Warhammer 40k

Vesuvius Hetlan

Sep 3, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Please, go ahead! I think he's OK, but he was skirting the limit with the Blood Angels, but the GK's were really, really... ugh...

Anyway, 'Eavy Metal only do the showcase hobbying & intricate paintjobs. They're not part of the design team. The Dreadknight was designed by Dale Stringer, Tom Walton, Martin Footitt & Jes Goodwin. Thankfully, Juan Diaz didn't do it.
Well... I personally like a lot of Matt Ward's work. Both the Space Marine and Blood Angels are very interesting armies to play with but Grey Knights... I see a big problem. They're about as tactically flexible as a brick. Which really upsets me. I play Marines. I'm not going to hid it. But I don't typically rely on power armour to protect me as I close the gap and bash heads in. I stay behind cover most of the time. With Grey Knights you have to do that. There's no point in having a stormbolter with the average guys if you're going to sit in a bunker.

And I really don't like the Dreadknight. I do like the grey knight Dreadnought and Stormraven even...(Don't judge me!)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Vesuvius Hetlan said:
Well... I personally like a lot of Matt Ward's work. Both the Space Marine and Blood Angels are very interesting armies to play with but Grey Knights... I see a big problem. They're about as tactically flexible as a brick. Which really upsets me. I play Marines. I'm not going to hid it. But I don't typically rely on power armour to protect me as I close the gap and bash heads in. I stay behind cover most of the time. With Grey Knights you have to do that. There's no point in having a stormbolter with the average guys if you're going to sit in a bunker.

And I really don't like the Dreadknight. I do like the grey knight Dreadnought and Stormraven even...(Don't judge me!)
Meh, I don't mind the Stormraven, just can never find the points to put it in my BA list...

And yeah, you'll get no argument from me regarding the GK's massive gameplay issues. There's only really one thing you do with them 'the enemy's over there' and that pretty much sums up their tactical requirements, especially with an army that small. *shrug*

Vesuvius Hetlan

Sep 3, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Meh, I don't mind the Stormraven, just can never find the points to put it in my BA list...

And yeah, you'll get no argument from me regarding the GK's massive gameplay issues. There's only really one thing you do with them 'the enemy's over there' and that pretty much sums up their tactical requirements, especially with an army that small. *shrug*
Yeah. There have been a lot of things I didn't like about the GK. But now they've gotten rid of inquisitorial storm troopers.
... Damn... I was hoping for plastic minis of those.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Vesuvius Hetlan said:
Yeah. There have been a lot of things I didn't like about the GK. But now they've gotten rid of inquisitorial storm troopers.
... Damn... I was hoping for plastic minis of those.
Well, I suppose all we can do is wait for Sisters of Battle... and pray... and beg forgiveness!!

Vesuvius Hetlan

Sep 3, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Well, I suppose all we can do is wait for Sisters of Battle... and pray... and beg forgiveness!!
Amen to that! Seriously tho' I really want to use Stormtrooper models in place of scouts... It would look a lot cooler.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Vampire cat said:
scumofsociety said:
Ok, that's not quite what I'd call 50 seperate armies but still it's pretty damn impressive. What are they all if I may ask?

It's also pretty cheap if you just use ebay, it's not so much the possible cost that impresses me so much as the time involved in painting them all.
Uh, this list again XD. I have all my armies stored in cases at a warehouse, so it's down to memory... I'll take those I can remember.

[Snip]

Battlefleet Gothic Chaos fleet (3000pts)
Battlefleet Gothic Imperial fleet (1300pts)
Battlefleet Gothic Eldar fleet (1500pts)

[End Snip]
*sigh*... Long list.
I don't suppose you know the better ways to kill 'Planet Killer' with an Eldar fleet then? Or any basic how to use them properly? I know some people who have some BFG and one of them has Chaos and the mean habbit of always pulling Planet Killer out to lead his fleet and if I get a fleet to play them to you can bet I'm going to come across that ship a lot. :/

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I've been at it for nearly ten years now. Its expensive as hell, incredibly time consuming, and awesome fun.
You should find an army you like the look of, both aesthetically and rules wise. And first thing you should do is go to your local GW and have a trial game. And be wary, some of the staff are very very good salesmen. you go in for a new pot of paint and walk out with a whole new army xD

SketchyFK

Mar 14, 2010
Back in Jan 2010 orks got a 4th ed update, there are alot of fun things you can do with them and, while I havn't played many games with them, i've seen many competitions with orks as a dominating force. Orks are simple and straight forward.

Space Marines are, well, average. In all aspects of life. They recieved a recent update and will continue to recieve updates. So if you go for them, you'll continue to get good stuff released for your army.

Tau, on the otherhand, are due for a 4th ed update. I heard rumours that games workshop are going to be doing a 4th ed update for the necrons in the summer (just rumours, i do no know if anything has been finialised).

If you like tau, then i would suggest holding off till some of the newer models and codex come out. It shouldn't be too long. If you really want to play tau and do buy them only to discover the 4th ed codex really isn't anthing special, the BEST advice i can give you is take a saw and glue and start Orking them.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Space Marines are pretty easy to pick up, but I personally wouldn't play them because they're very, very common.

I roll, Eldar, mutha' fucka'!
Eldar take a bit more getting used to and you need to have an actual plan, because otherwise you get pinned down and raped. Each unit is fairly specific and I struggle a lot of if one key unit gets taken out, so it's easy to have a bad day.

That said, if you get the hang of Eldar tactics, you can munch most other armies, because you've got something to deal with everything.

Tau can be fun provided you always keep your distance (I can't say that appeals much to me).

Really, you could probably enjoy any faction's play style once you get used to it. Above all I say go with whichever faction you think is the most interesting. You don't want to be sat modelling an army of things you're not very interested in.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
TheRightToArmBears said:
I roll, Eldar, mutha' fucka'!
Eldar take a bit more getting used to and you need to have an actual plan, because otherwise you get pinned down and raped. Each unit is fairly specific and I struggle a lot of if one key unit gets taken out, so it's easy to have a bad day.

That said, if you get the hang of Eldar tactics, you can munch most other armies, because you've got something to deal with everything.
You ever played with the jetbike Seer Council (of Doom) list? They were properly nasty back in 4th Ed.

They're still nasty these days, but lack the numbers unfortunately.