WALL-E Writers Win Humanitas Award

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
WALL-E Writers Win Humanitas Award

The writing team behind Pixar's latest movie have won an award for enriching human understanding.

Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, the writing team behind Pixar's WALL-E, have been awarded the Humanitas Prize in the feature film category for the environmentally-conscious movie and joined such luminaries as Schindler's List and The Shawshank Redemption.

The Humanitas Awards are given out to media writers whose stories "affirm the dignity of the human person, probe the meaning of life, and enlighten the use of human freedom. The stories reveal common humanity, so that love may come to permeate the human family and help liberate, enrich and unify society."

In his acceptance speech, Reardon said to keep themselves on-point while writing their script, the WALL-E trio referred to their protagonist as 'Johnny Humanity-Seed.'

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE58H0PG20090918?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews]

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
And I think they thoroughly deserve it. Well done to them!

Which reminds me, I must go out and buy that DVD

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I had to go buy these DVD the moment it came out. Must have seen it half a dozen times in theatres. Truly a great movie, the definitely deserved it.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Truly deserved. I can't remember the last time I let myself enjoy a kids movie as much as I did Wall-E. Pixar must have struck some sort of devil's bargain for their movies to be this good.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Shawshank Redemption. Schindlers List. WALL-E. . . Something is clearly wrong here.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I enjoyed it the first time I watched it.
but after that, it felt hollow...

nilcypher said:
Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon
hmmm... may be some influence on that film Battle For Terra... (It's new, all I can say). one of the characters is called Jim Stanton... coincidence? (Oh, and it's CG)

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
AkJay said:
Shawshank Redemption. Schindlers List. WALL-E. . . Something is clearly wrong here.
Your thought is that something can't be affirming of basic dignities and involve important emotions and concepts and still be for kids?

Not baiting harsh responses here or anything, just wondering.

hansari

May 31, 2009
nilcypher said:
The Humanitas Awards are given out to media writers whose stories "affirm the dignity of the human person, probe the meaning of life, and enlighten the use of human freedom. The stories reveal common humanity, so that love may come to permeate the human family and help liberate, enrich and unify society."
So how many Humanitas Awards did Forest Gump win?

Poor gump...he is still waiting for Humanitas' reply.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:
Your thought is that something can't be affirming of basic dignities and involve important emotions and concepts and still be for kids?

You know what, yes. That is exactly what i am saying, word for fucking word.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Awww. It always warms my nonexistent heart to see WALL-E be recognized for the beautiful work of art it is. And I'm of the opinion that WALL-E definitely deserves this award. Very much so.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

Well why can't a kids film have an important emotional message ?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

Because most kids under the age of 10, whom these films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

Because most kids under the age of 10, whom these films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.
So you're saying that because it's cute and cuddly on the outside to appeal to kids, but has a thought-provoking and deep centre that can click with adults, it's to be written off anyways?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Lord_Panzer said:
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

So you're saying that because it's cute and cuddly on the outside to appeal to kids, but has a thought-provoking and deep centre that can click with adults, it's to be written off anyways?

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

Because most kids under the age of 10, whom they've films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.
Honestly though, animated movies have more important messages then any other type of genre, aside from indie, I mean take Shrek for instance, 'Love dosn't need Looks' or Monsters Vs. Aliens, which has the all too common 'Believe in Yourself' Motif. Heres the question though, Aside from the unusual District Nine, name another blockbuster that had a Humanitarian Message.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
This-is-Hip-Hop said:
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:

Because most kids under the age of 10, whom they've films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.
Honestly though, animated movies have more important messages then any other type of genre, aside from indie, I mean take Shrek for instance, 'Love dosn't need Looks' or Monsters Vs. Aliens, which has the all too common 'Believe in Yourself' Motif. Heres the question though, Aside from the unusual District Nine, name another blockbuster that had a Humanitarian Message.

-This-is-Hip-Hop
Honestly, i can't. But i will say that movies like Shrek are good, and i have yet to see Aliens Vs Monsters, but i have yet to see any children who get the theme of Shrek, most of them think it's just a movie about an Ogre and a talking Donkey. Which it is.

Anyways i really rather not talk about it, i foresee this as becoming something of a war ending in inevitable probation's/suspensions, i consider this argument over. Good day.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
hansari said:
nilcypher said:
So how many Humanitas Awards did Forest Gump win?

Poor gump...he is still waiting for Humanitas' reply.
what the hell is that blue mark on his forehead?
I don't remember ever seeing it before :p