Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Warner Bros. [http://www.warnerbros.com/] has been sued by a German technology firm which claims the movie and television production company pirated its anti-piracy technology.

German firm Medien Patent Verwaltung claims that in 2003, it revealed a new kind of anti-piracy technology to Warner Bros. that marks films with specific codes so pirated copies can be traced back to their theaters of origin. But like a great, hilariously-ironic DRM Ouroborus, the company claims that Warner began using the system throughout Europe in 2004 but hasn't actually paid a dime for it.

"We disclosed our anti-piracy technology to Warner Bros. in 2003 at their request, under strict confidentiality, expecting to be treated fairly," the company said in a statement. "Instead, they started using our technology extensively without our permission and without any accounting to us."

Medien Patent Verwaltung originally claimed that Warner was infringing on patent 7,187,633, called "Motion Picture and Anti-Piracy Coding," but as The Hollywood Reporter [http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/warner-bros-sued-for-pirating-antipiracy-technology.html] discovered, the patent going by that particular name actually bears a different number and is held by none other than Warner Bros. MPV's attorney in New York acknowledged the error and said that the suit will be refiled with the proper information.

Which has no bearing on the question at hand: Is Warner Bros. using pirated anti-piracy technology? This one could be fun to watch.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I lack words to express the beauty of the irony behind this... It's... Poetic...

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
BUSTED!

The irony tastes better than pie.. lots of pie.. with blue berries...

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
well thats ironic. more ironic than the time i pirated a movie about pirates

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
joshthor said:
well thats ironic. more ironic than the time i pirated a movie about pirates
Same here. Just ironic isn't it? xD Twats. They go on about piracy and they go pirate themselves.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
This makes me wonder if pirates can sue corporations for using their anti-DRM technology (cracks), in the real versions of games.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Ha ha ha! amusing. What do you say again? A case of the kettle calling the pot black? I forget.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Well, up until I read this I kept a fairly neutral stance on the entire issue. If a corporation is going to pull this bull shit then fuck 'em. Lets all download Warner Bro's movies, we'll call it Warner Day. A day of giving and receiving downloaded movies all from a corporation that can't practice what they preach. If they ain't paying, I ain't paying. It's called karma, *****.

Dan B

Mar 6, 2010
I can't help but feel if the morons in WBros managed to pirate this tech it's about a millionth as effective as the anti-piracy adverts.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Irony, thine loins are sweet and well nurtured.

At least, WB certainly thinks so :eek: