I planted underneath Yellowstone Park, rather than pressing this detonator here? Ohhh...

OT: Cool. This actually puts some weight behind the idea of pumping reflective particles into the atmosphere to cool the planet down. Of course, the downside to that plan is that you're pumping something into the atmosphere to deal with something else that you're pumping into the atmosphere. To take the Volcanic Ash example, it might be nice and cool the planet down, but it does all sorts of nasty stuff too...

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
'Global Warming.' Ugh.

Anyway, yeah volcanoes affect climate on a global scale. We've known this for a while. The year without a summer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer] is a good example of the impact volcanic eruptions can have.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
But triggering a super volcano would be a perfect solution! Not only would you get the massive dust clouds reflecting a lot of light from reaching the surface, wiping huge swaths of the population out would make sure emissions after the dust has settled would be a lot lower! And hell, given how good we are at forgetting important things [http://www.cracked.com/article_18533_the-6-most-important-things-humanity-just-plain-forgot.html], society may take decades to recover, curbing emissions even more!

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Lagslayer said:
Oh, sure. Nature spits all this smoke, ash, and gasses into the atmosphere and it cools the planet off. We do it, and it makes it hotter.
Why don't you read into the science behind it?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Now if we could get US Congress to stop telling the scientific community that their full of shit...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I don't know why this is some form of surprise. Increased Volcanic activity caused one of the Ice Ages. (I forget which)