Warhammer 40K MMO Will Cost At Least $50 Million

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
jhamre said:
Dochand said:
As for giving an option to play female Space Marines, couldn't it just be handwaved by saying they're Adepta Sororitas? I know they're not the same, but it would allow people to play as women in power armor.
Nobody saw female Orcs, Goblins, or Taurens in Warcraft III but they sure as hell surfaced in WoW. Think of how much fire an MMO would come under if a race was restricted to one gender. What's fun without messing up a bit of lore here and there?
Warcraft lore is not soley based on the games the books had females in them

in the first Warhammer MMO they kept some things down to one gender

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
sleeky01 said:
Moonpooman said:
Nick Holmgren said:
as long as we don't have the ultra smurf's as the only playable marines it is fine.
I think the only space marine chapter there will be the Black Templars. That's at least what PC Gamer told me.
And from what I gather those Black Templar will be the "tank class". Even tho from the trailers I've seen they use bolters quite abit. In fact I have acouple of doubts on if it really is a traditional RPG. From all the trailers I've seen it might be better described as an FPS with RPG elements.

For the Templar at least you use a reticule to shoot your bolter. Briefly seen at 0:44 below.

I wonder if you can select "Warhound" [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan#Warhound_Scout_Titans] as a class...

[small](that's still the smallest titans, and you can see in the trailer that they're absolutely towering)[/small]

[sub]Yes, I know that's not gonna happen.
[sub]Unfortunately.[/sub][/sub]

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
FarleShadow said:
I like the 40k thing. in games. fuck tabletop.

But the thing that gets me is this: Why the fuck does everyone love the goddamn Space Marines/Emperor? Yes, power armor and chainswords are cool, but for fuck sake, these are essentially 'Space Nazi's' who kill anyone who doesn't bow to their dominion.

I prefered Tau in...well, everything. Sensible guns (IE, don't explode in your face), sensible battle strategies (IE, don't charge in screaming 'FOR THE EMPEROR' against all odds) and don't go through the 'Warp' because its fucking stupid.

Oh, I also like the Mars tech guys, that's cool too.
They actually do go through the Warp. They just can't do long distance warp jumps, as they have no Psychers (navigators) to guide them.

They also have the lamest back story ever in W40K.

While I agree, Ultramarine patterned Space Marines are over done to an extreme, the Imperial Guard and the Space Wolves take the cake when it comes to W40K awesome.

EDIT: Also, they're freaking cowards. They abandon any battle they are not sure they can win.

Seriously, the Tau are pretty much unable to try anything they are not entirely sure they'll succeed at. Cowards.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
rsvp42 said:
But that simply wouldn't work. They'd be ret-conning like every piece of Space Marine-related media in the entire IP. The lore is that only male genetics can support the augmentations that Space Marines undergo. I don't think they could change that just to shoehorn in MMO standards, at least not without upsetting (and possibly alienating) the existing fans, who would be providing the backbone of this game's playerbase.
Or they could just make the mmo an alternate version of the core game. This game has it's lore which is partially different but still follows most of original (or current original). Several series have done this. Plus, like I said even if they allowed women you couldn't tell them apart anyway. Why can't the marines just be genderless once the process is done? They're freaks of nature anyway.

Well, mini rant over, another idea could be make a new race that solves this problem kind of. Females that are a lot like space marines in alterations but not space marines. They wouldn't be human, have a different culture, and they only exist in the mmo. That would satisfy the want (kind of) without messing up the former group. I think.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
direkiller said:
jhamre said:
Dochand said:
As for giving an option to play female Space Marines, couldn't it just be handwaved by saying they're Adepta Sororitas? I know they're not the same, but it would allow people to play as women in power armor.
Nobody saw female Orcs, Goblins, or Taurens in Warcraft III but they sure as hell surfaced in WoW. Think of how much fire an MMO would come under if a race was restricted to one gender. What's fun without messing up a bit of lore here and there?

I don't know enough about the lore in either Warcraft or Warhammer. I'm just making a point. Everything I've said is solely based off of my experience with the games. Ask me about Halo lore and I'll go on a rant.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
jhamre said:
direkiller said:
jhamre said:
Dochand said:

I don't know enough about the lore in either Warcraft or Warhammer. I'm just making a point. Everything I've said is solely based off of my experience with the games. Ask me about Halo lore and I'll go on a rant.
Ah, no wonder.

You can't compare Halo lore to W40K lore. Its like comparing you're personal library to the Library of Congress.

No offense intended (Though, God do I hate Halo's story, even if the books are pretty well written).

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
They actually do go through the Warp. They just can't do long distance warp jumps, as they have no Psychers (navigators) to guide them.

They also have the lamest back story ever in W40K.

While I agree, Ultramarine patterned Space Marines are over done to an extreme, the Imperial Guard and the Space Wolves take the cake when it comes to W40K awesome.

EDIT: Also, they're freaking cowards. They abandon any battle they are not sure they can win.

Seriously, the Tau are pretty much unable to try anything they are not entirely sure they'll succeed at. Cowards.
From what I read about the Tau, they kinda dive towards it, but at the point of entry divert off it, so they gain the speed boost, but not actually enter it. But even so, its not as stupid as actually staying in the warp.

And yea, the backstory is alittle lame (Whoa, underdeveloped culture, then BOOM, GREATER GOOD BITCHES), but its their combat and weapons I like. And, cowardice or not, the addage goes:
"Those who fight and run away, live to fight another day!"

Or you could charge a hoard of orks alone and hold them up for acouple minutes before they overwhelm you and turn you into a sign board.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Omegatronacles said:
teebeeohh said:
my only problem is that the only solution if you want to have factions(and everyone wants factions since they worked so well in wow) is to limit players to the Imperium and maybe make a chaos/orc alliance as the enemy. And that would suck, i will not play this game if can not be an eldar.

I would also settle for piloting a battlesuit
Who says they have to limit the factions? Just because WoW has 2 factions doesn't mean every other game has to have 2 factions.
so which game (besides DAoC) tried more than 2? or less for that matter, even lotro has you playing monsters. the problem would still be that with very few exceptions the Imperium does not ally itself with xenos and it also would be unrealistic to put everyone who is not human into a faction. and if you have more than 2 faction you would need to seriously gimp the Imperial one get some kind of balance between them

edit: why do people want to change so much of the lore just to fit it into an mmo? the 40k universe is so big that you can just pick a random sector, say that during the heresy somebody forgot a titan legion there so the mars freaks(are they even real members of the Imperium?) would like to retake those worlds. BAM instant setting and you can easily work almost all other factions in there just make sure to this close to tau space if you want to use them, every other race is pretty much not bound by location

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
FarleShadow said:
And, cowardice or not, the addage goes:

Or you could charge a hoard of orks alone and hold them up for acouple minutes before they overwhelm you and turn you into a sign board.
This alone make the Tau out of place in the Universe.

W40K is about a never ending battle against the corrosive forces of Chaos. Millions die a day to the cruelty of Dark Gods, or the wrath of the Emperor. Desperate battles are fought in every corner of the galaxy in a constant attempt to beat fate. The only thing keeping the Imperium together is questionably placed faith and a Balls to the Wall attitude. Chaos looms, the Eldar deceive and confound, the Ork lust for battle, Necrons slaughter in the name of Unimaginably strong beings, and the Tyranids devour whole sectors.

And the Tau retreat to fight another day.

Seriously?

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Voodoomancer said:
sleeky01 said:
Moonpooman said:
Nick Holmgren said:
as long as we don't have the ultra smurf's as the only playable marines it is fine.
I think the only space marine chapter there will be the Black Templars. That's at least what PC Gamer told me.
And from what I gather those Black Templar will be the "tank class". Even tho from the trailers I've seen they use bolters quite abit. In fact I have acouple of doubts on if it really is a traditional RPG. From all the trailers I've seen it might be better described as an FPS with RPG elements.

For the Templar at least you use a reticule to shoot your bolter. Briefly seen at 0:44 below.

I wonder if you can select "Warhound" [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan#Warhound_Scout_Titans] as a class...

[small](that's still the smallest titans, and you can see in the trailer that they're absolutely towering)[/small]

[sub]Yes, I know that's not gonna happen.
[sub]Unfortunately.[/sub][/sub]
Well there are going to be controllable vehicles and according to PC gamer UK he did confirm that a player was indeed controlling that titan.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/04/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-online-a-grim-dark-future/

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
FarleShadow said:

W40K is about a never ending battle against the corrosive forces of Chaos. Millions die a day to the cruelty of Dark Gods, or the wrath of the Emperor. Desperate battles are fought in every corner of the galaxy in a constant attempt to beat fate. The only thing keeping the Imperium together is questionably placed faith and a Balls to the Wall attitude. Chaos looms, the Eldar deceive and confound, the Ork lust for battle, Necrons slaughter in the name of Unimaginably strong beings, and the Tyranids devour whole sectors.

Seriously?
Consider more the position of the players, The Emperor and mankind is tied to fighting Chaos/orks/etc, but have alot of expendable peons to do it with. They can afford the Guardsman/Soviet approach to warfare. Dark Eldar care less about Dominion and more about evil pursuits and are equally likely to turn on themselves than they are to turn on anyone else in the universe. Eldar are scattered and basically Elves from every fiction ever-made.

Apart from the all-consuming Tyranids, Tau have no real 'opposing sides'. If this was a world war, Tau are the quiet nation, slowly accumulating territory without opposition as the major sides bash it out. Atleast, that's how I see it and, without the religious decree against technological development like the IoM, they might eventually become major players with massive guns.

Nadiril

Dec 28, 2008
On the topic of the whole female space marines opposite gender kinda things. Even though don't quote me on this, I've read somewhere that apparently Games workshop are really obsessive that no real major lore is broken. So I'm going to assume that there will be no female space marines (unless like they suggested they use the SoB's), no female orks etc. Which to be perfectly honest I don't think will matter. I think any female fans of 40k would rather play a male space marine/ork and keep the lore then going OMGOMGOMG I CAN"T PLAY FEMALE AS EVERY RACE QQ. Though maybe other girls who are new to the 40k lore might be a bit put off.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
FarleShadow said:

Seriously?
i always thought that the thing that made the Tau out of place was the fact that they sometimes talk to others before they start shooting.

and i don't get who space marines are such a powerful force, they are a limited number of super soldiers and their only tactic seems to be "CHAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE"

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
teebeeohh said:
i always thought that the thing that made the Tau out of place was the fact that they sometimes talk to others before they start shooting.

and i don't get who space marines are such a powerful force, they are a limited number of super soldiers and their only tactic seems to be "CHAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE"
The strength of the Ultramarine Space Marine is not so much that they are steam rollers, but that they are very good at picking WHERE to steam roll.

That, and Plot Armor.

FarleShadow said:
Consider more the position of the players, The Emperor and mankind is tied to fighting Chaos/orks/etc, but have alot of expendable peons to do it with. They can afford the Guardsman/Soviet approach to warfare. Dark Eldar care less about Dominion and more about evil pursuits and are equally likely to turn on themselves than they are to turn on anyone else in the universe. Eldar are scattered and basically Elves from every fiction ever-made.

Apart from the all-consuming Tyranids, Tau have no real 'opposing sides'. If this was a world war, Tau are the quiet nation, slowly accumulating territory without opposition as the major sides bash it out. Atleast, that's how I see it and, without the religious decree against technological development like the IoM, they might eventually become major players with massive guns.
That makes them no less lame.

W40K is a SciFi for the bold.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Exort said:
50 million is not a lot for a MMO.
WoW cost Blizzard 100 million not including post-release, and that was 7 years ago.
The Old republic is rumored to cost 300 million pre-release, even it might be wrong, it probably still cost more than 100 million.
I'm pretty sure WoW cost $200 million...at least that's the only figure I seem to recall. Not that it really matters, your point is still correct.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
That makes them no less lame.

W40K is a SciFi for the bold.
I facepalmed so hard, I broke my face.

No. W40K is not 'SciFi for the BOLD', its just vanilla Sci-Fi with a non-Lucas afiliated dark side. God, that was a lame lame lame statement.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
teebeeohh said:
Omegatronacles said:
teebeeohh said:
my only problem is that the only solution if you want to have factions(and everyone wants factions since they worked so well in wow) is to limit players to the Imperium and maybe make a chaos/orc alliance as the enemy. And that would suck, i will not play this game if can not be an eldar.

I would also settle for piloting a battlesuit
Who says they have to limit the factions? Just because WoW has 2 factions doesn't mean every other game has to have 2 factions.
so which game (besides DAoC) tried more than 2? or less for that matter, even lotro has you playing monsters. the problem would still be that with very few exceptions the Imperium does not ally itself with xenos and it also would be unrealistic to put everyone who is not human into a faction. and if you have more than 2 faction you would need to seriously gimp the Imperial one get some kind of balance between them
Why not have each race be its own faction? No gimping required. Just because more than 2 factions is not the norm doesn't mean it's the law.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
rsvp42 said:
I'm looking forward to this, but after seeing how people get during TOR's development, I can only imagine how they'll critique this game pre-release. It occurred to me that, as awesome as 40k is, there's some lore reasons it might struggle with a wider audience. One is how gender-specific everything is. Female Space Marines are impossible and I've never seen a female Ork. Eldar might have the closest to gender equality, but I'm not super-familiar with them. In a genre where even the slightest limitation for "lore reasons" is met with hostility, some aspects of character creation might not go over well with players unfamiliar with 40k's galaxy. This is one IP where you simply can't make compromises on certain things (like female Marines).

I'd still play the pants off it, but I don't know how others would see it.

illas said:
By Morkai's fangs there had better be Space Wolves in it!
If not, I'm off to get drunk on ale. It's what Russ would want.
Agreed! I'm actually building up a Space Wolves force right now. Though admittedly, it's just a personal hobby and a chance to hone my painting skills, as I don't know many folks that play it.
Sorry to lose a potential player (xD) but the chapter used for Space Marines are the Black Templars as they're even more loosely based than Leman Russ' warriors.