Warner Bros Courting Ben Affleck to Direct Justice League

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Warner Bros Courting Ben Affleck to Direct Justice League

The director of The Town and Gone, Baby, Gone may take on DC's premiere superhero team.

Amidst all the fuss over <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118930-Joss-Whedon-Signs-on-for-Avengers-2-Marvel-TV-Series>Marvel Studio's incredibly succesful superhero franchise, it's important to note that Warner Bros. is planning its own superhero movies outside of the traditionally popular Batman and Superman franchises. The film production company is already gearing up for its own multi-hero blockbuster in the form of a Justice League movie planned for 2015, but a director and cast are still needed before the project can move forward. Warner Bros. is already on the hunt, having approached actor and director Ben Affleck in the hopes that he will bring to DC superheroes what directors like Joss Whedon have done for Marvel.

The news that Affleck might be involved in DC's most important superhero project since The Dark Knight may be horrifying to some, considering Affleck's previous forray into superhero territory with Daredevil. The movie was a critical flop that stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the more successful X-Men 2, which came out the same year. As an actor, Affleck's performances have ranged wildly from critically acclaimed performances in films like Good Will Hunting, to projects most try to forget ever happened like in Gigli.

But before we give up all hope, remember that when it comes to directing, Ben Affleck has a very impressive track record. Gone, Baby, Gone and The Town were adaptations of crime novels that both received critical accolades, with The Town in particular proving he could pull off visually impressive action scenes. If he can make the transition from adapting gritty, Boston-based crime stories to larger-than-life heroics, Affleck could prove a very capable director for Warner Bros.

It's entirely possible that Affleck might not be able to take on the project, since his involvement would likely take him out of circulation as a director for at least a few years. Affleck has also been offered the chance to direct a movie version of Stephen King's The Stand. If he accepts, Warner Bros. won't be able to wait for him without pushing its release date past 2015, the same period in which Avengers 2 is expected to hit theaters. Either way, if Warner Bros. hopes to compete with the blockbuster success that is Marvel Studios, it will have to make some important decisions very soon.

Source: <a href=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057612?refCatId=13>Variety, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/08/ben-affleck-may-direct-co-star-in-jla-movie>IGN
Image: <a href=http://people.zap2it.com/p/ben-affleck/7530>Zap2it

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Point of order: If a Justice League movie is in the works, is it gonna be the latest Batman stepping up to the plate?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Being a DC fan and being constantly disappointed. I just have no hope.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Could DC not just sell their movie rights to Marvel Studio's? They have proven that they can make good super hero movies like noboday else before them while DC have proven all they can do well is a very loose verson of Batman.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
It could be an interesting indicator of tone that they'd think of Ben Affleck. Gone Baby Gone is a visually striking, fantastic film but it certainly isn't what I'd associate with a superhero team up movie. I figured they'd pitch Justice League a bit lighter in tone than Nolan's Batman, but perhaps they want it to strike that same feel.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*HOOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRRRRF!!!*

Ack...bleh...excuse me, just threw up the burrito I had for dinner. Someone please explain to me how Ben Affleck keeps finding work in Hollywood? Good Will Hunting was a LONG time ago....

One of my favorite South Park lines ever:
*during the episode featuring a couple that have actual butts instead of faces, Ben Affleck is shown for the first time in the episode sitting in a limo* Ben, to himself: "I'm Ben Affleck and I have no talent."

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I guess im still the only guy who kind of liked DareDevil... oh well...

*Looks at Electra*

Eeeeerrreeeggghhh...

*Shudders*

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
FelixG said:
A wonderwoman movie MIGHT be good.
They already tried to make a TV show and it bombed harder than Hiroshima. Didn't even get passed the pilot.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
All Warners need to do is give Joss Whedon enough monies to abandon Avengers 2 and direct Justice League instead, and that'll make DC a success and cripple Marvel!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
What I'm choosing to take from this article is that Affleck will be directing a movie version of The Stand. M O O N that spells not going to work in such a short format. Trilogy perhaps.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
if he can direct that is well and great if he gets someone competent to write the script, that seems to be the thing here, someone that gets the characters and gets the world and gets that people know these characters we do not need any explanation of who superman, batman, wonder woman, green lantern the flash, is, maybe martian manhunter would need some if any.

nolans batman is our anyway, bale is done wo nolan, lest he has said so in the past, good riddence i say he was a horrible batman period. nolans batman is not any kind of batman, he is just a guy that puts on a suit when he feels like it.

Reboot the characters as necessary, set the JL in its own universe, heck mabe even do like that one animated movie set in the 1950s with the younger batman, superman etc, where they dont really know each other too well but have to work together.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
They have 2 of the big 3 pretty well established... Superman has had his ups and downs but everyone knows him. Batman is a lock. Wonder Woman, however, hasn't even been spoken of.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
What??? I mean I liked Gone Baby Gone and The Town, but Affleck was not even on my rader of possible directors who'd be good for taking up an ensamble superhero movie.