Warcraft - Keep Grinding

Jonando Rose

Jun 11, 2016
this is just another crtic review that favors people that havent touched anything warcraft.make no mistake this movie caters to the fans that have a deep love for the universe.made for us its not for the person that wants to take their loud toddlers and crying baby to see it if your a fan of the series you will atleast like this film. even fans with a small grasp on the lore will like this.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I liked it, I also recognized that the editor of this movie was being backhanded by the studio in some form because sadly it is SO clear that like an hour was cut from this movie. Choppy edits are all that killed it, between those edits was a glimpse at something so perfect and beautiful it just needed MORE. And for that reason alone I'm giving this a thumbs up, because what I expected was far far worse than what we got.
This movie was the antithesis of the Hobbit, I could watch a more indepth 3 hour long version of this movie with ease.

I mean Orcs vs Humans and the small fragments from WC2 is arguably the most boring pieces of lore from the Warcraft Universe yet the groundwork that needs to be laid for the better ones. As much as Thrall pisses me off nowadays, you bet your backside i'll watch a movie about him breaking the Orcs free of the fel and forming the first Azerothian Horde.

If this movie can make it's budget and instill investor confidence I can only imagine how much better they'll get. The critics who pooped on this movie outright and compared it on the same level as pixels, I hope someone pisses in your coffee. That's absurd. I feel like 2 stars was a bit undue as well, it's a solid 3 star, no movie goer I've spoken to (who haven't heard of WoW/WC and saw it anyway) came out feeling ripped off, it was at worst 'an enjoyable experience'.

And the CG in the movie was on point, especially on the Orcs.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I went and watched both this and TMNT 2. Both were movies made to cater to fans old and new, both were huge CGI action fests. I enjoyed Warcraft far more. Durotan was both kingly and tragic, showing glimpses of the horde to come under his son's rule. Gul'Dan made a great foil for the heroes and simultaneously made Medivh's fall make sense. It was....funny seeing the current Preacher and Tulip playing King and Queen of the Alliance but Dominic and Ruth handled their roles with grace. Seeing all the familiar locations on a big screen was admittedly kinda awesome for a former WoW player - almost had me wanting to resub. Almost. The fights were fun to watch, the CGI wasn't terrible - this is Blizzard after all. If this turns into a movie franchise I could think of far worse ways to start - Resident Evil anyone? If they do a movie for each expansion though I very much hope that Pandaria is skipped. The plot of that particular expac was paper thin enough as is. Or perhaps just leave it localized in Orgrimmar with Garrosh orchestrating an uprising of sorts. But here I'm getting nerdy. I enjoyed it, go see it.

Turtles though? Kids stuff, skip it. A live action version of the cartoon sounds good in theory but in practice it doesn't really work.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Most of the negative reviews frankly come off as hipstery smarm-fests. The one complaint I would raise is that the first half feels like it moved a little too fast and tried to cram too much in. Aside from that it was a fun movie, and I look forward to the sequels.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
See I'm a huge lore fan and the changes they made to the characters and the story just don't make sense to me. They added in more complications than were really necessary. We didn't have to see ironforge, we didn't have to see Dalaran which is flying for some reason. We didn't have to have a meeting between dwarves, humans and elves. These are expansions in what was a fairly simple story, that could have been a good intro to the Warcraft Universe.

There are so many aspects of this freaking story that were unfaithful to the original lore and changed for the worse. In scraping to big time set up future movies they over complicated the initial story waaaaaaaaaaay more than necessary, while adding some really needless changes to events and character archs.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I haven't played the game. I read the gaming guide with the intention of playing it. Until, I realized there is a monthly subscription for playing the game. Just judging from the game guide, I thought there wasn't a story to World of Warcraft. So, I wasn't surprised by critics claiming that the story was weak. To be honest, after seeing the movie, the story is a good or better than most summer blockbusters. It was well acted. Great special effects. I don't get why there is a backlash to this movie.

It's not a great movie, or could be considered a future classic. It does what it do very well. It's worth checking out even if you are not a fan of the game.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
The movie's soundtrack is utterley forgettable and does not sound Warcraft-y enough, this sounds like Warcraft:
sounds like the soundtrack to the movie to be honest.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bombiz said:
Samtemdo8 said:
The movie's soundtrack is utterley forgettable and does not sound Warcraft-y enough, this sounds like Warcraft:
sounds like the soundtrack to the movie to be honest.
Let me show you more at least:

And this is the most musical and most epic the movie came up with:

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
Maphysto said:
Most of the negative reviews frankly come off as hipstery smarm-fests. The one complaint I would raise is that the first half feels like it moved a little too fast and tried to cram too much in. Aside from that it was a fun movie, and I look forward to the sequels.
I agree that most critics are way harsher on it than they should be but I can see why. Warcraft's biggest failing is the hectic pacing at the start and if you don't get invested in the first half then I think a lot of people just turn off their brain for the 2nd half. People, and critics especially, are suffering from CGI exhaustion so if they aren't invested by the time the big fight scenes roll around they just don't care enough to even enjoy them anymore.

Even as a huge fan of the series I was getting disoriented trying to keep up with that beginning. I want to see the director's cut, which is suppose to have 40 more minutes, to see how much better the pacing is with Duncan's original vision.

It's just such a shame because the last half of this movie is actually really good; But if you fail to get invested in the first half I can see why you wouldn't give a toss about the last half.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I saw this in cinemas today straight after Finding Dory. Thoughts on that film aside, this was me, a fan of the Warcraft universe since Warcraft III, the one who's played all three RTS games and a bit of WoW, who's read the books, the comics, etc., watching the chickens come home to roost. Is it as terrible as the critics say, or is it the film that breaks the videogame movie curse? The answer is...

...it's okay.

Not bad, not good, just okay. It's probably the best VG-based movie I've seen bar Prince of Persia, but is it "good?" No, not really, and it's primarily due to the editing. Not only does this film move very quickly, but the way scenes are cut, some of the speech just doesn't make sense. For instance, Durotan and Draka are discussing Thrall/Go'el. Then, Durotan says, "whatever happens," and so does Draka. For apparently no reason. It's like an editor cut out part of the dialogue to shave off a few minutes. Now apply this to a plenthora of scenes from the movie, and you can get an idea of why it feels so lacking in areas. It also doesn't help that it ends with sequel bait without any guarantee for a sequel. Satisfying sequel bait, sure (no spoilers, but the final scene bar the final actual teaser is the lines "for the Alliance!"), but sequel bait nonetheless. Also, for a film called "Warcraft," the "war" part of that title is pretty lacking. The fighting scenes are servicable, but nothing spectacular, and I think it's partly due to the human actors interacting with nothing, given how slow and forced some of their movements are. It doesn't help that neither side seems to use tactics bar "charge into the enemy." (i.e. there's not a single human archer to be seen).

And yet, I enjoyed this movie. The imagery is phenomenal - not just the orcs, which downright rival Avatar in how well defined they are (not once did I think they didn't look real), but the aesthetics as well. The film carries the Warcraft aesthetic excellently, ranging from the magic to the armour. The characters are a bit stretched, in that they have limited material, but I liked them all, pretty much - I think Garona steals the show (and for the record, I don't know why people were complaining about her voice, I could understand her perfectly). The writing is decent overall - nothing spectacular, but quite servicable.

In the end, Warcraft is a film that knows what it is - a fantasy film of two races being forced to fight together because despite their efforts, alternatives can't be found (no spoilers, but the film does meet the literary definition of "tragedy" in areas). It is unashamedly high fantasy. It isn't nearly as good as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings, but it isn't trying to be those things in any way. It's really the editing and lack of character development that hinders the film, but honestly, I'm glad to have seen it. It's not the big successful VG adaptation we've all hoped for, but it's still one of the best out there. As a Warcraft fan, I enjoyed it. As someone who tries to have a critical eye for movies, I could see the flaws, but the flaws don't ever outweigh the cons. If the film fails, then I at least agree with Mater that it fails for reasons other than apathy/indifference to making a fantasy flick that uses Warcraft as its source material.

So, to Duncan Jones, good job. Not a good film per se, but I still enjoyed my time.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Well.... it wasn't as awful as critics say, but it was still kind of bad.

The acting.... holy shit was it bad. It made it incredibly hard to connect with almost any of these characters. Kadgar was particularly awful while Lothar just came across as generic fantasy guy number 5000. The only major character who I felt was acted decently was Mediv. The guy who played him did a great job of seeming extremely mysterious while also struggling with connecting to his own people.

The visuals were actually pretty good. The humans kind of stuck out stylistically, but the trailers really didn't do the rest of the stuff justice. The orcs looked quite good and the world itself was excellent. The action scenes were similar in quality: weird when humans were involved, but pretty good when it was just orcs.

The story itself was mediocre at best. I know this was supposed to be for the fans, but I don't understand why. Is the rest of Warcraft's stories like this? The main antagonist isn't compelling at all. It's just two guys who became evil because of green magic. No motivations besides being evil and wanting more power. That's not interesting. Then there's the romance..... at least it didn't end up with them together because I didn't buy it for a second. She apparently loves Lothar after spending like 3 hours with the guy. Ha! Why would she love him? He has no personality at all. The guy barely batted an eye when his son was slaughtered in front of him. He just has some drinks, throws the fakest tantrum ever, and then goes back to normal dull fantasy guy number 5000. The only part of the story that I found to be any good was the ending.

The funniest thing about this movie is that many fans are claiming that people don't like it because it's hard to follow for people who don't know the lore. What?! It's an incredibly simple story. That's not inherently a bad thing, I'm just saying that I never once felt lost during the entirety of the movie and the only Warcraft I've played are custom games of Frozen Throne.

So ya, not terrible, and probably one of the best video game movies, but still kind of bad. Glad my ticket only cost 5 bucks.