"Wait, how is that offensive?!"

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Some_weirdGuy said:
Volf99 said:
And again you label me as homophobic. Stop dodging the question and tell me how my choice in words equates to me having a fear of homosexuals. I have clearly stated that homosexuals are regular people, not someone to fear/hate. Yet you continue to tell me that I'm afraid of them. Please tell me where my fear is coming from, because I wasn't aware of the "fact" that I fear/hate homosexuals. Also, why do you continue to call me a troll? Are you really that convinced that I can't being expressing my true opinion?
Perhaps you should learn the meaning of homophobia instead of spewing 'but i'm not scared of homosexuals' over and over?
Literally the first result in google:

Homophobia is a term used to refer to a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay and in some cases bisexual, transgender people and behavior, although these are usually covered under other terms such as biphobia and transphobia. Definitions refer to irrational fear, with the implication of antipathy, contempt, prejudice, and aversion. The term "homophobia" is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination and violence on the basis of a perceived homosexual or in some cases any non-heterosexual orientation. In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."
Associate homosexuality as a bad thing, you're displaying homophobia. Pretty simple.
Then I would be a homophobic person, except I don't fear/hate/wish death upon homosexual people. I have never said that something I don't like is homosexual. I have said "that's gay". However I am using the word gay in the slang form. The slang for the word Gay can refer to not liking something OR homosexuality. However, by the words very definition, gay =/= homosexuality.
In fact, the word's first three definitions in the merriam-webster dictionary refer to it as a emotional state. Here is the link:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it. This is a thread for those situations. What is something people say is extremely offensive and you just don't get why? I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?

So, what don't you get? Feel free to help clarify it for your fellow man too, but let's try to keep it civil, mkay?

TL;DR: Screw you, I just watched Big Picture :)

EDIT: Thanks to the folks who replied to this post. I guess what I really don't get is why it's offensive to say someone has a choice in the matter rather than saying they're a slave to genetics/upbringing/whatever. Using the 'choice' argument as an excuse for persecution is disgusting, but it's also bullshit. At the same time, I think it's fair to say there are certain people who just like being gay better than being straight, so I think we can all agree that everyone should just mind their own damn business.
I quote:
Hey, so'd ya go to the anime convention?
her:Nah, i went to church... a MORMAN church
say wat now/?why?
her:What.
What's wrong with Mormans? B[
oh nothing, I just didnt think you were morman ( had no clue what religeon you were quite frankly)

her:I'm Christian Born Baptist and Protestant
i figured
Her:But y'know
cool cool.
her:I like keeping an open mind,and going to adverse churches
I was born catholic, and I'm atheist.
her: and your closed-minded response is prompting me to leave.Good day..
Now what I dont get is what the hell happened here, did i say something offensive?
For having an open mind, she sure seems incredibly closed-minded.

No, nothing you said was offensive, but many people in the US have this idea that to suggest that a person can be both trustworthy and also secular is some sort of great mockery.

I just lucked out in being raised in a very secular part of the US. Even the most extreme Christians here, the fundamentalist creationists that think that, well, you know, are nowhere near as nutty as the AVERAGE Arkansian or Georgian.

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
Just noticed a little argument that's been going on here and thought i would throw something out there. Saying something like "that's gay" to mean bad did originally come from people who are homophobic and I'm betting a lot of people are offended by it. it's not that hard to say "that suck's" or "that's bad" but for a lot of people it is just a bit of a habit they got into, But that doesn't change the fact that LGBT people have every right to be offended. just how i feel though.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
chowderface said:
I don't quite follow "monkey=black person". Like, I get that it's a slur, I accept that it's a slur, I just don't get why monkey in particular.
Funnily enough, since religion is being brought up in a few posts, that's partially related to why blacks are slurred as being "apes."

The old idea, when evolution was being analyzed by the community, was that black people were a sub-species of human that was clearly inferior and far more closely-related to chimpanzees and non-ape primates than other "species" of humanity. They thought that white people were the pinnacle of human evolution that should clearly be the leaders of the free world.

Then it became a sort of grab by those opposed to evolutionary theory, trying to claim that evolution is inherently racist, or that evolution must have some sort of "ladder"-like basis as opposed to a tree-like one, disregarding the fact that most anthropological scientists today don't even consider "race" to be a valid scientific concept. Some creationists even try to point out that since Darwin thought that blacks were an inferior sub-species, that all of evolutionary theory is in question. This of course ignores that Einstein, Newton, absolute every scientists and great thinker in existence that has revolutionized our thinking has always had some major area that needed further refinement over the coming century(ies), and also that racist thinking of the time was merely par for the course.

But now I'm rambling.

Some might also say that black people have larger noses (on average), if you'd like to just go with that.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Gorobrin said:
Just noticed a little argument that's been going on here and thought i would throw something out there. Saying something like "that's gay" to mean bad did originally come from people who are homophobic and I'm betting a lot of people are offended by it. it's not that hard to say "that suck's" or "that's bad" but for a lot of people it is just a bit of a habit they got into, But that doesn't change the fact that LGBT people have every right to be offended. just how i feel though.
The phrase "that's a gyp" is incredibly common, and I imagine that you yourself say it, despite it being quite derogatory towards the Romani people known as gypsies. At the very least, its use came into common usage the same way as saying "that's gay," but after a long period became so filtered that its original meaning is completely separate from the demographic it referred to.

So, yes, originally the derogatory "that's gay" was used as anti-gay rhetoric, just like "that's a gyp" was used to equate gypsies with untrustworthy business practices. However, complaining about its new incredibly common usage is only going to cause more problems. It makes you seem like you're claiming to own a word, not understanding that language evolves incredibly quickly.

Hell, look at the word fag. From a bundle of sticks to an old person (referring to an old person that was a burden on everyone else) to an old woman...that it can be used to refer to gays now is just coincidence, or at least not the fault of the vast majority of people that use the word.

Regarding the "right" to be offended, I would say that everyone has a right to be offended about anything, but being offended by something doesn't inherently make that something incorrect. Especially since 99% of the time, the phrase "that's gay" has nothing to do with homosexuality, perhaps it's time to just let that word go and not make it mean something that it really doesn't? (Alternately, what's wrong with sharing meanings?)

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Gorobrin said:
I agree with what your saying. For me it's a habit without ant subtle motive.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Palademon said:
I dared to say that me hitting people depends on how I feel, not their gender...
I'll go with this.

A girl in my class yesterday was hit in the face by a guy (outside of the classroom) and all the guys (except me) jumped up ready to bash him. Once the teacher calmed everyone down and asked what happened, well, I'll lay it out:

Girl: He was perving on me, so I hit him and then he hit me back (apparently saying "you look nice"[footnote]Gathered from witnesses.[/footnote] is perving).
Guys: That's it, let's bash him. Insert more macho bullshit here.
*Witnesses called in, evidence gathered, etc.
Guys: Macho raging, let's bash...
Me: I don't see a problem. She hit him for no reason other than a comment taken negatively.
Guy: So, you think she deserved it?
Me: Well, she did start it, he acted in defence. If she was a guy you'd not care or if he was a girl you'd all gather to watch.
Guy: So, you think it's fine for a guy to hit a girl.
Me: Yes. If in defence. Actually, no. I think it's Ok for a person to hit another person in defence.

Guess who's public enemy number one. Why don't they get it?

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
chadachada123 said:
Gorobrin said:
The phrase "that's a gyp" is incredibly common, and I imagine that you yourself say it, despite it being quite derogatory towards the Romani people known as gypsies. At the very least, its use came into common usage the same way as saying "that's gay," but after a long period became so filtered that its original meaning is completely separate from the demographic it referred to.

So, yes, originally the derogatory "that's gay" was used as anti-gay rhetoric, just like "that's a gyp" was used to equate gypsies with untrustworthy business practices. However, complaining about its new incredibly common usage is only going to cause more problems. It makes you seem like you're claiming to own a word, not understanding that language evolves incredibly quickly.

Hell, look at the word fag. From a bundle of sticks to an old person (referring to an old person that was a burden on everyone else) to an old woman...that it can be used to refer to gays now is just coincidence, or at least not the fault of the vast majority of people that use the word.

Regarding the "right" to be offended, I would say that everyone has a right to be offended about anything, but being offended by something doesn't inherently make that something incorrect. Especially since 99% of the time, the phrase "that's gay" has nothing to do with homosexuality, perhaps it's time to just let that word go and not make it mean something that it really doesn't? (Alternately, what's wrong with sharing meanings?)
Well sense gypsy was a stereotyped as a profession of Romanians (Assuming my research was right) I think "that's a gyp" and "that's gay" aren't really comparable. but yet again, that's just how I feel.

Edit: it seems i made a mistake. the term gypsie comes from the misconception that Romanians were Egyptians. Now i feel foolish

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
TacticalAssassin1 said:
zehydra said:
"There are certain things that are just flat out rude"

Are you suggesting that something can be objectively rude?
Everything is objectively rude.
...what? how can anything have an objective quality which pertains only to a person's emotional perception?

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
zehydra said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
zehydra said:
"There are certain things that are just flat out rude"

Are you suggesting that something can be objectively rude?
Everything is objectively rude.
...what? how can anything have an objective quality which pertains only to a person's emotional perception?
*brain fart*

Meant subjectively.
I shall go back to draining my brain with exam study.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Volf99 said:
Gorobrin said:
I agree with what your saying. For me it's a habit without ant subtle motive.
habits like that are gay!

---
:p

As for a serious repose:
Volf99 said:
Then I would be a homophobic person, except I don't fear/hate/wish death upon homosexual people.]I have never said that something I don't like is homosexual. I have said "that's gay". However I am using the word gay in the slang form. The slang for the word Gay can refer to not liking something OR homosexuality. However, by the words very definition, gay =/= homosexuality.
By its very definition(something you're so adamant in pointing out) it also doesn't carry any negative connotations, quite the opposite in fact.

You're being pretty hypocritical, accepting its slang usage as 'bad' but denying its more wide spread slang meaning of 'homosexual'.

Especially so since its slang usage as a derogatory/negative term comes from it being slang for homosexual in the first place and the homophobic view of homosexuality being bad.

Just give it up dude XD, using gay in place of bad/shit/stupid/whatever means you're either an idiot(cause 'happy' doesn't make any sense in that context what so ever), or a homophobe (cause you're implying homosexuality is synonymous with those negative things, something which is pretty obviously offensive).

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I hate when people get pissed at me for cursing, then use something that's not a curse word but they mean the same thing. Like, I say "dammit" because I wasn't paying attention and ran into something. They chew me out for it, then run into something and say "darnit." I'm a strong believer that intent is just as important as an act, so it boggles me when people do this sort of thing. Yeah, I know the words I use have been historically worse, but does that really matter?

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
chadachada123 said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:
There are certain things that are just flat out rude. Sadly, some of us didn't get the memo and don't quite get the "why" of it. This is a thread for those situations. What is something people say is extremely offensive and you just don't get why? I'll start off with homosexuality as a choice. I never got why some people are so offended by it, who the hell cares about WHY you're gay?

So, what don't you get? Feel free to help clarify it for your fellow man too, but let's try to keep it civil, mkay?

EDIT: Thanks to the folks who replied to this post. I guess what I really don't get is why it's offensive to say someone has a choice in the matter rather than saying they're a slave to genetics/upbringing/whatever. Using the 'choice' argument as an excuse for persecution is disgusting, but it's also bullshit. At the same time, I think it's fair to say there are certain people who just like being gay better than being straight, so I think we can all agree that everyone should just mind their own damn business.
I quote:
say wat now/?why?
oh nothing, I just didnt think you were morman ( had no clue what religeon you were quite frankly)

i figured
cool cool.
Now what I dont get is what the hell happened here, did i say something offensive?

No, nothing you said was offensive, but many people in the US have this idea that to suggest that a person can be both trustworthy and also secular is some sort of great mockery.

I just lucked out in being raised in a very secular part of the US. Even the most extreme Christians here, the fundamentalist creationists that think that, well, you know, are nowhere near as nutty as the AVERAGE Arkansian or Georgian.
Definatly, I even apologized the next day ( shes from alabama too, huh, weird coincidence XD)
so i said:
"I was just curious, I didnt mean anything negative by it. I was honestly curioushow was my response closed minded? I just asked a question, and i didnt make an insult or anything. I apologise if i offended you, but I honestly have no clue as to what I did."
I didnt get a respnse, so I typed:
"hello?I didnt mean anything mean, honestly, i have no idea what i even did, but for whatever I did i apologize."
so she says
"You can't apolagise without reason.It's empty, if you do so.Adieu.."
seriously, WTF
the worst part is that I used to be a pretty devout christian too, and yes, sometimes i will make a faith joke, but it'll all be in good fun most of the time ( no I never said anything to her about it) and then BOOM, it gets shoved inm my face " you're going to hell" or " worship and praise God"
like seriously, for people who claim to " love till it hurts" they sure seems kind've hypocritical

phazaar

Oct 21, 2011
I just don't get how people can be -SO- stupid as to not THINK ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE SAYING AND WHAT IT MEANS.

Am I complaining about insensitivity? Ignorance? Apathy?

No. Simply the inherent stupidity of SO many dialects adopting the phrase:

'I COULD care less.' You know. As in, you have a little bit of care for it, instead of a total disregard for ('I COULDN'T care less'), you have a little bit of care for it, thus completely undermining your entire sentence.

I'd sooner end that than have world peace.

(Cue responses of 'I could care less.')

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
aei_haruko said:
chadachada123 said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:

I quote:
say wat now/?why?

i figured
cool cool.

Definatly, I even apologized the next day ( shes from alabama too, huh, weird coincidence XD)
so i said:
"I was just curious, I didnt mean anything negative by it. I was honestly curioushow was my response closed minded? I just asked a question, and i didnt make an insult or anything. I apologise if i offended you, but I honestly have no clue as to what I did."
"hello?I didnt mean anything mean, honestly, i have no idea what i even did, but for whatever I did i apologize."
so she says
seriously, WTF
the worst part is that I used to be a pretty devout christian too, and yes, sometimes i will make a faith joke, but it'll all be in good fun most of the time ( no I never said anything to her about it) and then BOOM, it gets shoved inm my face " you're going to hell" or " worship and praise God"
like seriously, for people who claim to " love till it hurts" they sure seems kind've hypocritical
If I can just jump in here, it sounds to me like this girl is just a ***** and she'd probably be a ***** whether she went to church or not. She's a classic example of someone who doesn't recognize the difference between the church and God either way. I was born and raised Baptist in a missionary family, but I make Baptist/church/clergy jokes all the time. If someone can't joke around about their faith, or at least handle an innocent remark about it, then I think they really don't have any faith to speak of and shouldn't be bothered with at all. Also, there's nothing wrong with visiting other churches, but I can tell you that most of the clergy/church people I know don't even consider Mormons a Christian denomination. To put it lightly, their theology is just way off base from Biblical teaching.

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
sir.rutthed said:
aei_haruko said:
chadachada123 said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:

I quote:
say wat now/?why?

i figured
cool cool.

so i said:
so she says
seriously, WTF
If I can just jump in here, it sounds to me like this girl is just a ***** and she'd probably be a ***** whether she went to church or not. She's a classic example of someone who doesn't recognize the difference between the church and God either way. I was born and raised Baptist in a missionary family, but I make Baptist/church/clergy jokes all the time. If someone can't joke around about their faith, or at least handle an innocent remark about it, then I think they really don't have any faith to speak of and shouldn't be bothered with at all. Also, there's nothing wrong with visiting other churches, but I can tell you that most of the clergy/church people I know don't even consider Mormons a Christian denomination. To put it lightly, their theology is just way off base from Biblical teaching.
actually before it she was fine, shes a dc fangirl, and it was fun talking about " nuh uh, poisin ivy beats catwoman" and stuff. I didnt understand it. Also, some other guy who is normally a wonderful guy sent me this hate list about how I was arrogant and how he hated me ( Okay, sometimes I brag, but heck, we all do) and it was mostly prompted over this gay marriage debate ( hes a huge catholic) seriously, it seems to me that people in general are acting lame, but it seems ( to me and my own experiances, i realize this isnt all christians, the very fact that I have to write this part speaks to how badly people tke what I say nowadays) that people who are christian act even more anal to me... yeesh

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:
aei_haruko said:
chadachada123 said:
aei_haruko said:
sir.rutthed said:

I quote:
say wat now/?why?

i figured
cool cool.

so i said:
so she says
seriously, WTF
actually before it she was fine, shes a dc fangirl, and it was fun talking about " nuh uh, poisin ivy beats catwoman" and stuff. I didnt understand it. Also, some other guy who is normally a wonderful guy sent me this hate list about how I was arrogant and how he hated me ( Okay, sometimes I brag, but heck, we all do) and it was mostly prompted over this gay marriage debate ( hes a huge catholic) seriously, it seems to me that people in general are acting lame, but it seems ( to me and my own experiances, i realize this isnt all christians, the very fact that I have to write this part speaks to how badly people tke what I say nowadays) that people who are christian act even more anal to me... yeesh

Well I don't mean to presume, and I certainly don't know you so I can't make a judgement call, but in my experience when I have difficulty with a certain people group more often than not it's because of something I'm doing to them. If you're having that much trouble with Christians, I'd take a closer look at how I interact with them on a daily basis. People usually have a reason (even if it is a stupid one) for acting the way they do towards another.