Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
I want a sequel so they can address the cavalcade of problems with this first one. I really enjoyed it, but this isn't the sort of thing you streamline. They'll likely be dealing with Sinestro's "fall to the dark side", and given the cosmic aesthetic of the whole property, they need to bring in a sterling writer and bump it up to a 2.5 hour running time. Strike a proper balance between the practical effects and the CGI (personal opinion: keep the CG outfits, but give the actors physical gloves, collars, and masks). The concept behind being "realistic" needs to be applied to the characters' mindsets - ask WHAT they would do and WHY they would do it.

A comic book movie doesn't have to be gritty and superpower-less to be an epic.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
1. at least while they are working on it they aren't working on a Daredevil sequel

2. OMG Sweet Lord CTHULU PLEASE make a good movie out of this:

Come to think of it almost all of Warren Ellis' stuff would make good movies.[/QUOTE]

It won't make a good movie. It's too epic to be made on the cheap, and it's too dark to appeal to the masses. That's a shame, because it is such a great comic.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Just one more than for Movie bob be wrong about. First off ...the movie hasn't received it's full run since it's not actually been released worldwide. Secondly it wasn't remotely as bad as he made it out to be.Thirdly, this film has entirely too much competation for action/comic book films out as it's over laping 3 movie films. I think that probably has a bigger reason for it having less than stellar box office than critics(Xmen first class hasn't been raking in crazy money either, and it's a solid film.), as they won't phase how much money Dark of the moon is going bring in. Let's wait till this movies been released on DVD and gone thru it's paces before we chalk it up to a huge failure. I mean waterworld made it's money back worldwide heh.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Man...to refer to their own movie as a fanboy pic...

Ever since scott pilgrim everybody thinks that they're a fanboy pic regardless of how close they hit to home

Granted, nobody can really afford to "get it right" without alienating the non-nerd crowd, but still

You'd hope that some day they can once again make a movie that has appeal on its own merits instead of pandering to any particular group

If they repeat their mistakes it will probably ruin their careers in the sense that they'll be stuck with the sci fi channel, heheheh

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
Look at that, it really is Fantastic Four bad. Crappy first movie, and I assume a evedn worse sequel. But hey, I hope Im wrong and I hope the next one is better.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wait, isn't this exactly what Bob said would happen?

I'm still not holding my breath on this one.
That's his prediction. My prediction is that there's still enough movie on the floor to try to force another GL movie.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Remember when Batman Forever came out? I'm sure many people who saw that in theaters were just as convinced that there wouldn't be another Tim Burton produced Batman only to be greeted by Batman and Robin.
I remember my 9 year old self being thoroughly entertained with Batman Forever. Looking back now, I was kind of an idiot.

OT: GL looks truly terrible but Transformers also looked/was/is truly terrible and that's on film 3 now. My guess is the sequel will live and die on whether or not the film makes money on DVD.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
I actually enjoyed the movie. Sure it had it's flaws but I was still entertained. I rather liked Sinestro in it. So I'll be looking forward to the sequel.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Electric Alpaca said:
I assumed that Nolan's Batman trilogy was ending, but he was seeding "sequels" in the same vein but with different mains.

Catwoman is being placed into his film, so that's a spin off that's viable - with Robin being introduced in a runalong with the Dark Knight Rises could be very good. Like an observer and silent helper.

Seems a shame to burn the franchise when clearly the dark theme fits perfectly, and plenty of villains still not used. Dr. Freeze and Poison Ivy I'm very keen to see.
I haven't been paying close attention to the news for The Dark Knight Rises, but last I knew Nolan had very specific methods of doing his Batman movies; He stated that as long as he was doing them Robin would never appear as a main or secondary character. I've also assumed that Nolan's Batman adaptations were always on the more "realistic" side of the comics; Namely, that he wouldn't use ..."supernatural", for lack of a better word, enemies such as Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy. Ra's al Ghul was technically "immortal" in the comics and sure, Scarecrow has the ability to make people insane but he's crafted them into "real" characters.

Besides, the last Batman movie that had those two enemies was "Batman & Robin" and while I personally like it (being something around the age of eight when I first saw it) even I admit that it was a terrible adaptation of a comic book hero. I don't doubt that if anyone could pull them off well it would be Nolan, but I can't expect he'd do that even if he did happen to continue making Batman films. The easiest way to "jump the shark" is to not let a franchise die when it should have (See: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Final Fantasy, The Simpsons, the Batman films from the 80's-90's, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.), and that's the last thing Nolan would want to do I think.

Oh wait, this thread was about Green Lantern? Sorry.

EDIT:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Erm... since when did a film's domestic takings dictate its entire box office revenue? This is what I hate about the Domestic Box Office/International Box Office divide. For instance, King Kong (the Peter Jackson one) took in over $500 million in total at the Box Office. Yet because domestic (ie- American) ticket sales were less than spectacular, loads of people wrote it off as a flop. America is but one part of the moviegoing world, and it would be nice if a film's success wasn't judges solely on American ticket sales.

Regarding Green Lantern... well, the (belated) follow up to Batman and Robin ended up being pretty good. Maybe Warner Bros can use this as a chance to really put some effort in for the next one.
Green Lantern has made barely more than half of its production cost back worldwide. That's not including the marketing cost, either.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Everyone who loved Thor and hated The Green Lantern has absolutely no taste. At least GL had some kind of character development and story. All of those who liked Thor are obviously distracted by shiny objects rather than focusing on actual substance.

Granted, there were some CGI mistakes, but bad CGI doesn't make a movie worthless any more than great CGI doesn't make a movie worth watching (Thor). This movie had everything that should have been in an origin story. They may have tried to put too much into one movie, but at least there was a clear plot arc: bad guy kills original GL, new guy gets ring, new guy learns to use ring, new guy kicks bad guy's ass. Put some character development and a love story in there and you have a good script, which was made into a pretty decent movie.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Advice to Warner Bros.

Cast someone else in Hal Jordan's shoes. Ryan Reynolds is about as Ken-dollish as they come.

Get someone who's actually worked on the comics to write the screenplay, or at least to write it in conjunction with a scriptwriter.

Go for broke in the world-building department and don't worry about alienating the audience! Branagh had the balls to have the first thirty minutes of Thor to take place in SPACE-VALHALLA. A movie does not need to take place in a familiar context in order to coddle and comfort the movie-going masses, who are hungry for anything BUT normalcy.

Also, fuck the CGI suits. Seriously, fuck them.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
This picture...

That picture says a lot. Look at it; he appears to be standing, but he's floating on a solid nothing. His suit looks digitally rendered, and his head copied and pasted on top. If this wasn't so heavily promoted, I'd say it was a bad photoshop job.

They can make another sequel if they want. I still won't be involved in watching it.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Well, I guess it'd be quite ironic if it didn't get the green light. I hope they do make a sequel though, and make it good. I think Green Lantern could make a good film, it just didn't.

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
America is but one part of the moviegoing world, and it would be nice if a film's success wasn't judges solely on American ticket sales.
While it is true that America is one part of the moviegoing world, and it would be great that a film's success be based on a international scale, the reality is that the cinema world as we know it is American run. Take "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" in relation to "Attack the Street" a few months ago. You could find ads for Pirates in England, France, Switzerland and Italy. As far I know it, the only place you can even hear a peep about it is England.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
See I can only think the reason they would fully press-on without blinking is the merchandising profits...though I'm not a kid nor a nut on that department, so I don't know how well merchandised it was.

That said, I would LIKE a Green Lantern film if it was GOOD. That was the fatal flaw with this film, it had nothing to do with the franchise and I wish many producers would pick up on that. Ryan Reynolds isn't even the problem for me. Sure he wasn't good, but, he's alright. Much better than Shia LeBeouf. I reckon it's more the director's fault for not feeding him enough information.

In any case though, just keep it original, back to basics, take notes from other good superhero films and build from that. Heck it's problem might have been that introducing the character was too hard and they just want to get on with it but can't. It might be another Dark Knight for all we know.