Warner Bros. Officially Greenlights Live-Action Akira

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
BlackWidower said:
All I have to say is ever since the rumor came out of a live-action Evangelion with Elijah Wood as Shinji, I have just shut out everything that has to do with anime movie remakes.
I missed that rumor. When exactly did anyone connect Wood to the Evangelion movie?
It was about 9 months ago. It was disproven, but still made me sad.
So...you're automatically biased against live-action adaptations of anime because some prick somewhere made up that Shinji would be played by Frodo?

No offence, but that's pretty stupid.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It's weird because I think all the original Akira fans are old like me. This wasn't surprising when I was hearing the first whisperings of it 10 years ago but at this point you'd think they would be trying to do live action versions of anime that kids were watching 10 years ago as those guys are the young hipsters now. Things like Pokemon and... well, everything with a "mon" at the end.

I'm just surprised there hasn't been some nutjob trying to make a feature length anime film out of something like Mighty Morphine Power Rangers or something else that should've probably been animated to begin with.

I just hope that this Akira thing is still going to be based on the manga and not some watered down version of the existing movie.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
BlackWidower said:
BlackWidower said:
All I have to say is ever since the rumor came out of a live-action Evangelion with Elijah Wood as Shinji, I have just shut out everything that has to do with anime movie remakes.
I missed that rumor. When exactly did anyone connect Wood to the Evangelion movie?
So...you're automatically biased against live-action adaptations of anime because some prick somewhere made up that Shinji would be played by Frodo?

No, I'm biased against live-action remakes because I saw Legend of Chun Li, Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and especially Blood: The Last Vampire, and I died inside.

There has not been a successful American live remake of an Anime in the history of either. Why should now be any different?
...because they have the right team on board, because they learned from their mistakes, because Avatar: the Last Airbender was an American show, and because Blood: The Last Vampire was a British/French/Hong Kongian movie.

Millardo

Sep 28, 2010
Great, a spastic 80's distopian future gore-toon made into a live action movie. The main reason this will fail is that it's going to lack the passion and understanding of those who made it originally. Theres a reason that half thought out comic to live action movies bomb: Theyre quick cash-ins. I never understood the attraction to Akira when I watched it, but I can understand the rage at it being horribly maimed on the big screen.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Aaahhggg......burn it with fire !!!!

Oh came on, don't rape my childhood and let's just forget this thing !

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Kitsuna10060 said:
but, then this question is blaring at 50 in my head 'why the fuck is this over rated bore feast getting a live action remake?! WHO, thought this was even REMOTELY a good idea?! are they fired yet -.- cause they should be'
This is kind of it for me.

Without trying to sound too dickish about it, I did watch Akira roughly four years ago, when I REALLY went though an Anime Phase. My first thoughts after finishing watching it however were along the lines of:

"...What just happened?"

The original Akira I recall being incredibly incomprehensable, with some things never ever being explained at all during the run. Who were the little Cabbage Patch Kids for example? I was told later the Manga explained it better, however I've not picked up the Akira manga at all since. All I vaguely remember about the movie is (to use some comments from the lovely facebook page) -

"TEEEEETTTSSSUUUUOOOOO!"

"KAANEEEEDAAAAAAAAAA!"

"SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!"

...And that's pretty much it. However, the indisputable facts is that it was one of the major players of the Anime stage - other works like Robotech from the same era (love it or hate it) had a similair role in generating some interest.

Anyways, I'm dragging. My main argument is this - it's going to be changed. It HAS to be changed for a western audiance. Akira is a very difficult Anime for people to get into, and as I can atest, not a first watch for an Anime Fan of any type. They're going to have to change things to make it more mainstream and accessable. The problem is as Dragonball Evolution proved, your likely to end up with so much cut and changed it barely resembles it's source material even before the pointless edits.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
OHNOES! The...

wait just kidding haha I don't actually have any investment in this...will ask my anime-loving friend what he thinks about it

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
"It pushed Japanese animation into the eyes of the world, helped pretty much push the even notion of an adult cartoon aimed at adults that made the Simpsons, Futurama, and South Park even possible."

No, no, no, no, no. This statement is 1000 different shades of wrong. Cartoons aimed at adults are as old as cartoons themselves. If you want a much closer forerunner of the Simpsons, look up "Wait till Your Father Gets Home" on YouTube. It was a popular cartoon from the early 70s and is one of many adult-oriented, tv network cartoons from the last century.

BonGookKumBop

Feb 24, 2010
Benjamin Zeledon said:
It is one of the most quotable and visibly striking films of the last 25 years.
OK, it's been a decade since I saw that movie and it was one of the first animes I ever saw. I saw it because it was so highly recommended, but the only lines I can remember from that film well enough to quote are from the end.

"Tetsuo!!" [pew pew] "Keneda!!" [pew pew] "Tetsuo!!" [pew pew] "Keneda!!" [pew pew] (repeat for ten minutes)

I wouldn't exactly consider that quotable. That whole scene was just a little weird. I get the whole "You're my friend and I care for you; that's why I have to kill you. This power is too great for anyone to have and it's destroying you; that's why you have to die." message, but that doesn't make it less weird. Besides, even though that was the goal, it's not how it actually ended. It's like a cyber punk version of "Old Yeller" where the rabies makes Yeller immune to bullets but eventually just causes his body to disintegrate.

dickywebster said:
But really, go and look back at the list of american remakes of foreign films and the majority are worse than the original.
There's always "Fist Full of Dollars." I read somewhere that Kurosawa made more off of his lawsuit than he did from Yojimbo. Not that I think it will happen here; I'm just saying that it has happened before.

Viking Incognito

Master Headsplitter
Nov 8, 2009
I've never seen Akira, but thanks to the Facebook comments under the column I have now learned that all of the Ronin motorcycles from Saints Row 2 are named after characters from this. So...I would gather it has a lot to do with motorcycles?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Sir Shockwave said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
but, then this question is blaring at 50 in my head 'why the fuck is this over rated bore feast getting a live action remake?! WHO, thought this was even REMOTELY a good idea?! are they fired yet -.- cause they should be'
This is kind of it for me.

Without trying to sound too dickish about it, I did watch Akira roughly four years ago, when I REALLY went though an Anime Phase. My first thoughts after finishing watching it however were along the lines of:

"...What just happened?"

The original Akira I recall being incredibly incomprehensable, with some things never ever being explained at all during the run. Who were the little Cabbage Patch Kids for example? I was told later the Manga explained it better, however I've not picked up the Akira manga at all since. All I vaguely remember about the movie is (to use some comments from the lovely facebook page) -

"TEEEEETTTSSSUUUUOOOOO!"

"KAANEEEEDAAAAAAAAAA!"

"SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!"

...And that's pretty much it. However, the indisputable facts is that it was one of the major players of the Anime stage - other works like Robotech from the same era (love it or hate it) had a similair role in generating some interest.
i hear you loud and clear good buddy, and as incomprehensible as it was, for me, it was not enjoyable, and by the end i just didn't care enough to try and figure it all it, cause i didn't really like anyone in it.

Anyways, I'm dragging. My main argument is this - it's going to be changed. It HAS to be changed for a western audiance. Akira is a very difficult Anime for people to get into, and as I can atest, not a first watch for an Anime Fan of any type. They're going to have to change things to make it more mainstream and accessable. The problem is as Dragonball Evolution proved, your likely to end up with so much cut and changed it barely resembles it's source material even before the pointless edits.
hopefully it'll be easier to fallow, if nothing else

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
BlackWidower said:
BlackWidower said:
BlackWidower said:

No, I'm biased against live-action remakes because I saw Legend of Chun Li, Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender, and especially Blood: The Last Vampire, and I died inside.

There has not been a successful American live remake of an Anime in the history of either. Why should now be any different?
...because they have the right team on board, because they learned from their mistakes, because Avatar: the Last Airbender was an American show, and because Blood: The Last Vampire was a British/French/Hong Kongian movie.
Doesn't change the fact that all listed were animes (except Avatar which falls under Americanime, an awful place to be) and all of them were nominated for worst movie of the year. Hell, Dragonball won a Razzie.

You can't take 26 episodes of deep, thoughtful commentary and make it a movie, and you can't take the themes and ideas of Akira and port them over here everything changed. It doesn't work, it can't work, and it won't work.
What about Lion King a remake of Kiba the white loin, you cant forget the Power Ranger show s either or Ring a remake of Ringu and a lot of westerns are Americanized version of samurai films, also I happened to like the American Speed Racer and Street Fighter movies, at the very least they're better then the original animes. Hollywood has done good remakes of Japanese movies in the past, I'm not gonna count on it being good but it still has a chance.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Here's a better idea, since everything needs to be 3D these days, just release the original film in 3D for the new generation like they did for the Lion King. Sure it will be all for the money but it's a far better idea than this BS.