Warner Bros. is Looking to Bring Back The Matrix - Updated

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Worst thing the Wachowskis did was make a franchise out the first film. The first film was as close to perfect as a sci fi action thriller gets. Had a nice ending where the resolution one way or another could be left open to interpretation. then they ruined it with boring as fuck tedious sequels.

A reboot is not going to make that any better. I prefer to pretend there were never any sequels. I'll also pretend there was no reboot.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Hawki said:
The Matrix Rebooted?

The Matrix Relaunched?

The Matrix Revisited?

The Matrix Recollections?
The Matrix Regurgitated.

As far as I'm concerned, The Matrix still holds up pretty well and this potential reboot is unnecessary [....] What are your thoughts?
Thank you for asking, Marter! I think The Matrix (the original) holds up pretty well. The sequels were terrible when they were released and have aged badly. I agree that a reboot isn't necessary, but a retcon is. Let's collectively agree that Reloaded and Revolutions never happened and see what we can make from that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
but those screens in the background show versions of Neo reacting -in different ways- to how the real one is. Are they predictions the machine is making on how Neo will react? Are they past recordings of Neo because he himself is a construct of the Matrix and not a real person (also explaining why he might be able to control Sentinels in the third one)?
Well it can't be the latter, considering that the old man says this is only the 6th iteration of the Matrix, and there's obviously more than 6 tvs in that room. Seeing as how a big part of Old Man Exposition's speech is about how predictable humans are, those screens are showing all the possible reactions Neo could have to being told what he's been told.

I don't even mind that everything the Architect says is bullshit, because of course everything the avatar of a programme thats part of a hyper-advanced computer system says is going to sound nonsensical to us because we don't have the vocabulary to understand anything its saying.
Make up any excuse you like, but in the end it's still an excuse. It just enables some guy to babble on with a bunch of stuff to sound deep and philosophical when all he's really doing is spouting bullshit. It's the same as a fool using big words without knowing their actual meaning in an attempt to sound like an intellectual. When called out on it, they just say "Well clearly you're just too simple to understand the complexity of what I'm talking about."

The Architect might as well have been a hippy that was stoned out of his mind while trying to explain the nature of existence to Neo. :^)

Quite simply: if your movie is meant to have a message - or at least promote meaningful thought in the audience - then it helps if your audience can understand what the hell's being talked about so they can apply their perspective to it, thus enabling them to actually think about/consider what's being said. If you just fill their head with a bunch of philosophical white-noise then there's absolutely no point to it. It becomes nothing but filler.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I really liked the original Matrix. The stunts, camerawork, and effects were well done; revolutionary for their time, inspiring countless knock-offs. And for better or worse, the "black sunglasses, leather, vinyl, and latex" thing had a significant impact on both real-world fashion and action movie visual aesthetics of the decade.

But what still really stands out for me, more than anything else, is the scene in which a pre-redpill Neo is advised by Morpheus to escape capture by edging his way along the outside of his office building, many stories up...

...And he can't do it. He allows himself to be captured, because the threat of real-world authorities bringing him in for questioning is less terrifying than facing death from falling.

And that's a perfectly reasonable reaction. And I don't know that I've ever seen anything comparable in any other action movie. You see lots of supposedly "Average Joe/Jill" types facing down danger to prove themselves in a moment of crisis. You see tons of shallow characters going out of their way to act unreasonably to keep the plot marching on, to provide irritating artificial tension, or because they've been set up as "that guy [usually in authority] who is always wrong". How many "people do stupidly 'brave' things to put themselves in peril and then freeze up when that peril (*gasp*) actually shows up" can you count in the Jurassic Park movies alone?!

So, yeah. Real soft spot in my heart for the original Matrix.

And then they had to go and make it a trilogy. And do a spinoff series of animation shorts. And at least three video games. All in service of this world that... Just... doesn't really make any sense, if you actually bother to look at it for about five minutes. These movies contain more "fridge logic" than a philosophy class held in a meat locker, and unlike some action movies that keep things moving fast enough that you blow past an unlikelihood or two and forgive it, it really wants to hold your face to the ridiculousness of parts of its premise, to make sure you appreciate its "world-building", to make the point that it isn't really about gunfights or special effects or choreography: it's about destructive cycles, about how machines and people aren't really that different, about mutual exploitation and mythological themes.

...And good God, you should never go as far up your own rear end as The Matrix Trilogy does without a team of colo-rectal surgeons.

So to (eventually, in my typically long-winded way) make a long story short: Yes! I'm sure Warner Bros. WOULD like to make several hundred million dollars on a movie franchise again! Especially given how.... "mixed"... the reactions have been to their DC superhero entries!

But given that the architects of this particular cash-cow managed to totally screw it up, I have absolutely no reason to believe a reboot won't be even worse.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Then there was all the pseudo-philosophical bullshit in the TV room, but I won't bother getting into that because it's all a buncha bullshit. As for the 3rd movie, it was a DBZ fight and a "Yes, Neo truly is Jesus. Just look at his Jesus pose!" shot.
"Pseudo-philosophical bullshit"? Y'mean a modicum of depth and actual ideas being explored?

The trilogy was never exactly uber highbrow, but as another forum member alludes to, the original film was ostensibly just an introduction to the world and concepts. Only in two and three do things start to get interesting and thought provoking. For me The Matrix only sets up the more interesting arcs and ideas (I always find the end of the first film incredibly unsatisfying and kindof annoying, frankly - it's a half-arsed resolution, and incredibly smug... ).

I just get the sneaking suspicion that Nemoinis really doesn't care. :p
Which is very revealing as to their character.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
Transsexuals do not. I don't want these people to be hurt or given shock treatment, but they need to see therapists before they mutilate their bodies. And if these people cannot bear to be called "he" when they prefered to be called "she," they how exactly are they going to deal with getting their bits hacked off?
Surely, you must love seeing someone depressed to the point of suicide. You don't wanna know the hell I've been through. And that annoying double standard of yours pretty much pisses me off.

I'll hammer on it once again: you really need to learn to respect trans people more. If anything, there are quite a few who will go through sexual reassingment surgery to make the mind match up with the body as much as it can be done. I know I will, because what I have between my legs certainely isn't making me happy.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
The Matrix would honestly benefit from a reboot or better yet a reimagining than a sequel or prequel. For all the goodness the trilogies brought us, some of the things in that world were a bit poorly thought out (using humans as batteries comes to mind).

The biggest and most irreplaceable part of the Matrix movie is the Matrix itself, a virtual reality simulation. Everything else can be changed, including the real world of the Matrix.

So I hope if WB is planing to bring back this series that they just reimagine the whole series, the trilogy already brought the story of Neo to a close, now you could start something new.

Apr 17, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
How am I being a dick? If the sky is blue and you believe the sky is orange, how am I being an asshole for pointing out a fact? Anyone can hold whatever thoughts and feelings they want, but those things cannot change scientific facts. If they were able to change themselves genetically and internally, then I would believe them. Similarly, Shaun King and Rachel Dolezal can claim to be black all they want, but it doesn't change the fact they're white, no matter how many times they get fake tans. I'm sorry if you probably don't believe the Earth is round or that the planet is heating up, but those are facts too. And by the way, nice how quickly you went for a personal attack. Stay classy.
Flawed analogy, as not only does it not fit in any way but the sky can be orange on occasion. Its more like you've got a pie, and you're looking at it and declaring it to be a delicious apple pie because it looks like every apple pie you've ever seen...but the person who put the filling in knows its (gasp!) rhubarb. You can peer at the crust all you like but thats not going to change it from rhubarb.
Oh, and you notice how you call me out for launching a personal attack on you mere moments after you launch a personal attack on me? You get whiplash from that hypocrisy?

RJ 17 said:
Make up any excuse you like, but in the end it's still an excuse. It just enables some guy to babble on with a bunch of stuff to sound deep and philosophical when all he's really doing is spouting bullshit. It's the same as a fool using big words without knowing their actual meaning in an attempt to sound like an intellectual. When called out on it, they just say "Well clearly you're just too simple to understand the complexity of what I'm talking about."

The Architect might as well have been a hippy that was stoned out of his mind while trying to explain the nature of existence to Neo. :^)

Quite simply: if your movie is meant to have a message - or at least promote meaningful thought in the audience - then it helps if your audience can understand what the hell's being talked about so they can apply their perspective to it, thus enabling them to actually think about/consider what's being said. If you just fill their head with a bunch of philosophical white-noise then there's absolutely no point to it. It becomes nothing but filler.
Oh I agree that everything he's saying is the finest of manure...but its what I was expecting to see in the first film. I was promised that something that at the very least pretended to be deep...but all I got was Laurence Fishburne quoting Alice in Wonderland with every other line. When the Architect shows up and he's like someone combined both Jeffrey Lebowskis into one my reaction was "Well finally!"

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Transsexuals do not. I don't want these people to be hurt or given shock treatment, but they need to see therapists before they mutilate their bodies. And if these people cannot bear to be called "he" when they prefered to be called "she," they how exactly are they going to deal with getting their bits hacked off?
Surely, you must love seeing someone depressed to the point of suicide. You don't wanna know the hell I've been through. And that annoying double standard of yours pretty much pisses me off.

I'll hammer on it once again: you really need to learn to respect trans people more. If anything, there are quite a few who will go through sexual reassingment surgery to make the mind match up with the body as much as it can be done. I know I will, because what I have between my legs certainely isn't making me happy.
Already said I bear them no ill will. And once again, we have feelings versus facts. You're not refuting my logic in any way, merely stating that I need to get with the program and say all the right platitudes. We can continue going round and round, but we won't get anywhere because this is still a topic on which whoever has the most hurt feelings, wins. Ultimately, until society is willing to face facts and try to help people rather than indulge them, you're free to do whatever you want with yourself. And if you can get most people to call you whatever you want, dandy. But if this continues, at what point does it stop? For those who don't go all the way and get the surgery, does just saying they think they're male or female make them so? Are we going to start changing people's official ages because while they've lived sixty years, they only feel forty? Fundamentally, how is that different? And then who are you to say they're not? If you think this is just a slippery slope fallacy, then think back to fifty years ago when this entire topic would have sounded as strange then as people changing their age to what they feel now.

This isn't just about this one issue, it's about a society understanding that certain things are immutable, and provably so. You can say whatever you like and try to reason it out, but two plus two will always equal four. It's just the way it is. I'd say I look forward to hearing a refutation of my reasoning, but I know I won't get one. Guess I'm just yet another 'phobe' who hates people for no reason, right? I already indirectly caused a couple suspencions, so I think I'll bounce out of this thread before I do any more damage. Everyone, feel free to dogpile now.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Marter said:
Squilookle said:
How do you figure that, if he literally said himself that his involvement depends on the Wachowskis being in charge?
Because coercing someone into a cameo is a lot easier of a process than convincing them to star.
Pre-John Wick I'd have agreed with you, but given the success Keanu has found with his latest two action films, I don't think they could coerce him in to even a cameo appearance. He frankly doesn't need WB anymore.

Not to say he won't make a cameo, but I feel like if he does, it'd be for the fans, not because of anything WB would do.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
LysanderNemoinis said:
Already said I bear them no ill will.
You are promoting damaging misinformation about one of the most frequently hate-murdered populations, despite the easy availability of a wide variety of resources with which you could potentially educate yourself on the subject. You have displayed a lack of awareness of even the most basic facts available on Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual#Causes.2C_studies.2C_and_theories] (e.g. detectable biological bases of gender dysphoria). You don't know what you're talking about, yet you are clearly interested in talking about it and not reading about it. Your arguments make no sense in light of established facts; I'm sure you could formulate new reasons to cling to your beliefs, but the fact is that you haven't even done that. Is there an important distinction between destructive willful ignorance and outright malice?

LysanderNemoinis said:
This isn't just about this one issue, it's about a society understanding that certain things are immutable, and provably so.
Pronouns are easily "mutable" by us. Biology mutates in a vast variety of ways that do not fit so easily into our two little boxes. There is little reason to make people suffer over pronouns.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Poetic Nova said:
I'll stick to the original triology. They never needed a reboot or a continuation. The Animatrix already gave more backstory to the triology, and is actually good. So what they're planning now is pretty redundant.

LysanderNemoinis said:
Wachowski brothers
Sisters. Not that hard.
No, brothers. Genetics aren't hard either. Quite straightforward, actually.
Ah, so you're not misinformed. You're just a dick. Gotcha
How am I being a dick? If the sky is blue and you believe the sky is orange, how am I being an asshole for pointing out a fact? Anyone can hold whatever thoughts and feelings they want, but those things cannot change scientific facts. If they were able to change themselves genetically and internally, then I would believe them. Similarly, Shaun King and Rachel Dolezal can claim to be black all they want, but it doesn't change the fact they're white, no matter how many times they get fake tans. I'm sorry if you probably don't believe the Earth is round or that the planet is heating up, but those are facts too. And by the way, nice how quickly you went for a personal attack. Stay classy.
I wonder how you would like people telling you what you are when it is not how you view yourself?

Do not criticize personal attacks when you are personally attacking all transgendered people by telling us what we are.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Darth Rosenberg said:
Honestly I didn't think it was that great a film series the first time around (I'm a complete weirdo who thinks the second one is actually the best), though it obviously made that dollar y'all so I can se why they want it back I do, generally speaking, think the first's the best in terms of at least having the most focus, but I personally reject the 'the sequels were shite' assessment, and see all three as necessary parts to tell Neo's and Smith's stories. To me it's like some sprawling three act narrative, and the original would feel so lackluster, simplistic, and anticlimactic on its lonesome.
I'm of the opinion that the trilogy is a case of an excellent first movie, followed by a good second movie, followed by an average third movie.

That said, I don't think the original absolutely needed a sequel. The sequels are an overall net positive, but the original is quite self-contained. Open ended arguably, but it didn't demand continuation.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
The Matrix is that kind of movie that just can't be recreated. If they make a new one I just hope it will look completely different and feature all new characters, no cameos or Keanu Reeves as some kind of Morpheus 2.0.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I'm okay with this. Been almost 20 years, that franchise could use some new life to it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Might be interested if they just admitted the whole "Human batteries" thing was BS instead of trying to squirm their way around it when called on it in Reloaded(or was it Revolutions?).

Especially since the Animatrix more or less lays out the Machines never wanted to fight in the first place and the whole point of the Matrix could easily be construed as "Saving our species until the earth recovers enough to support human life again". But apparently "Batteries" made more sense to someone.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Marter said:
Squilookle said:
How do you figure that, if he literally said himself that his involvement depends on the Wachowskis being in charge?
Because coercing someone into a cameo is a lot easier of a process than convincing them to star.
Cameo. Starring role. They all fall under 'involvement', wouldn't you say?