Wal-Mart Starts Selling Used Games Online

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wal-Mart Starts Selling Used Games Online

Wal-Mart's game trading kiosks must have amassed a nice selection of used titles, as the company has begun selling pre-owned games online.

Back in May, Wal-Mart started deploying being sold online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91786-Walmart-Gets-Into-Used-Games-Biz] through Wal-Mart's website.

The used games being sold are for the following platforms: GameBoy Advance, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PSP, Xbox, and Xbox 360. Though some analysts have said that Wal-Mart probably isn't going to make a dent in the used games market, the way they are selling them here is actually somewhat appealing. All of the games are "polished, tested and inspected," already one-upping GameStop, which basically has someone look at a game for half a second to determine whether it is good or not. Wal-Mart's used games also come in the original product packaging, which is nice, though there is no mention if manuals are included as well. GameStop does include original packaging and manuals when purchasing games online, though in-store is a different story.

Wal-Mart's Prices are comparable to GameStop's, with some games priced lower and some priced higher. GameStop may already be reacting to Wal-Mart's online used prices with price drops of their own, though, or vice versa. For example, a used LittleBigPlanet is $44.99 at GameStop, marked with a new $5 "online-only" price drop, while Wal-Mart has it priced at $49.96. This could be purely coincidence (sorry I don't price check every day), but the same is also true with inFamous, Animal Crossing: City Folk, and New Super Mario Bros, with GameStop either matching Wal-Mart's prices or beating them with "online-only" price drops. Many games are just a scant 3 cents cheaper at Wal-Mart, as the retail giant is selling their titles for $XX.96, while GameStop sells their games for $XX.99.

Whatever kind of price war may be going on, or was simply created in my head, Wal-Mart appears to be setting itself up as a consumer go-to point for reliable, cheap used games. This could be great for consumers if it creates competition in the retail used videogames market, and even for collectors who may be able to find a few gems if they can click fast enough. Perhaps we'll see used games in physical Wal-Marts someday too.

(Via: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/walmartcom-starts-selling-used-games-but-doesnt-buy-them.ars])

hansari

May 31, 2009
Sir Roflpwn said:
First post!!! I hope lol

also I get the feeling Walmart will rule the world someday lol
Not if Google has anything to say about it...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I suppose this would have happened sooner or later. In the last Wal-Mart I went to, they still had copies of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for the N64 on the "old games" shelf.

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
Sir Roflpwn said:
First post!!! I hope lol

also I get the feeling Walmart will rule the world someday lol
wal-mart will rule the world, and make us pay for it.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
More power to Wal-Mart if they think they can corner the used game market. I'm honestly tired of seeing Gamestop trying to pawn off a used copy of a game at virtually the same price as a new copy. Competition may finally balance out the prices of used games at last!

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
Good, I say.

Places like Gamestop sell used games at ridiculous prices. It's almost guaranteed that Walmart will sell them at a more affordable price once they decide they want to crush GameStop.

I don't get used games for newer games (like, I dunno, Batman), but I'm not too interested in paying $40 for a game that's been out for two years and has been used.

...Of course, Amazon is still my go-to online store for games, used or otherwise. Free shipping is free, they're almost always cheaper, and I don't have to drive four miles to pick it up. I just bought a game from them two dollars cheaper than the Walmart price, and it was new. 8)

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Welcome to the party Walmart. I hope you weren't planning on staying long, because especially since you have joined the party, and further cut developers off from cash, it's pretty much guaranteed that Digital Distribution will cut you out of the equation very quickly.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Wal-Mart wont rule the world.
If anything, it will become its own country, but not the whole world. Disney, Sony, and Microsoft won't allow that.

Anyways, problem with this is...its at Wal-Mart. Im not going in there. Though I dont live in nowhere land where their power really lies, so I wont have to.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
It's good for Gamestop to have competition. Good for us consumers anyway. Maybe this means that we'll get better prices on the obviously overpriced games.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Sir Roflpwn said:
ansem1532 said:
Sir Roflpwn said:
First post!!! I hope lol
Don't. Do. This.

OT- Ah, the monopoly begins =3
lol do what? the first post? lol sorry I've always wanted to do that.
Don't make a habit of it. It is not tolerated here.

But other than that, you are forgiven =p

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
after perusing the section of used 360 games on their website..some games are a deal,whereas games like Fallout 3 are about $50.