WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Well, time to move. Where's a good place?

*looks at the EU*
eh, nope.

*looks to Australia*
No R18 rating? Nope.

*Looks at Africa, Asia, South America*

Well, fu-

*Looks to Canada*
There's an idea...

Seriously though, if this gets put into law, it can officially be said that the US as it was intended has ceased to exist. I know there have been similar laws passed during wars, but the War on Terror is indefinite. It's on going, so this law will stay on the books until it's forcibly taken down. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Did anyone REALLY think SOPA was the biggest threat to our freedom?
Now, combine the ability of the government and corps to censor internet sites for any reason they want without explanation from SOPA. These fuckers are planning something really nasty and these bills are being put in place to take away our ability to organize protests and resistance. These two bills are a direct attempt to found a totalitarian regime.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
White_Lama said:
Your American politicians are crazy.
Tell me about it. Ifthis is a sign of things to come, then I could see an honest case of people wanting to move.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Sexy Devil said:
You'd think Stalin and Hitler both doing that in the past would have tipped them off that it's kind of a totalitarian policy.
Come now, such a comparison is an insult to good old Comrade Stalin.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Wow, without trial, thats extreme! The white House will veto it, hopefully, democrates/whitehouse aren't this extreme, because this is completly batshit on a sandvich crazy. How can the US have authority outside its borders...? No way this can pass... will it?

Apr 28, 2008
I am so thoroughly disgusted by this I don't even have the proper words for it.

Fucking unbelievable.

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
Did any one of You bother to actually check sections 1031 and 1032, or did You all just assume. Oh! It says so on teh internets! Must be true, then!...?

Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."

Under 1032:
"(b) REQUIREMENT INAPPLICABLE TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS.
?The requirement to detain a person in military custody
under this section does not extend to
citizens of the United States."

Source: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s1253rs/pdf/BILLS-112s1253rs.pdf

So, yeah. Goddamn it, I'm not even a citizen of the US. Do Your own research?

~Sylv

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/veto-national-defense-authorization-act-2012-several-provisions-bill-pose-threat-civil-liberties/GLfhBn6D

Here you can sign a petition against it. I recommend everyone do so because we can't allow garbage like this to become law.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Didn't we already have this thread?

Or was that about them being able to imprison citizens indefinitely?

Either way, America, your politicians are, for the lack of a better term, cunts.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Did anyone REALLY think SOPA was the biggest threat to our freedom?
Now, combine the ability of the government and corps to censor internet sites for any reason they want without explanation from SOPA. These fuckers are planning something really nasty and these bills are being put in place to take away our ability to organize protests and resistance. These two bills are a direct attempt to found a totalitarian regime.
One problem for them: the final arbiters of the Constitution. The courts. SOPA may be struck down and this won't last for sure.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

5th Sets out rules for indictment by grand jury and eminent domain, protects the right to due process, and prohibits self-incrimination and double jeopardy September 25, 1789 December 15, 1791
6th Protects the right to a fair and speedy public trial by jury, including the rights to be notified of the accusations, to confront the accuser, to obtain witnesses and to retain counsel

Not to sure if the 5th applies so much. But I'm 99% sure this would violate the 6th.
So, IF, this bill is passed. It's in violation of an amendment thus..... has no, or limiting powers.

This is to what I can figure out. I'm no law man.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ever get the feeling that America should just drop all of its politicians, all its red tape, all its in-progress bills, all its current lawsuits, etc, and just start again?

I'm feeling it quite a bit here.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
welp, even though this is inevitably getting vetoed and shot down by the supreme court, it still shows just how little my county cares about human rights. Another reason for my inevitable move to Canada...

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
If any small part of this gets passed... Wow.

They're gonna have a straight up revolt on their hands. And it would be completely justified. How the fuck can they legitimately think that's a good idea?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Sylvine said:
Did any one of You bother to actually check sections 1031 and 1032, or did You all just assume. Oh! It says so on teh internets! Must be true, then!...?

Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."

Under 1032:
"(b) REQUIREMENT INAPPLICABLE TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS.
?The requirement to detain a person in military custody
under this section does not extend to
citizens of the United States."

Source: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s1253rs/pdf/BILLS-112s1253rs.pdf

So, yeah. Goddamn it, I'm not even a citizen of the US. Do Your own research?

~Sylv
I would still call it iffy at best. I see too many places where one would have to prove they are a citizen, and seeing how hard that was to get into college I would hate to see how hard it is when they want to make it hard.

I think people are more upset that the idea of the bill passed then the specifics of the bill.

Also the line except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States is iffy as there are some people who can make the constitution say anything. They will find a way to make it constitutional under one of the broader powers of government.

That's how they got the power to make agencies after all, by redefining a few words.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Joseph Alexander said:
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10023-senate-passes-controversial-defense-bill

yes, you read that right.
the senate has pushed forth an act that gives the military the ability to throw you in jail without cause, conviction, or end on mere suspicion.
and we though SOPA was the biggest threat to freedom.
You realize the Patriot act was passed 8 years ago right? O wait...

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

A really looong distance.
seconded. makes me glad that my country is a happy bubble of an island, our closest neighbors having more sheep than humans. when Obama rolls out the swastickas and starts rounding up the Italians to work in his cocaine mines, i will laugh and throw another shrimp on the barbie, mate.

but seriously, that new Australian/Japanese military pact makes me feel a little safer. i feel like the world is moving towards another world war, and IL let bygones be bygones if those crazy little samurais bastards my grandpa fought will get our backs and unveil those sweet mech suits i know they have stashed away :)