Warren Spector: Deus Ex "Is Not Done For Me"

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
Sounds good!

If they did a remake of DX that would be awesome. Throw in some new weapons, better graphics, better physics.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Did I miss something? What happened to Deus Ex 3, the supposed (steampunk) prequel?

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Wow everything I love is slowly consumed. I loved Dues Ex, I played that game a dozen times over and probably have seen everything there is to see about that game. I didn't consider Dues Ex 2 to be a sequel but rather a game trying to use references of it's source and the "same but better" game play trend to attract people to game that really didn't use anything that people enjoyed from the original. I can hope though.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
For it's era, Deus Ex did a lot right. And yes, I'd even defend the voice acting. No one's going to win any awards for it, sure, but you have to remember that we're in the medium that gave us Resident Evil and David Duchovny's complete lack of interest in XIII before you go throwing around terms like "God-awful". You can tell what people's emotional state is (where they're supposed to have an evident one, anyway) when they speak and the protaganist even manages to make their lack of affect funny in a couple of places.

("Because I know your killphrase. 'Gedanken Machine'.")

I've also seen more than a few recent games that had far, far worse lipsync. Maybe if Ion Storm had been willing to make a few more games with "ugly, out of date" engines rather than updating for the newest and shiniest they'd still be in business, rather than laughably remembered for the whole Daikatana debacle.

DX2 wasn't awful, but it made some serious mis-steps, starting with the magical nano-ammunition. And if projecting onward from DX1's three endings was a headache, DX2's endings- all, arguably, various shades of "bad"- would be a nightmare. Prequel, hell- I think the universe may need a reboot.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
AceDiamond said:
EDIT (because I misread): This would be pretty damn awesome if he can go back to it. Even though I liked Invisible War I do have to admit it is a bit unsatisfying as a sequel.
I thought it kind of took everything we loved from DX 1...and completely ignored it. Much like what Ubisoft are doing with DX3, only they're bashing DX 1 as well.

I hate jumping the gun, but I do wish death upon Ubisoft Montreal at this point. Cover system?

Just keep it with JC please, Warren, and then I'd love you long time.
Psssst , Ubisoft Montreal has less than nothing to do with Deus Ex 3 , it's actually Eidos Montreal you're referring to ;)

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
I would love to see a Deus Ex 3, but I would RATHER see an update of Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2 (It wasn't horrible, it just paled in comparison to it's predecessor) for modern pcs and consoles.

Both would just be the bees knees. Deus Ex is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I like the idea of a "spiritual successor" that Warren talks about more then any remake or prequel.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Malygris said:
The possibility of more Deus Ex isn't just wishful thinking; Spector also said that while his own attempts to secure the rights to the franchise from Eidos [http://www.eidos.com] were unsuccessful, Disney was able to pick them up when it purchased Junction Point in 2007. Disney Deus Ex, anyone?
Oh dear god, no. Disney have the rights to Deus Ex?! They'll completely bork it up.

*sigh* I guess its too much for a Deus Ex 1 to occur again - DE:IW was alright, and prettier than DE 1, but it can't complete with its older, more experienced sister.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Scrythe said:
Did I miss something? What happened to Deus Ex 3, the supposed (steampunk) prequel?
Deus Ex 3? I guess they got bored of showing us concept art and trolling the other two games. Maybe they have actually started working on it.

Tiamat666 said:
I hope you're being sarcastic. Deus Ex had decent graphics at it's time and the voice acting is excellent even for todays standards.
Fandom is a beautiful thing. Cherish it while you can.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Doug said:
Oh dear god, no. Disney have the rights to Deus Ex?! They'll completely bork it up.
Disney also has Warren Spector, noone else even has a chance at a good Deus Ex game.

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
I wonder if The Nameless Mod which came out earlier this year and even sent a copy to him (to his praise), helped re-kindle his desire to see the story play out further.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
sgtshock said:
Tiamat666 said:
Malygris said:
...a sluggish, dated game engine, muddy textures, ugly models and absolutely god-awful voice acting...
I hope you're being sarcastic. Deus Ex had decent graphics at it's time and the voice acting is excellent even for todays standards.
Deus Ex? Good voice acting?

Anyway, good to hear we might be getting a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex. There aren't many games around quite like Deus Ex, even today.
LOL, thanks for the nostalgia. I remember goading that australian bartender in HK into dragging out that political discussion for what seemed like an hour.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zeithri said:
I still have it installed. It's one of the first games I reinstall whenever I have to reinstall my OS.

Invisible War was a good game, I thought it was fun, but I liked the feel of the first game more.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Spector's one of my fave designers, I like nearly every game he made, but I do have to say that Invisible War gives me severe doubts he could pull off a Deus Ex with the appeal of the first. Don't know why, other than perhaps because this was exactly what he was tasked to do with Invisible War and failed.

Deus Ex 3 in development looked really interesting when I read an expose on it somewhere. I hope that game manages to make it to release.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mekado said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
AceDiamond said:
EDIT (because I misread): This would be pretty damn awesome if he can go back to it. Even though I liked Invisible War I do have to admit it is a bit unsatisfying as a sequel.
I thought it kind of took everything we loved from DX 1...and completely ignored it. Much like what Ubisoft are doing with DX3, only they're bashing DX 1 as well.

I hate jumping the gun, but I do wish death upon Ubisoft Montreal at this point. Cover system?

Just keep it with JC please, Warren, and then I'd love you long time.
Psssst , Ubisoft Montreal has less than nothing to do with Deus Ex 3 , it's actually Eidos Montreal you're referring to ;)
...Wow, did someone say fail?

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
Zeithri said:

Correction: Deus Ex is not a sci-fi game.
It's a Cyberpunk game. Cyberpunk is a sub-genre to Sci-fi.
Meaning it's both a Sci-fi and Cyberpunk game. Being a sub-genre means that everything that is a part of the sub-genre is part of the original genre as well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
sgtshock said:
Deus Ex? Good voice acting?

Anyway, good to hear we might be getting a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex. There aren't many games around quite like Deus Ex, even today.
The exception does not define the norm. For every hilariously bad line I heard, there are 100 lines that were delivered well.
However, they should have just hired some English-speaking Chinese voice actors to save themselves from the embarrassment, or did they mean to tell us there aren't translators in Hong Kong?? Land of the Epic Dub?

Nevermind Ion Storm's previous disaster with such voice acting...*cough*Mikiko*cough*

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Same here, though cross out the "a bit" before unsatisfying. That said, I'm still very excited. Why? Because he actually learned from his failures, as can be seen through this post-mortem he and Harvey Smith did for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Edit: Ok, maybe I was abit harash - I did enjoy Deus Ex: IW, but I really didn't feel it lived up to the original - it took a step back from its greatness.