Warhammer 40k 8th Edition Announced - What could possibly go wrong?!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
https://warhammer40000.com/

So...this.

The long feared and technically anticipated 8th Ed will soon be upon us. From what GW has said they're retooling the game from the ground up.
A few things stick out to me.
1. ALL the codexes will be obsolete. So all the brand new codexes you just bought, Thousand Sons, Deathwatch, Wulfen...yeah, waste of money. They were printing and selling new codexes knowing in less than a year they'd be completely obsolete and we'd have to buy new ones.
People have said the new unit rules will be free - I can't find that anywhere. All I can find is there will be new rules, and the old rules don't work and when has GW ever passed up an opportunity to charge you $24.99 for something.

So all I can see if a cash grab.

Second thing that struck me was perhaps the most tone-deaf this GW has ever said. To quote the FAQ itself:

Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games Workshop?

Gross. The level of ignorance and arrogance this shows. That GW, "new" or otherwise, think's it has a good reputation. That they're price-inflation, terrible customer service, infamous working conditions, greed and overall lack of polish or care should endear us to them!

Don't get me wrong - I love Warhammer 40k. I hate Games Workshop. The last time they tried to 'reinvent from the ground up using customer interaction and community feedback' they came up with Age of Sigmar that everyone hated and completely ruined Fantasy.

...I guess the new Death Guard models look kinda' cool.

Thoughts? Excited? Fearful?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
WOAH SHITBISCUITS

An Adeptus Custodes codex?! What the balls?!

They've got to be about to destroy everything if the freaking Adeptus Custodes are getting an army list.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bastardofmelbourne said:
WOAH SHITBISCUITS

An Adeptus Custodes codex?! What the balls?!

They've got to be about to destroy everything if the freaking Adeptus Custodes are getting an army list.
Oh don't worry about it. Codexes are obsolete

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
inu-kun said:
hearing about it from Adeptus Podcastus it seems the ideas are not bad, making the game flow better with the only real fear being it reverting to Hero-hammer 40k.

Silentpony said:
Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games Workshop?
I'm pretty sure it's tongue in cheek (as it's obviously a joke), but from the same podcast they seem they got a lot better in recent years.
Tongue in cheek about whether or not we should trust them to not fuck this up? Jeez, PR needs to have a word with them.

Not exactly a good sign if they did a good job on this GW bursts out laughing...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Why do I have a feeling that the 'All current armies are valid' statement in the Faq has a giant invisible asterisk next to it? GW doesn't just do a reboot and not make it so someone (probably Dark Eldar players, as usual) has to go out and spend 1500 bucks to make their army valid again. It's the only way their CEOs get off anymore.

As for how I feel about it... ehhhh, honestly at this point I just keep up with all the GW updates and releases for the lore (which they maybe probably just miiiiight actually be moving forward with, finally). Home-brew rules with out-dated models or lego stand ins (with K-nex Titans when going all Apocalypse) is both cheaper and more fun than having half my army invalidated and the other half nerfed/overpowered to the point of ridiculousness.

That said, if the new model prices are reasonable and the rules for all armies balanced without favouring any specific faction, I might jump back in with my wallet open. But given that Jesus Christ descending from the heavens themselves to usher mankind into a golden age of prosperity has better odds of happening...

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Great. Just fan-fuckin' tastic. So that Imperial Agents Codex is now about as useful as toilet paper. Same for the Traitor Legions. Fuck. That is shitty. But on the other hand, stopping the trend of having to pay 40 ? every few years for essentially the same fluff and rules does sound enticing. Getting new rules for Chaos, Orks and Grey Knights all at once sounds good too, as does giving the finger to Tau and Eldar.

On the other hand, having watched GW be essentially complete and total assholes to their customers for basically the whole time I've been playing, seeing them at least put out a FAQ and even addressing some heavier questions does awaken some hope in me.

This "three ways to play" reeks of the highest bullshit. "Open play" = unbalanced, incomprehensible and just no fun. "narrative play" = "You better buy these VERY SPECIFIC $5000 worth of models to be able to play these scenarios, or you can piss off". "Matched play" = The way anyone with a functioning brain cell decides to play.

We'll wait and see.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Does this doom and gloom happen with every update for the editions?

Was there Doom and Gloom between First to Second Edition?

In the end just play video games. Tabletop is long dead for the casual mainstream market.

Unless they make Video Game conversions of the Tabletop like this:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:

I was there for 2nd to 3rd, and though I was annoyed by the big changes to the game they made, they handled it pretty well. Also, in those days, the rules were only a very small part of the codices, so you weren't losing as much.

After 3rd ed, the rules remained much the same, you you could still use last edition's codex if a new one hadn't come out. Or sometimes one from a few editions back if it's an unpopular army they don't update often.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:

In the end just play video games. Tabletop is long dead for the casual mainstream market.

Unless they make Video Game conversions of the Tabletop like this:

The doom and gloom started with Age of Sigmar when it was promised they had listened to the customers, re-designed the game from the ground up to be everything we wanted, to be the best version of Fantasy it could be.

And it gutted Fantasy. It was a terribly balanced, poorly written, confused and confusing cash-grab that ruined Fantasy, and even now years later, still barely anyone plays it and it was a financial disaster for GW - at least at my local GW, where the manager is in dire straights because he sells about 1 box worth of AoS models a month and no one plays the game.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
And it gutted Fantasy. It was a terribly balanced, poorly written, confused and confusing cash-grab that ruined Fantasy, and even now years later, still barely anyone plays it and it was a financial disaster for GW - at least at my local GW, where the manager is in dire straights because he sells about 1 box worth of AoS models a month and no one plays the game.
To be fair, while it was initially rubbish, it improved to being only bad later on.

And AoS models are nice as long as you use them for 40k conversions. Dunno, maybe Blood Bowl?

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Silentpony said:
1. ALL the codexes will be obsolete. So all the brand new codexes you just bought, Thousand Sons, Deathwatch, Wulfen...yeah, waste of money. They were printing and selling new codexes knowing in less than a year they'd be completely obsolete and we'd have to buy new ones.
That has been GW's modus operandi for over 20 years dude.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
DarthCoercis said:
Silentpony said:
That has been GW's modus operandi for over 20 years dude.
Not true, since 3rd ed most codices would work with the next edition of 40k. Now, a new codex would replace the old ones every so often, sure, but they'd not invalidate them all in one fell swoop.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Not true, since 3rd ed most codices would work with the next edition of 40k. Now, a new codex would replace the old ones every so often, sure, but they'd not invalidate them all in one fell swoop.
3rd ed worked with 4th for a little while, but 4th didn't work with 5th, 5th didn't work with 6th and 6th didn't work with 7th. 1st and 2nd weren't particularly compatible, nor were 2nd and 3rd.

It was worse with fantasy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So I went to have a little chat with my local GW manager. The way he said it the baseline rules for the units and 'free play' will be free content - a digital download, on a new 40k App, that has an optional subscription.

Then actual points values for the units, unit upgrades(meltagun, Rhino, marker lights, etc...), formations, detachments, and the two other play modes 'points based' and 'narrative based' will be available as premium content.

That's right, GW is treating 40k rules as Freemium content for a subscription based digital app.

Oh what could possibly go wrong?!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Silentpony said:
Thoughts? Excited? Fearful?
It's 40K, EVERYTHING will go wrong, they've had ten thousand years of it all going wrong.

I am rather glad I don't play the game, I look forward to lot's of cartoonishly epic artwork and Text To Speech to have a whole new set of characters to play with.

I quietly hope for the return of Squats and Digganobz.