Volition Dev Vs. Pre-Owned Games

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Volition Dev Vs. Pre-Owned Games

Volition design director Jameson Durall reckons the idea of next-generation consoles banning pre-owned games is "fantastic."

Durall entered the used-game debate-turned-melee with both fists swinging. He seems particularly enthusiastic about the rumours surrounding the successor to the Xbox 360 and its supposed "anti-used game" technology. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115490-Rumor-Next-Xbox-Will-Feature-Blu-ray-Anti-Used-Games-System]

"There's another big rumor about the next Xbox console that could really start to shake things up...it won't play used games at all!" he wrote in a piece called 'I Feel Used' [http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/02/i-feel-used/ ]. "Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first...they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them."

Durall describes current programs designed to mitigate used-game sales, such as project ten dollar and the online pass system, as "just a band-aid on a large wound," before going on to describe his hypothetical, all-new-games utopia in exacting detail.

" The system is already there for Microsoft, all they'd have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account," he writes. "Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly. Ideally it would tie a full version to the console it is registered on so family members can play even if the main account isn't signed in, but this is exactly how their model works now anyway."

Durall admits that such a system would have its faults. Game rental companies, for example, would be rendered moot, but that could be solved by Microsoft implementing its own rental service. Gamers who want to lend games to their friends could conceivably be accommodated by a system similar to Amazon's book lending policy, which transfers the license for a set period of time. These are just minor details, however, Durall maintains that the industry needs to act quickly because dire things are afoot.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart," he continues. "People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing. Maybe something as simple as educating them could help solve the problem..."

Source: #AltDevBlogADay [http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/02/i-feel-used/]

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
At the end of the day, do we really need to say anything about this?

Volition, we like you. Millions of people have played your games. You've already shipped 3.8 million copies of Saints 3, well past your initial goal of 3 mil by March. Used game sales aren't going to put you in debt anytime soon.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Jameson Durall says things
...YOU MONSTER

Well, that's just my opinion. I'm sure that all of the Escapist will rise up against me to support Durall and his hatred of used games. :p

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
"even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first..."

Understatement of the article right here.

Sony would run crazy with this over Microsoft if this were true. I call a lot of bullshit on this whole rumor just because of how bad the backlash would be. I'm all for cracking down on the pirate sites but just stick with the online pass/project 10$ stuff when it comes to the used games market guys.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF this was done, I wouldn't buy that console.
IF all current game consoles had anti-used game software, I would sit out that generation and hope the next one corrected said mistake.

Not EVERY game is worth 60USD, SEE:
# Red Faction: Armageddon (2011)
# Saints Row (2006)
# The Punisher (2005)
# Red Faction II (2002)
# Summoner 2 (2002)
# Red Faction (2001)
# Summoner (2000

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Right...... volition i may love your early work but this sounds pretty awful to me. The companies that get my full price money are the ones that have made great games I love in the past. Quite frankly a lot of games aren't worth 60$ to me and by the time they are available for something I might pay then tend to only be found used.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Tell you what, Jameson, the instant a AAA title gets released in Australia with a RRP of "only $60", come talk to me.

Until that day, stop talking shit.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Also:
What happens if/when your console breaks?
What process will there be to move 'your' games to the new system?

DRM is DRM and DRM is BAD!
Stupid people like Durall who support DRM make me buy used games.

That's right.
As of this moment I will NOT buy another game new, by Volition.
I've been doing the same thing with Ubisoft for YEARS.

If they want to treat me like a criminal, I'd rather my money goes to some random idiot on ebay(for example) or GameStop.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Game rental companies, for example, would be rendered moot, but that could be solved by Microsoft implementing its own rental service.
Ugghhhhh *shudder*

Having experienced the level of thought they put into their gaming related services with Games For Windows Live after some overly hasty PC game purchases, I can honestly say I wouldnt under any circumstances trust a single cent of my money to a MS implemented rental service.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who would tell any console or console generation that attempted to restrict my ability to play games based on whether I bought them new to, very politely, "Eat shit and die."

The industry's current model is failing because, like the movie and music industry, it has failed to adapt.

They're so caught up in trying to force people who NEVER were going to buy their game new to do so, that they don't even grasp the level of resentment and animosity they're growing amongst loyal customers. It's the same problem with piracy - they're getting out-performed by the used market.

Why? Because they refuse to believe their games are worth ANYTHING less than the price they released at.

It's a shame, because I would gladly buy some games new. Some games are WORTH running out and buying day one. But I'm not going to be forced into making purchases I don't want. Especially not when the Industry is trying it's damnedest to sucker people into buying the game before they've even seen a review or heard a critic talk about it.

This isn't good business. It's bad for studios and consumers alike... only the studios all seem to be too stupid to realize they're shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of talk.

But it IS good for the prospects of a new entrant into the console arena... and studios who reject this ass-backwards philosophy. They stand to gain substantial popularity.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Oh hey consumers... SHUT-UP... buy this new thing.

Oh and microsoft *wink wink* monopolize the game rental service. Huh *nudge* huh! *nudge*

Hey, I got a better idea for a console.

Listen here:

Me: Consumers will be the console and set it up in their homes.
Board: Yea, yea, sounds good.
Me: Then when the consumers turn it on it *BAM* it demands a credit card to be put into in on start-up
Board: Uh-huh, i like credit cards. What else though.
Me: Will after a consumer has played a game for 30 minutes it will deduct 25 cents as a usage charge. We split the profits 80-20 with the developer (getting the 20) and rake in mega bucks. We only need to sell one game really. Endless profit potential.
Board: Get this man an island immediately, and booze.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
That idea might just be the single most retarded thing I have heard as far as DRM goes, it's just stupid I mean if you think about it, it will make collecting rare games ludicrously hard, I mean all people will do with rare games is buy them until they are out of stock and then proceed to sell them for 200$ on e-bay, I sure hope nobody is stupid enough to use this DRM.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I recently went to the trouble to repurchase several N64 titles to do some retro gaming. Guess how many of those were purchased new? If they do this, I will avoid that system in favor of their competitors.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Look, if I can only use a physical copy on only one game console for the rest of that disc's life, I'm only buying that game digital and even then only when it hits absurdly low Steam sale territory. I'm a collector and this kind of nonsense kills my incentive to collect. Also, if it's only the Xbox's successor that'll do this crap, guess which company I'm not buying a next-gen console from?

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Oh look. Another whiney **** wanting to fuck over the consumer and put a happy face on it. Pity we can't throw him out a plane into a zombie filled city to fight a zombie Burt Reynolds.
I say this again. IF the 360 were fucking stupid enough to do this then that would be it for the 360. You could measure its sales in 6 figures. If it hit 1 million consoles sold I would be surprised.

So let this dude run his mouth. He will come crawling back with another Saints Row game (since thats the only thing of worth they do) to the PS4 or PC hoping we all forget his stupidity.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I'm sorry, my money was pre-owned. You can't have it.

Seems like I have to put Volition on my no buy list now.

You sent us Saints Row 3, a game that feels empty (And now loaded with DLC). Red Faction Armageddon ... Need I say more?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Consider my middle finger pointed in your general direction, Volition. You wanna see the gaming industry collapse? Implement your idiotic ideas, I guarantee the whole thing will come down like a sand castle under a fat guy's ass.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Are they antagonizing us on purpose? Seriously it's like they say these things intentionally. If they really want to end this problem with used video games. Well for starters it will never end so stop it. Second make you're games cheaper. I can go into a store and impulse buy any game at around 20 bucks without thinking twice. With 60 dollars I gotta walk away. Look at my budget. research the game. See a couple reviews. And then after all that I gotta decide is it still worth 60 bucks? Most of the time it isn't. Plenty of nice games are worth 30, 40, sometimes 50 American dollars. But not the full price of 60. And then there's still DLC to buy.

I'm always going to side with my wallet volition. Developers die everyday but my wallet stays strong.