Volition Dev Vs. Pre-Owned Games

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of this bullcrap.
Buying used is not bad. End of discussion.

It didn't hurt devs in the past, its not hurting them now.
It's just another tactic being pushed by greedy publishers and developers who want more money that they somehow think they are entitled to. Your already witholding content from us with pre-order dlc, day one dlc, subcriptions, online passes and you somehow think your entitled to more money?

Stop with these scaremonger tactics, its just another enemy you have created in order to avoid adapting to the market and get more money than you deserve. Its what the movie and music industry did in the past and it failed then.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
FelixG said:
Tanis said:
Also:
What happens if/when your console breaks?
What process will there be to move 'your' games to the new system?

DRM is DRM and DRM is BAD!
Stupid people like Durall who support DRM make me buy used games.

That's right.
As of this moment I will NOT buy another game new, by Volition.
I've been doing the same thing with Ubisoft for YEARS.

If they want to treat me like a criminal, I'd rather my money goes to some random idiot on ebay(for example) or GameStop.
"I dont like you so I am going to give gamestop all of my money by buying your game used for 5 dollars less! I am still going to play your game, but I am making sure you dont get any money for it and someone else does!"

And people wonder why developers think used gamers are as bad or worse than pirates...
Any developer that thinks this is a complete idiot.
Buying used doesn't even necessarily mean buying from Gamestop, it could be from cheaper alternatives or just borrowing a game from a friend to try it out.

If you stop people from having used copies you destroy the ability of both potential customers who will buy other games or sequels you make in the future and consumer goodwill. Is that worth it for short term profits?

At_The_Gates

Feb 7, 2012
The really astonishing thing about this is the used game market boosts sales of new games. What do these people think gamers spend the money on when they sell a game? Do they really think everyone who would buy their game at $20 if deprived of that option would pay $60?

Yes AAA titles are starting to have budgets on par with blockbuster movie release, but those cost around $10-20 at a theater and about $20 on dvd. The cost in both industries is nearly all upfront production and advertizement with the cost of manufacturing the medium that winds up in consumers hands probably well bellow a dollar. I guess the folks running game companies today with their fancy business degrees have never herd of a price curve.

Just for a moment imagine its early December your money is tight and a AAA title is just out with a shiny price sticker reading $20 or even $30. Yep assuming you had any interest in the game or likely even its genre you would buy it. Yes they would have to sell more copies to make the same profit but I would bet it would sell the extra copies and then some.

Sometimes I get a very strong impression the only way to land one of the really high paying jobs involves severe neurological damage.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Yeah, I don't want to transfer a license to my friend just so they can play a game they want to try out to see if they like it. I just wanna let them fucking borrow it for a bit.

In my opinion, this guy is an utter dipshit.

And yeah, the phasing out of used games totally wouldn't up the price of new games. Like we need a fucking price hike in Australia.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Another day, another asshole with shitty ideas we can scoff at and yet another company I feel proud of not ever buyed a single game from.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
FelixG said:
AsurasFinest said:
Any developer that thinks this is a complete idiot.
Buying used doesn't even necessarily mean buying from Gamestop, it could be from cheaper alternatives or just borrowing a game from a friend to try it out.

If you stop people from having used copies you destroy the ability of both potential customers who will buy other games or sequels you make in the future and consumer goodwill. Is that worth it for short term profits?
To them I am sure borrowing is just as had as piracy, after all, one person payed for their game and two (or more) people are now enjoying it.

And the same arguments are used for piracy, a pirates is as likely to buy a sequel in the future as a used game buyer is. If you say "They is just as likely to steal it!" Well then the used game person is just as likely to buy the next game used as well.

And why should they care about a used game buyers good will? They don't support the company so in the companies eyes why should they support the used gamer? Especially when there is a sentiment (in the person I quoted above) who would rather see someone who had nothing to do with the game get payed instead of the people who actually made the game?
Then they are wrong. Piracy involves noone paying for the product at all, they never see the money.
Used games sales are the result of someone buying their product and reselling it. They've seen the money and the spots just been filled in by another person. They've got the money for that copy, there is no issue, except for them being greedy and wanting more.

Of course they should bloody care, what they do effects both new buyers and used game buyers. I bought Resistance 3 just the other day new and had to spent 30 minutes jumping through hoops just to install the game because of crap like online passes. It inconveniences me as a user and makes me wonder why I bothered to buy it in the first place if they do that kind of crap.

Besides all that, the model doesn't work like that. Gamestop and the like pay them for supplying the stock for their game. They already got the money and if that title fails its not them who suffers the loss, its the retailer who does. The money doesn't even go to the devs, it goes to the bloody publishers who don't do anything significant with game content and if they do, its usually ruining it.

Used games sales are here to stay and if you support them with this nonsense, your only encouraging them to further abuse you and everyone else as a consumer

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
You're all missing the point. As much as developers want to keep all those preciousss $$$$, I think the real thing they want is for their crap games to go irretrievably out of print, so they can quickly bury their stinkers.

But seriously, if I'm not paying $60 for you game now, what makes you think I'm going to pay $60 for it after I can no longer buy it used?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Jesus...I like Volition and all but I didn't know they could be such cunts.

Granted I shouldn't judge all of them based on the one persons view but still...fuck you Jameson Durall. Fuck you hard.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Piracy =/= about who pays or who doesn't. Piracy can also involve money payments, but none go to the original creator.
Your seriously going to say piracy and buying used games are the same. That's what your seriously going to do?
I do not even know where to begin on how wrong you are. If people actually think this, you and they deserve all the crap corporations currently and are going to dump on you.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So I am usually one to support companies that do measures to get some value back for used sales or companies that give us a reason to buy new. This is not a reason I want to buy new. This is a reason I want to avoid the console at all cost. If the next PlayStation doesn't come with this kind of system and the Nextbox does then I will get a PlayStation even though I don't really like Sony. Project 10 dollars, online passes day 1 DLC, exclusive offers to pre-orders, I support that to the fullest as long as it means those who buy used can obtain that content somehow.

My suggestion to combat used sales which would be better than this bullshit would be to have some extra content for free for those who buy new and make that content inaccessible for the first month for anyone who didn't buy new. It's still an assholish move, but when they prevent me from playing my games on my friend's console I would rather have that. I haven't bought any used games except for the past generation (because they're impossible to find) and I oppose this. Volition you used to be cool, but now you have let us down.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
unacomn said:
Say, Volition man, you know what else hurts game sales and developers? Red Faction Armageddon. Remember? It?s that stinkfest you suckered me into buying because Guerrilla was awesome.
If you?re saying I can?t sell it, to get at least part of my money back, I?m going to come to your house and hit you over the head with the game disk, until I feel that the 60$ dollar entertainment value is satisfied.

Sincerely,

A sucker
Fuck that. Burn his house down, with lemons.

Okay, now as for the article... Bye Volition. Saints Row 3 lost just enough appeal for me to question even the possibility of anything else you make. Right now I've got my eye on ONE game in 2012, and I'm probably not going to buy it at full price. I have patience to wait for Mass Effect 3. Nothing else in 2012 is catching my eye so far. No new game systems, no new games(aside from the last one I buy from EA), no new movies. No new TV shows. No new music.

If it weren't for the political circus, 2012 would be a terrible year.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
Money, money, money... If this happens, it'll be like the gaming industry taking a dive head-first into the 1930s if video games are simply going to STAY $60.00 forever and no matter how shitty the game is.

Seriously. I wonder how many developers actually think like rational people. I'll have the NOPE dinner with a tall glass of Fuck You.