Warhammer 40K Advice for a beginner to tabletop games. *EDIT*

zombie goat fetish

Aug 6, 2011
I am looking into playing Warhammer 40k but I am a bit lost with were to begin I was thinking about buying Assault on Black Reach to begin to get a idea and feel of the game.

Anyone else got any pointers or purchases advice for me, I am also planning on the painting my models so any advice on that would be appreciated as well, thanks.

*EDIT*

Thanks for the advice guys I am going to go with AOBR. Just one more question how long does it take to get used to the terminology of the game. A few things I seen in the posts I didn't understand like building a __ points army and such.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Faces are hard to paint. Now, if you have necrons, or Space marines all wearing helmets, there are no faces to paint, that's a plus.

Also, necrons or marine armies are smaller, so ALOT less expensive, and more time to work on each model.

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
Just get assault on black reach, then ask around to see who you would like to play the most- just dont let Games Workshop force you into playing space marines unless you really want to. Also, as for painting, im shocking myself, just have to be a little patient.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Painting is a hobby in itself, and as such, requires a topic on its own.

I think Assault on Black Reach is a good place to start. I'd recommend looking for battle reports involving different armies, so you can get a feel for what are their strengths and weaknesses. You will need this to make the move towards purchasing your first 1.000/1.500-point army.

Do a lot of research, since the minis are expensive. Also, be aware there are other companies making minis that can easily be used in GW games, and they are usually cheaper. Those might be a good starting point when you start to paint.

zombie goat fetish

Aug 6, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Faces are hard to paint. Now, if you have necrons, or Space marines all wearing helmets, there are no faces to paint, that's a plus.

Also, necrons or marine armies are smaller, so ALOT less expensive, and more time to work on each model.
The Necrons and Chaos Marines were the ones I was thinking of getting just because I think they look bad ass and I liked them in the pc games.

Brusveen

Oct 22, 2008
Well Chaos used to be alot more fun to play than what they are nowadays, but when GW made chaos more basic rule wise they also became alot more accessible to beginners. I'd personally recommend them since they are fun and not all that complicated to paint, aswell as the fact that you will have an army which is personal and adaptable.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
zombie goat fetish said:
thaluikhain said:

The Necrons and Chaos Marines were the ones I was thinking of getting just because I think they look bad ass and I liked them in the pc games.
Yeah, necrons are pretty cool, (not their fluff, though), and while they are very hard to paint well, they aren't that hard to paint ok.

Chaos has a lot more leeway in what you can do with them, and allows all sorts of crazy stuff...if you cock something up, you can often get away with pretending you wanted the model to look like that, cause it's chaos :)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I love the miniatures, I love the world, and I've often thought about getting into it. Maybe getting a set for me and a set for my girlfriend, that sort of thing. But I just cannot imagine painting those bloody things. They look SO COOL when someone competent paints them. And they would look SO AWFUL if I did.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
The game's jargon can take a while to learn. About the army thing I mentioned, each miniature is worth a set amount of points. Before each tabletop combat, you and your opponent agree on how many points the armies will have. basically, points are a balancing factor. A Carnifex is much more powerful and resilient than Orks, and thus have an accordingly higher cost.

Some armies are specialized in large hordes of cheaper units, while others excel at few powerhouses. Each approach has its benefits and downsides.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
zombie goat fetish said:
I am looking into playing Warhammer 40k but I am a bit lost with were to begin I was thinking about buying Assault on Black Reach to begin to get a idea and feel of the game.

Anyone else got any pointers or purchases advice for me, I am also planning on the painting my models so any advice on that would be appreciated as well, thanks.

*EDIT*

Thanks for the advice guys I am going to go with AOBR. Just one more question how long does it take to get used to the terminology of the game. A few things I seen in the posts I didn't understand like building a __ points army and such.
Only get Assault on Black Reach if you want top play Space Marines or Space Orks, if not you are wasting your money.

You asked about point values, this is easy to understand once you get a Codex for your army: Every model has a point value, one Marine cost 15 points, any upgrades cost points, add all that up and you have your army value.

Other than that most of the things you need to know you gain pretty quickly from the rule book.

zombie goat fetish

Aug 6, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
zombie goat fetish said:

*EDIT*

Only get Assault on Black Reach if you want top play Space Marines or Space Orks, if not you are wasting your money.

You asked about point values, this is easy to understand once you get a Codex for your army: Every model has a point value, one Marine cost 15 points, any upgrades cost points, add all that up and you have your army value.

Other than that most of the things you need to know you gain pretty quickly from the rule book.
Cool thanks very much, one of the main reason I wanted to get AOBR was because there was 2 armies with it so I could get a idea of a battle scenario and such instead of having one army.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Cool thanks very much, one of the main reason I wanted to get AOBR was because there was 2 armies with it so I could get a idea of a battle scenario and such instead of having one army.[/quote]

True, but if you don't have anyone to play with I suggest finding a group at a local store or something, always easier to learn from someone else.

zombie goat fetish

Aug 6, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
True, but if you don't have anyone to play with I suggest finding a group at a local store or something, always easier to learn from someone else.
Good point I will keep that in mind, thanks for the advice.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
thaluikhain said:

I'm currently looking for a teeny tiny brush for painting eyes- faces are generally easy to get "alright" if you don't paint eyes you can't get right. GW's "fine detail brush" is too hyugefor my manly painting. Been advised to try a cocktail stick.

Then again, I've been painting Infinity miniatures instead of 40K, which are so beautiful it's almost impossible to make them look bad.

Also, it's a smaller scale game, so I have an excuse to really spend some time on every model. Even if I'm just buying the occasional one for other geeky games.

I blame it not looking better on the camera being crap.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Aurgelmir said:
Not necessarily, it gets you the mini rulebook, templates, and I just use the sprues for customised Eldar models... (downed foes and all that good stuff).

zombie goat fetish said:
OT: Word of warning: be prepared to spend a lot of money if you intend on taking this hobby up on a long term basis. OK, shit out of the way.

A good place to start would be AoBR because it'll start you off with a good core force for either Orks or Marines (both of which are noob friendly armies). Get the codices (or just one of them, though I make it a point to have all of them so I know what the other lists are capable of). Have a few small games (1000pts at most, [user]Aurgelmir[/user]'s already gone through the points system: points per model; points for upgrades etc.) so you can get a feel for how the game plays, and if you think the factions you're with are boring, pick up another one (hence why I say get the codices, I got the Eldar one months before I settled on them, never looked back). Depending on how you play, I would advise different factions as they have their tactical pros and cons (while there are a few who are naturally easy or naturally difficult to play with e.g. Marines and Dark Eldar, respectivey).

If you want tips on painting (painting technique, as opposed to paints) or just general 40K stuff, PM me. Just don't mention Mat Ward! -_-

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
zombie goat fetish said:

*EDIT*

Black Reach is a good un. Space MArines are a good, solid force to start with, as are Orks, if you've got the patience to paint the buggers.

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
When you get to battles, remember one thing; try as hard as possible not to field grey miniatures (grey being the natural color of the plastic pieces). This is not just a little complaint people have, it's used so people don't buy a model 15 min. before a game, slap it together and use it, which can really throw off a game. If you can't get at least 2 colors on a model before a game and you really need to use it, ask your opponent if he's okay with proxying, and get some unused models you have (if you buy black reach, you'll have either Orks or SM which you probably won't be using) to represent the uncompleted models.

Also, you should read the webcomic "Turn Signals on a Land Raider". It's funny, and you get to use a few catchphrases. "FREEM" is a standard.

s0nic_al

Sep 15, 2010
Whatever you do. Don't go with Imperial Guard unless you are willing to take a mortgage on your house to build an army that can actually win a battle.