VP Joe Biden Claims "No Restriction" Against Taxing Violent Games

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Since there's no direct quote, he's denying it, and it wouldn't go anyway, I'm guessing somebody heard wrong and posted it somewhere. Plenty of politicians are dumb enough to speak out in this manner, so if one of them is supposedly heard to say similar, then denies it, it's probably him stamping out a confusing message.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Schadrach said:
VMK said:
Meanwhile, in New Orleans another shooting happened. Three guys gunned Mother day parade participants...With real world guns... that shoot real world bullets... at real world people.

Americans, question: what percentage of American citizens are against gun restriction? I just want to understand whether your politicians are idiots (or pretending to be ones), or they just don't want to lose votes?
The reason why serious gun control is unconstitutional is literally right next to the reason why a "violent media tax" is unconstitutional.
Yeah, yeah, second ammendment... Written during muskets era... I bet Washington & Co knew that in the future we'll have firearms that can literally slaughter about 50 people in about 15 seconds.

Anyhow, about percentages... Any info?

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
StewShearer said:
During a meeting with faith-based leaders discussing gun control, the subject of videogames came up. One of the people attending, Franklin Graham of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, put forward the idea that the government should consider special taxes for media companies that produce violent content and videogames.
Given the caliber of the people in that meeting I'm just surprised they didn't ask him to tax masturbation.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
StewShearer said:
The latest offender would seem to be Vice President Joe Biden. During a meeting with faith-based leaders discussing gun control, the subject of videogames came up. One of the people attending, Franklin Graham of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, put forward the idea that the government should consider special taxes for media companies that produce violent content and videogames.
I've got an idea: let's start taxing churches

They've certainly got a much longer & more lucrative history of real-world violence. Seems to me that the Grahams ought to be the ones' ponying up

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
VMK said:
While I'm here, I may as well point out that even though gatling guns were still a ways off, he had to guess that weapons of war wouldd continue to grow in power, having already lived in a world with cannons and knowing that people who didn't die immediately might be consigned to death in a medical tent or to infection if they avoid the thing. There is no way that he could not have known that the gun would only get worse.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
FalloutJack said:
VMK said:
While I'm here, I may as well point out that even though gatling guns were still a ways off, he had to guess that weapons of war wouldd continue to grow in power, having already lived in a world with cannons and knowing that people who didn't die immediately might be consigned to death in a medical tent or to infection if they avoid the thing. There is no way that he could not have known that the gun would only get worse.
So... Was it intentional or unintetional imperfection of the most important legal act in USA?

Jokes aside, how many people are against possible future gun control policy in USA? I just want to understand this little thing I wrote about previously.

Johnson McGee said:
Given the caliber of the people in that meeting I'm just surprised they didn't ask him to tax masturbation.
Nah, that is their only fun, aside from the one they are having with children. Wait, those are catholics... What are Evangilists' little sins?

*Obligatory "jokingly" post scriptum*

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
VMK said:
Meanwhile, in New Orleans another shooting happened. Three guys gunned Mother day parade participants...With real world guns... that shoot real world bullets... at real world people.

Americans, question: what percentage of American citizens are against gun restriction? I just want to understand whether your politicians are idiots (or pretending to be ones), or they just don't want to lose votes?
VMK, the gun control split is about 50/50, thus why it's such a big issue and will never be resolved. If it favored one or the other legislation would have been passed. The recent filibuster on the gun control amendment was an example of politicians pretending to care to save public face, but they and their constituents never actually thought it was needed and had to back out at the last minute to avoid losing the next election.

Similar situation with you first statement. Even people that know that guns do in fact hurt, injure, and kill will feign ignorance and point to games is because even addressing the fact that guns are inherently dangerous means a cut to their profits.

And since The Great Gatsby just came out, I'll leave you off with the author's revelation of the true unbridled American Dream: Being rich at all costs, where the ends always justify the means. Welcome to 'merica.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Even though it's not Joe "Tells handicapped people to stand up" Biden being talked about mostly, I do believe this video pretty much sums up what's going on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txINV-l0qlI

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
bfgmetalhead said:
I love being an Englishman at times, one reason is that we don't have to deal with this. Non-religious government ftw.
Well, on issue like this, ie free speech, I'd rather be in the US actually. Politicians can pass all the dumb laws they want regarding Free Speech, but they'll just get overturned by the Supreme Court. Great Britain has those really awful defamation laws that makes it really easy for journalists to be harrassed for reporting negative information.

Your sane gun laws have probably avoided the kind of high profile violence that could lead to taxes, bans, and age restrictions on violent video games. But, if enough British politicians really pushed for something like that and passed it, I don't think it would be overturned by a court, right? I've definitely read about some MPs who are very unhappy about video games. Other countries like Australia and Germany have all kinds of weird restrictions. Actually, doesn't Britain still have a "classification" system that ends up banning certain movies and games?

I am really interested in a response to this. I didn't spend an hour researching this stuff before hand. I know I've been surprised by the lack of some aspects of free speech in some European countries before.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm not sure he realizes that movies, tv shows and music and images all do the same fucking thing...

Or he really believes everyone is this stupid...

Joe here's what this sounds like to everyone else. "Hey look I found something I can generate blame for something that gets fear mongers jimmies all rustled and can extract free money from if they keep hammering it home enough!"

Not exactly subtle.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Taxing a video game for its violent content is a violation of the First Amendment right the Supreme Court levied against it.

By taxing it for its content, you are actively saying "We want to punish people for this speech." People standing for developers for creating it and consumers for consuming it.

Its a slippery slope - I mean, whats next? Tax books that deal with violence? Movies?

Here's an idea Biden - instead of taxing video games, tax guns and bullet sales. That way, you aren't taxing a group of people for something that has scientifically been proven isn't true (the Supreme Court has my back on this one too with their decision in 2011), but you are actively discouraging the use of items that ACTUALLY take 11,000 lives per year in this country (if were lucky, its usually higher [does not count suicides]).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Joe Biden. This is the guy who takes over if something happens to Obama. This guy. And people, you voted for him if you voted Obama. Pray nothing happens to Obama.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
VMK said:
So... Was it intentional or unintetional imperfection of the most important legal act in USA?

Jokes aside, how many people are against possible future gun control policy in USA? I just want to understand this little thing I wrote about previously.
I tend to believe that gun laws are the way they are because it was not merely the United States army at the time that fought off Great Britain, but any old shmoe with a gun. The idea was that "Okay, in the event of an invasion, citizens have the legal right to take arms against those who would do harm to them" because of an uncertain future. Since then, and definitely before, this sort of privelege has been abused. What follows is, of course, the law then determining the appropriate use of guns and laying down heavily on misuse, and so on. The thing is...we already had guns. They happened and they weren't going to un-happen. You have two choices, then. You either integrate them into society and try to work with them or you alienate them from society and leaven those without wanting in a time of need. It's a sad case of have and have-not.

Really, gun control is a slippery devil to mess with, but I think if you try to control them in a manner the people won't agree with, you'll have alot of gun-toting folks out there to deal with, exactly what any invader would have to handle. Would you inflict that on our own authorities? Those boys have enough on their plate. In my opinion, criminals without guns over the years would start to get cleverer, more capable in a fight because maybe they have no gun, or that they DO when other people don't. Law-abiding citizens are law-abiding citizens, but some people laugh in your face and then shoot. Truthfully, though, if we started getting clever people who are better at being shitty people, we'dd have more problems than idiots with guns. We'd have professionals. I once heard about a man who held up a gas station with a hunk of wood! Which one - the robber or the gas attendant - is dumber, I don't know, but a gun controlled world might have that stick-user pulling out something smarter.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
bfgmetalhead said:
I love being an Englishman at times, one reason is that we don't have to deal with this. Non-religious government ftw.
What about the Church of England? The Archbishop of Canterbury is selected by the government.

Even though religion gets intermixed with our politics in the U.S., we still have no official religion, and few can agree on a single faith. Christianity in our country is extremely heterogeneous, and there's no one faith that even comes close to a majority.

More importantly, the First Amendment explicitly prohibits any government interference with the practice of religion:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
Compare this with the less absolute wording of the ECHR, which is binding in the UK:

The freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law...
So even though we may have more faith-based proposals in the U.S., they usually get struck down by the court system.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Desert Punk said:
amaranth_dru said:
Joe Biden. This is the guy who takes over if something happens to Obama. This guy. And people, you voted for him if you voted Obama. Pray nothing happens to Obama.
Or pray if someone takes a shot they get em both :p

Would be far more productive!
For me to feel safe about the country's succession you'd have to go pretty far down the line... I don't want to even contemplate that right now.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011

There are no words in my vocabulary that can convey the level of hatred I have for the current American government system. Everything has to be politicized and foster dissent. I'd at least hope they'd keep their grubby legislative hands firmly in reality, but I knew that would be too much to ask for. Wonder if it's too late to give enlightened despotism a shot...

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Leximodicon said:
Oh America, when will you stop being the xenophobic laughing stock of the civilized world?
I fought for this country and buried several good friends for this country. So I think I can safely say from personal experience working with our government....

Never...

American politicians can serve till they are dead of old age [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd](not the president though)..... How many 90+ year olds do you know that can understand ANYTHING happening today? Not just repeat what they hear on the TV?