Jun 12, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:
aei_haruko said:
chadachada123 said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it. This is a thread for those situations. What is something people say is extremely offensive and you just don't get why? I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?

So, what don't you get? Feel free to help clarify it for your fellow man too, but let's try to keep it civil, mkay?

TL;DR: Screw you, I just watched Big Picture :)

EDIT: Thanks to the folks who replied to this post. I guess what I really don't get is why it's offensive to say someone has a choice in the matter rather than saying they're a slave to genetics/upbringing/whatever. Using the 'choice' argument as an excuse for persecution is disgusting, but it's also bullshit. At the same time, I think it's fair to say there are certain people who just like being gay better than being straight, so I think we can all agree that everyone should just mind their own damn business.
I quote:
Hey, so'd ya go to the anime convention?
her:Nah, i went to church... a MORMAN church
say wat now/?why?
her:What.
What's wrong with Mormans? B[
oh nothing, I just didnt think you were morman ( had no clue what religeon you were quite frankly)

her:I'm Christian Born Baptist and Protestant
i figured
Her:But y'know
cool cool.
her:I like keeping an open mind,and going to adverse churches
I was born catholic, and I'm atheist.
her: and your closed-minded response is prompting me to leave.Good day..
Now what I dont get is what the hell happened here, did i say something offensive?
For having an open mind, she sure seems incredibly closed-minded.

No, nothing you said was offensive, but many people in the US have this idea that to suggest that a person can be both trustworthy and also secular is some sort of great mockery.

I just lucked out in being raised in a very secular part of the US. Even the most extreme Christians here, the fundamentalist creationists that think that, well, you know, are nowhere near as nutty as the AVERAGE Arkansian or Georgian.
Definatly, I even apologized the next day ( shes from alabama too, huh, weird coincidence XD)
so i said:
"I was just curious, I didnt mean anything negative by it. I was honestly curioushow was my response closed minded? I just asked a question, and i didnt make an insult or anything. I apologise if i offended you, but I honestly have no clue as to what I did."
I didnt get a respnse, so I typed:
"hello?I didnt mean anything mean, honestly, i have no idea what i even did, but for whatever I did i apologize."
so she says
"You can't apolagise without reason.It's empty, if you do so.Adieu.."
seriously, WTF
the worst part is that I used to be a pretty devout christian too, and yes, sometimes i will make a faith joke, but it'll all be in good fun most of the time ( no I never said anything to her about it) and then BOOM, it gets shoved inm my face " you're going to hell" or " worship and praise God"
like seriously, for people who claim to " love till it hurts" they sure seems kind've hypocritical
If I can just jump in here, it sounds to me like this girl is just a ***** and she'd probably be a ***** whether she went to church or not. She's a classic example of someone who doesn't recognize the difference between the church and God either way. I was born and raised Baptist in a missionary family, but I make Baptist/church/clergy jokes all the time. If someone can't joke around about their faith, or at least handle an innocent remark about it, then I think they really don't have any faith to speak of and shouldn't be bothered with at all. Also, there's nothing wrong with visiting other churches, but I can tell you that most of the clergy/church people I know don't even consider Mormons a Christian denomination. To put it lightly, their theology is just way off base from Biblical teaching.
actually before it she was fine, shes a dc fangirl, and it was fun talking about " nuh uh, poisin ivy beats catwoman" and stuff. I didnt understand it. Also, some other guy who is normally a wonderful guy sent me this hate list about how I was arrogant and how he hated me ( Okay, sometimes I brag, but heck, we all do) and it was mostly prompted over this gay marriage debate ( hes a huge catholic) seriously, it seems to me that people in general are acting lame, but it seems ( to me and my own experiances, i realize this isnt all christians, the very fact that I have to write this part speaks to how badly people tke what I say nowadays) that people who are christian act even more anal to me... yeesh

Well I don't mean to presume, and I certainly don't know you so I can't make a judgement call, but in my experience when I have difficulty with a certain people group more often than not it's because of something I'm doing to them. If you're having that much trouble with Christians, I'd take a closer look at how I interact with them on a daily basis. People usually have a reason (even if it is a stupid one) for acting the way they do towards another.
well, thats a good idea, i'll give it a try, but I dont usually go around saying " god sucks" or ' I hate God"
thatd be lame, people usually give me shit for being an atheist for what appears to be no reason sometimes XP

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Volf99 said:
I have never seen ones sexuality as a result of genetics. In order to find someone/thing attractive you must first decide it is. You find someone your attracted to, do you not decide "Hey, I like this person"? I see it much like how one can tell themselves they are warm in the cold and feel warmth. Its a mind game, not genetics. There is no "realization" that one is gay or straight, its a decision. And some of it is based off of past experiences; I'm sure you've heard of or seen scenarios where one person of one gender was a total ass to the other of the opposite gender in a mutual relationship, and after the relationship was broken, the abused one decides that someone of the same gender would treat them better. That is not decided by genetics. It was decided by the mistreatment by an asshat.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
w1ndscar said:
Volf99 said:
I have never seen ones sexuality as a result of genetics. In order to find someone/thing attractive you must first decide it is. You find someone your attracted to, do you not decide "Hey, I like this person"? I see it much like how one can tell themselves they are warm in the cold and feel warmth. Its a mind game, not genetics. There is no "realization" that one is gay or straight, its a decision. And some of it is based off of past experiences; I'm sure you've heard of or seen scenarios where one person of one gender was a total ass to the other of the opposite gender in a mutual relationship, and after the relationship was broken, the abused one decides that someone of the same gender would treat them better. That is not decided by genetics. It was decided by the mistreatment by an asshat.
I think genetics play a part because I subscribe to the idea that people are born gay, and its not a choice. That said (typed), I think that genetics plays a part, granted it hasn't been proven yet, I personally beileve it plays a part.

Here is an article that touches on the debate over the issue:
http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/news/20050128/is-there-gay-gene

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Volf99 said:
I do see your point, but I just find it hard to believe; if one is forced by their genes as to what turns them on, or attracts them, then the same could be said about the person they fall in love, but that is something decided, not born into. In order for one to feel affection for another they have to decide to have those feelings, and in the general case, those feelings are what ignites the desire to date someone. I believe that given the right circumstances a gay man could decide to fall in love with a woman, if they would just allow it, and vice versa with a straight person. But that's just my personal opinion.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
w1ndscar said:
Volf99 said:
I do see your point, but I just find it hard to believe; if one is forced by their genes as to what turns them on, or attracts them, then the same could be said about the person they fall in love, but that is something decided, not born into. In order for one to feel affection for another they have to decide to have those feelings, and in the general case, those feelings are what ignites the desire to date someone. I believe that given the right circumstances a gay man could decide to fall in love with a woman, if they would just allow it, and vice versa with a straight person. But that's just my personal opinion.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to think that its a choice or its just chance that they are gay. I would kindly disagree. However I think we're getting into the debate of nature vs nurture so lets just agree to disagree. :)

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Volf99 said:
Likewise good sir, it was fun chatting with someone who doesn't resort to insults to get their point across. [Before this post, we had the same amount of posts roflmao.]