WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

Patrick Corners

Oct 11, 2011
tofulove said:
according to the article it passed 93 to 7, there is no veto option for it.
In the Senate that is not counting the House of Rep. Then it goes to the president and he can veto it once then it goes back to congress and they can override the veto with a 2/3 majority which almost never happens

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Patrick Corners said:
-snip, stuff's huge yo-
It's not so much as opinion as I knew a few guys who were sent down there and they pretty much figured that stuff out themselves. And I'm really hoping that Obama Haggar-Piledrives this thing into the ground, because after reading it it does seem like small-scale terrorism to me. Then again I'm always paranoid.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Patrick Corners said:
tofulove said:
In the Senate that is not counting the House of Rep. Then it goes to the president and he can veto it once then it goes back to congress and they can override the veto with a 2/3 majority which almost never happens
im not sure how the house feels about it, but with a 93 to 7 if the house is on the same fence as the senate all a veto will do is push it back a little bit. and i hope the supreme court is going to say fuck no to it, but im not holding my breath.

Patrick Corners

Oct 11, 2011
tofulove said:
Patrick Corners said:
tofulove said:
im not sure how the house feels about it, but with a 93 to 7 if the house is on the same fence as the senate all a veto will do is push it back a little bit. and i hope the supreme court is going to say fuck no to it, but im not holding my breath.
In the history of the US Congress very few bills have ever been able to pass after they have been vetoed. Even when they have been widely supported. But this will not happen because it will fail in the house I'm willing to fall on my sword if it does happen.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
NightmareLuna said:
Hmmm, call me stupid but I have a question about this...

"Explicitly authorize the federal government to indefinitely imprison without charge or trial American citizens and others picked up inside and outside the United States."

What in the hay is that bold part about? I would guess it refers to things like drugcartels and whatnot, but picking up someone from outside the United States, where the US have no legal rights and taking them back and being able to keep them, well forever, without any form offical charge or trial?
We have military bases outside our borders, this bill is for the military. They're not just there to look pretty.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
This will be making you guys Pray for Sharia law >.>

I would say I feel bad...

Na even I'm not that cold-hearted. I do feel bad.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Joseph Alexander said:
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
like they did on the patriot act?
I'm still shocked that the Patriot act is not only still in existence, but it's lauded by all politicians from both sides of the aisle.

It feels like one of those horrible parodies of High School where one person says "you don't like the patriot act!? You're a terrorist!" and then the other guy says "Nuh-UH! I am TOTALLY about the patriot act. I love it so much!"

It's very disturbing how out of control our government has been lately on limiting all of our "freedoms" while simultaneously applauding living in the "land of the free"...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

A really looong distance.
Unless you're on the Moon, an ICBM can still reach you. And even then.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I still have faith in the Supreme Court. Granted it may be because I am going into the law field but the courts seem to usually do the right thing.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Joseph Alexander said:
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/10023-senate-passes-controversial-defense-bill

yes, you read that right.
the senate has pushed forth an act that gives the military the ability to throw you in jail without cause, conviction, or end on mere suspicion.
and we though SOPA was the biggest threat to freedom.
President Obama, however, has threatened to veto the bill.

/thread. Is there really any thing more that needs to be said?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Good news, Obama has already said he's going to Veto the military thing into the dirt should he ever find it on his desk.
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
Thank God for balance of power.

It looks like it's going to pass through Congress, but it has to be signed into law, or have a veto overridden to go into effect; and even after that it could be (and should be!) struck down as unconstitutional.

There's no need to panic...yet.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Hey, uh...before this gets completely out of hand:

http://notasenator.tumblr.com/post/13759360157

EC. 1031. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES TO DETAIN COVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE.

(e) Authorities- Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.
---
The point that they stated with this amendment, which was affirmed through a vote, was that the existing laws regarding detaining US citizens and the due process they receive will not change because of this act.
I think this is worth a gander. This whole thing seems terribly overblown.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Hey, uh...before this gets completely out of hand:

http://notasenator.tumblr.com/post/13759360157

I think this is worth a gander.
Quoting for the peace