VVVVVV Celebrates Steam Release with Huge Price Cut

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
VVVVVV Celebrates Steam Release with Huge Price Cut

A super fun indie platformer is now available on Steam for just $5.

When in January 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/events/ids2010/7084-Indie-Developer-Showcase-Day-Two-VVVVVV], it was a good deal for $15. Now the retro platformer is an absolute steal as Cavanagh has lowered its price to $5 to celebrate it becoming available on Steam.

And it's not just a sale, VVVVVV is permanently available for $5 whether you buy it from the off Steam [http://thelettervsixtim.es/]. The ease of buying through Steam made it an easy purchase for me personally, plus you save 10 percent if you buy before September 14. That's only $0.50, but every penny counts nowadays.

Playing the full version, I died well over four hundred times in about an hour-and-a-half, but that's totally okay. The game throws so much variety and challenge at you even though it basically revolves around one simple mechanic of changing your personal gravity from up to down over and over. To collect all of the game's hidden trinkets, you'll definitely sweat as you navigate through spikes, bounce off of small platforms, and avoid strange enemies.

VVVVVV is a great example of one videogame concept explored to perfection. It can get really hard at times, but save points might only be a second or two apart, so death is just another chance to try again. Along with the awesome music and cute little story, I can't imagine not at least trying the free demo to see if your $5 is worth parting with for this gem.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
looks like bland game maybe for the oldys out there that want to relive there old days

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I bought it roughly 5 minutes before this post showed up on Twitter.

No-brainer.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I played the demo and it was sometimes challenging but rewarding. If I don't get it now, I'll probably get it sometime in the future.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
It's a fun game, definitely worth the asking price. I bought it for full price and I enjoyed it a lot. If you enjoyed IWTBTG in any way then try this out.

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
I had already... "obtained" an internet-only copy of the full game, but I'm totes buying the desktop version now that it's cheaper. Hell, I woulda bought it fo def if it was 10, but this is even better!

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
ionveau said:
looks like bland game maybe for the oldys out there that want to relive there old days
Try playing it. The retro aesthetic is completely distinct from its gameplay; it doesn't need flashy, pretty graphics to make it awesome. I'm a post-16-bit gamer; I was raised on the PlayStation more than any other console. It's good, trust me.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
beat it so many times. During the tower level the music turns extremely awesome and it goes up and the colors are changing GOD ITS AWESOME. I also have the soundtrack. Chiptunes ftw.
/end

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Liquidcathedral said:
no wonder its reduced to 5$, it looks like it should be at that price. 15$? srsly? thats more than an actual game thats 4 years old.
*copies, pastes*

Try playing it. The retro aesthetic is completely distinct from its gameplay; it doesn't need flashy, pretty graphics to make it awesome. I'm a post-16-bit gamer; I was raised on the PlayStation more than any other console. It's good, trust me.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
SomebodyNowhere said:
I played the demo and it was sometimes challenging but rewarding. If I don't get it now, I'll probably get it sometime in the future.
well the game play is smooth and fast so ya the game is OK but i wouldn't buy it for 5$

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Worth the money. It's a great platformer, a huge challenge, and has one of the most evil puzzles in the game. Good music, and every death just makes you want to try harder.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
Oh man, I am so excited for this! For just $5 and I'll be able to show so many people how great it is on my computer.

And it's on MAC too! PERFECT!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Right now it's even more on sale... sale-er? I dunno. But anyway, it's another 50 cents off, now pricing at $4.50. In case parting with that fiver was just above your threshold but getting change back would seal the deal.

EDIT: Gonna learn me to read one of these days; Tom's post mentioned the 50-cent-off sale. Heh. There's also a demo if you're indecisive; I gave it a shot, and the game just really isn't for me, but you never know until you try.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
This game is definitely worth every penny. For real fun, try to get each of the 20 trinkets. There is one in particular i remember where you basically need to reverse gravity, fly up through 4 rooms while avoiding spikes, then reverse gravity again and go down those 4 rooms, all without a checkpoint. Just to torture you even more, the room names tease you as yo go along. This game is truly one of the best hard puzzle platformers I have played.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I just tried the demo, but you know what? I was having decent fun until this fucking part.

I must have tried 100 times and still couldn't get it. I just gave up out of frustration.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Shame this game is about the length and quality of you're standard flash game.

That and it's not really all the great.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Emphraim said:
There is one in particular i remember where you basically need to reverse gravity, fly up through 4 rooms while avoiding spikes, then reverse gravity again and go down those 4 rooms, all without a checkpoint.
Yeah, that was an awesome one. I had to do it twice... forgot to quicksave the first time :( But after doing it dozens and dozens of times it only took another 10 tries the second go around.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
ionveau said:
SomebodyNowhere said:
well the game play is smooth and fast so ya the game is OK but i wouldn't buy it for 5$
I suspect that with it being on Steam it'll likely pop up in one of their incredible sales. Maybe during their Holiday sales they'll have an indie day and it'll be an even better deal.