WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DeanoTheGod said:
Dont forget that the military also come under another set of laws, in which escalation of force, and necessity play a huge part. This doesn't mean that Military Police can just go around arresting people for fun, as they would be court marshalled and punished for the offence. They would have to do it for good reason, and for what rules of engagement apply. I expect it was passed to allow the military police to deal with protestors, and other nuisances more efficiently, without a further risk to operations and or lives. (Some of the things that protesters around airbases do is just plain stupid and dangerous to their own and others lives!)
Remember that the most crucial thing when evaluating a law is not the law's intent, but the unintended consequences. If the intent is, indeed to apply only to protesters around military installations, then that's what's called a compelling interest, but, the law, at least what little I've seen of it doesn't seem to limit itself in that way.

In fact, if I'm reading the information on it correctly, that's not even in the periphery of the intent, it looks like the intent was counter terrorism, which starts to get downright scary when you consider that the military, when it comes to terrorism suspects isn't justice, it's intelligence gathering.

Without stipulations or a supreme court slap-down, what you can expect is the military seizing US citizens, initially in relation to suspected terrorism charges, but, abuses, and a lack of oversight are inevitable.

EDIT: A quick review indicates that this in fact is not the case at all. There's a nominal exemption for American Citizens, it can be found on page 359. Granted this is an arms appropriation bill so the thing runs to 666 goddamn pages (no joke), so I may have missed something.

It does explicitly affect Anons who aren't US Citizens however, if the McCain amendment on cybersecurity is real.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
can we start getting paranoid about communists infiltrating America again like we did so many years ago?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Zhukov said:
Ah, we love you America.

From a distance.

A really looong distance.
Hahaha true that, they get a thumbs up from me before I flee back to the middle of my cold, cold island.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I can see why people would be upset about this, but it sort of strikes me the same as when people in Britain lost their shit over more CCTV cameras being installed everywhere: surely if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about?

javelinstark

Sep 19, 2011
rob_simple said:
I can see why people would be upset about this, but it sort of strikes me the same as when people in Britain lost their shit over more CCTV cameras being installed everywhere: surely if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about?
man goddamn cops have been suspicious of me for things like stealing and possession just because i have long hair. that "if youve done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about" shit doesnt fly. i mean its up to the government whats right and wrong anyway, you have to defend your own personal rights and beliefs and always be sure you stick to them instead of letting the government bend you to their will whenever they decide something is wrong.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Epicspoon said:
can we start getting paranoid about communists infiltrating America again like we did so many years ago?
Nope. The only people afraid of that are Fox News and their audience, these days.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
I was gonna write on how this should be completely against what America stands for and yadda yadda, but then i remembered im not American and realized that i had already forgotten the American history that i learned from the tv.
I think this is going too bloody far.
This shit cant pass.

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
Ahh, crap... seeing as how Australia desperately copies everything America does, we're going to be in trouble in a couple of years...

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Huh...
Did everyone notice the part that says "US citizens and others" inside and outside of the US?
So, is the USA declaring war on everyone? I mean, they are stating that they will kidnap anyone they want, whoever or wherever they are.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Just Americans right? Then I'm ok...

But still, sigh.... this country....

Don't feel like living here anymore.

EDIT: nope... nevermind... "Americans and others"

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Ledan said:
Huh...
Did everyone notice the part that says "US citizens and others" inside and outside of the US?
So, is the USA declaring war on everyone? I mean, they are stating that they will kidnap anyone they want, whoever or wherever they are.

Guam, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands are not officially considered as part of U.S. although they are owned by them

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Joseph Alexander said:
the senate has pushed forth an act that gives the military the ability to throw you in jail without cause, conviction, or end on mere suspicion.
Obama will pass it. They're doing it so it's in place when Assange gets extradited, so they can lock him up for good and make an example of him. Yes, I called it.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Joseph Alexander said:
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
like they did on the patriot act?
No one ever got dicked over really bad with the patriot act to have the SC call it to their attention. It'd be like if the Indians didn't try to fight that Georgia law in court and end up getting screwed.