Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
There's no reason why DC can't make a good sequel to this piece of shit.

For one thing there have been 4 different human green lanterns. You could continue the franchise while forgetting Ryan Reynolds and everything that happened in the first movie. Make it about John Stewart!

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I really don't get it. I liked the movie. I don't see what was so bad.

EDIT: I'm assuming the backlash is coming from the movie being very different from the original story (which I never got the chance to read.)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
RandallJohn said:
I really don't get it. I liked the movie. I don't see what was so bad.

EDIT: I'm assuming the backlash is coming from the movie being very different from the original story (which I never got the chance to read.)
It wasn't that, I can deal with different stories for the purposes of a 2 hour movie for time constraints and what not, it's just that the movie itself was bad, even just as a stand alone movie. Ryan Reynolds doesn't fit the setting, the CGI was awful, the cinematography and script were sub par and the story flits about schizophrenically, due to it being the bastard child of loads of different scripts. It's been panned by all critics pretty much, and it's safe to assume a lot of them don't have any back story or prior interest in Green Lantern.

Read Moviebobs fanboi free review for the details.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Not G. Ivingname said:
Moviebob predicted this in his last "mail" episode, we should take this with a grain of salt.
+1

Hollywood is nothing but a spin machine and admitting defeat like when Joel Schumacher apologized for Batman and Robin, is rare and usually happens many years later.

But then, Fantastic Four still got a sequel.

Dungeons & Dragons got a sequel. Direct to DVD and kind of swept the entire first movie under the rug, but it's a sequel nevertheless.

So there may yet be a Green Lantern 2.

There might be a Green Lantern reboot.

They might make a movie about the Inferior Five.

That would be eight different kinds of awesome.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Dear Warner Bros.

If you have money to burn then please give me some. I'd settle for $1 million.

Thanks

Aaron

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
the antithesis said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Moviebob predicted this in his last "mail" episode, we should take this with a grain of salt.
+1

Hollywood is nothing but a spin machine and admitting defeat like when Joel Schumacher apologized for Batman and Robin, is rare and usually happens many years later.

Dungeons & Dragons got a sequel. Direct to DVD and kind of swept the entire first movie under the rug, but it's a sequel nevertheless.

So THATs where Merryman originates :p Nice to see them sticking him in Final Crisis where he was actually quite an important character

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Given that it so far has failed to break even at the box office even disregarding the marketing costs, I agree with the MovieBob theory that this will get stuck in development hell on purpose.

Because there is no reason this film needs to exist, and people don't start liking crap just cause you shove it down their throats three more times!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
the antithesis said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
+1

Actually, that would be highly appropriate. The super hero genre has been over done, it isn't making the same money and isn't as good as it once was (this film really shows that).

THAT DOESN'T COUNT.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Not seen the film yet, but knowing me i'll like it. I'm easily amused.

That said i wont see it in cinema, i'll wait till the DVD release...

Roll Out the 29th of June! (seewhatididthere?)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I genuinely liked the film and enjoyed myself at the theatre even if everyone else hated it. Nuff Said.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
This is not a bad thing. Punisher and Hulk got sequels that were much better movies and both recast the heroes with better actors. This sounds like a potentially good thing to me.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I wonder... will Green Lantern become MovieBob's Duke Nukem Forever? When Yahtzee was so sure of himself that it would never be released, then lo and behold, it was. If a second Green Lantern does indeed get the green light, MovieBob will be as humbled as Yahtzee was!

I wouldn't be surprised if this became the case. The universe tends to have an overwhelming sense of irony.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Ah hell, I'd see it. The first had its share of major problems, but I'm glad I saw it (specifically glad I saw it at half price).

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
1. at least while they are working on it they aren't working on a Daredevil sequel

2. OMG Sweet Lord CTHULU PLEASE make a good movie out of this:

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Aw, I understand that WB needs a new franchise to screw over but why do theys have to do this to Hal Jordan?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I completely disagree with opening line of this article. No one said it was a bad idea, it was just a bad film. I saw it, and it broke so many story telling rules it wasn't funny. I want to see a good GL movie. It's a fantastic franchise and one of the best books (historically speaking) DC has. Make a good one.

The director credits are sporadic at best. Some great movies mixed some horrible movies. One of the two main Screenplay writers had some decent credits, while the other has some not so good credits... including the in production "Clash of the Titans 2" (ugh, they ruined that movie). Put some people in here that know what they are doing and you can have a good movie.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Remember when Batman Forever came out? I'm sure many people who saw that in theaters were just as convinced that there wouldn't be another Tim Burton produced Batman only to be greeted by Batman and Robin.

I'm sure there will be another Green Lantern but I'm hoping the next one will be done by a completely different team. That may help: just torch what they set up and try again from scratch just like they did from Batman and Robin to Batman Begins.