WARNING! this is a real threat to basic human freedoms!

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Lilani said:
Joseph Alexander said:
Fanfic_warper said:
Wait for it, Supreme Court's going to bring the hammer down on this one.
like they did on the patriot act?
I think it's safe to say there is quite a bit of difference between listening in on somebody's conversation without a warrant and detaining them without rights or probable cause for an indefinite period of time.

Anyway, though it is relieving Obama isn't even considering signing off on it, it's pretty disturbing that the congress and senate would both pass it in the first place. I mean really, who the fuck are these people we've elected?
A bunch of psychopathic, power-hungry assholes who think that those lower than them deserve either to serve or die. Duh, we've like known this since like forver, I mean like oh mah gaw.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
hehe, I doubt this will last more than a year but seriously this law is fucked in so many ways.

So basically from what I read (Not the whole thing) the american military are becoming an occupying force on their own country? and detaining ANYONE who they think is even a slight bother?

That defeats the point of a military designed to protect their citizens, how stupid are your politicians?!

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Why are Americans always talking about civil rights?

Because they dont have any, they just dont know it yet!

javelinstark

Sep 19, 2011
lRookiel said:
hehe, I doubt this will last more than a year but seriously this law is fucked in so many ways.

So basically from what I read (Not the whole thing) the american military are becoming an occupying force on their own country? and detaining ANYONE who they think is even a slight bother?

That defeats the point of a military designed to protect their citizens, how stupid are your politicians?!

stupid enough to put even themselves at risk of being locked away for no reason and give the military almost complete justification for doing anything anywhere as long as its in the name of the supposed "war on terror"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sylvine said:
Did any one of You bother to actually check sections 1031 and 1032, or did You all just assume. Oh! It says so on teh internets! Must be true, then!...?

Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."

Under 1032:
"(b) REQUIREMENT INAPPLICABLE TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS.
?The requirement to detain a person in military custody
under this section does not extend to
citizens of the United States."

Source: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s1253rs/pdf/BILLS-112s1253rs.pdf

So, yeah. Goddamn it, I'm not even a citizen of the US. Do Your own research?

~Sylv
So they can still just fuck about with other country's people? That's still pretty damn bad, and extremely arrogant to think that they have that right. More international bullying from American politicians.
Krantos said:
Well, time to move. Where's a good place?

*looks at the EU*
eh, nope.
Holland's still good bro! Just stay away from the southern regions. Except for holidays.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Krantos said:

*looks at the EU*
eh, nope.

*looks to Australia*
No R18 rating? Nope.

*Looks at Africa, Asia, South America*

Well, fu-

*Looks to Canada*
There's an idea...

Seriously though, if this gets put into law, it can officially be said that the US as it was intended has ceased to exist. I know there have been similar laws passed during wars, but the War on Terror is indefinite. It's on going, so this law will stay on the books until it's forcibly taken down. Not likely to happen anytime soon.
Oh thank God, I'm not the only one who's thought of moving to Canada, home of the blessed Shatner.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Hang on, am I missing something here?

Isn't America always making itself out to be "the land of the free"?
They've strayed from their roots, and are becoming exactly the thing they promised to defend the world against

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Sylvine said:
Did any one of You bother to actually check sections 1031 and 1032, or did You all just assume. Oh! It says so on teh internets! Must be true, then!...?

Under 1031:
"(d) CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION ON APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES PERSONS.
?The authority to detain a person under this section does not extend to the
detention of citizens or lawful resident aliens of the United
States on the basis of conduct taking place within the
United States except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States."

Under 1032:
"(b) REQUIREMENT INAPPLICABLE TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS.
?The requirement to detain a person in military custody
under this section does not extend to
citizens of the United States."

Source: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s1253rs/pdf/BILLS-112s1253rs.pdf

So, yeah. Goddamn it, I'm not even a citizen of the US. Do Your own research?

~Sylv
So they can still just fuck about with other country's people? That's still pretty damn bad, and extremely arrogant to think that they have that right. More international bullying from American politicians.
Krantos said:

*looks at the EU*
eh, nope.
Holland's still good bro! Just stay away from the southern regions. Except for holidays.

think the big problem is if your declared a terrorist then your an enemy of the state and even if you were born in the USA your considered a foreign hostile and its off to guantanamo, i know a few English nationals got shipped off their with no trial or due process it made the news and stuff, dunno if they got out my care level is shockingly low.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I always wander, would it actally be for the best if all american states became there own country things would get a bit less stupid from that end of the world.

I hear about this thing that will have the potential at afecting everyone but only you yanks can complain about it.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
TheVioletBandit said:
Diablo1099 said:
Dear America.

Please get your shit together.

Signed Everyone.

Dear Everyone,

You're not really helping.

Signed, America
Dear America.

WE Didn't vote on a bill that puts us AT WAR WITH OURSELFS!!
WE got our own Issues to deal with, WE didn't think that you would pull some shit like this!
AND WE DIDN'T MAKE PIZZA A STAPLE FOOD!!!

Signed, Everyone.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Obama's not going to sign that. He's already said he won't.

Also, have you read the contents of the "Patriot" Act? It did the same thing, just on a lesser scale.

Rude as HECK

Feb 24, 2011
TheVioletBandit said:
Diablo1099 said:
Dear America.

Signed Everyone.

Dear Everyone,

Signed, America
Dear Everyone,
Take the log out of your eye, etc. Check up on the multitude of offensive legislation enacted around the world.

Signed, me.

cgaWolf

Apr 16, 2009
. The NDAA, passed by a vote of 93 to 7, virtually stated that all of the United States may be considered a battlefield, and therefore the American military is permitted to indefinitely detain any American perceived to be a threat.
Isn't that completely contradicting Habeas Corpus & the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878?

Pretty sure SCOTUS will ditch that in a year or two, as they have done with other measures like it that have come before. IIRC the last attempt to suspend habeas corpus was under the bush administration, and was ditched by the supreme court 2 years later.

lacktheknack said:
Ever get the feeling that America should just drop all of its politicians, all its red tape, all its in-progress bills, all its current lawsuits, etc, and just start again?

I'm feeling it quite a bit here.
Isn't that what the second amendment is for? ;)

You guys have the right to bear arms; not to form a well regulated militia (that would be your military), but to defend yourself against that well regulated militia; which initially is required to defend a democratic state, but which historically has been the downfall of open societies more often than not. At least, that's how i always understood the reasoning :p

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
TheVioletBandit said:
Diablo1099 said:
Dear America.

Signed Everyone.

Dear Everyone,

Signed, America
Dear America.

WE Didn't vote on a bill that puts us AT WAR WITH OURSELFS!!
WE got our own Issues to deal with, WE didn't think that you would pull some shit like this!
AND WE DIDN'T MAKE PIZZA A STAPLE FOOD!!!

Signed, Everyone.
Dear Everyone,

You did push bills, laws, and so on forward that put you at war with yourselves, and you did it over and over again. Maybe your getting to old to remember your long and horrible life, but let me remind you, it has been a blood bath.

Signed America

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I love it when yankess stand firmly against being subject to the very same rules they force on foreigners. Like extrajudicial jailing and assassinations were "too" wrong only when applied to the fatherland.