Warren Spector: Deus Ex "Is Not Done For Me"

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Zeithri said:
I would post a facepalm picture but I don't have too.
You don't say "Oh, this is a Scifi" if it's a Cyberpunk.
Both genres have two distinct features to themselves and while can be interchangeable, should not be due to it'll end up inbetween the hell of trying to name which one it is. In Deus Ex case, it's a clear Cyberpunk one. Hence why you refer to it as Cyberpunk.

You don't refer William Gibson as a Sci-fi author now do you?
....ergh....

If Cyberpunk is a subgenre of sci-fi, as you said, THEN Cyberpunk stories are sci-fi by DEFINITION. I.e. everything cyberpunk is sci-fi, but not everything sci-fi is cyberpunk. Hence the SUB in subgenre.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Zeithri said:
Doug said:
Zeithri said:
I would post a facepalm picture but I don't have too.
You don't say "Oh, this is a Scifi" if it's a Cyberpunk.
Both genres have two distinct features to themselves and while can be interchangeable, should not be due to it'll end up inbetween the hell of trying to name which one it is. In Deus Ex case, it's a clear Cyberpunk one. Hence why you refer to it as Cyberpunk.

You don't refer William Gibson as a Sci-fi author now do you?
....ergh....

If Cyberpunk is a subgenre of sci-fi, as you said, THEN Cyberpunk stories are sci-fi by DEFINITION. I.e. everything cyberpunk is sci-fi, but not everything sci-fi is cyberpunk. Hence the SUB in subgenre.
Calling Cyberpunk for Sci-fi is wrong by definition.
Just because you have a cyberpunk world doesn't mean you have spacetravel.
Just as having a space world doesn't mean that the major corperations are evil and that people have cyberwear installed.
Sci-fi = Science Fiction. It does NOT include space travel as a defining feature.

Sci-fi CAN involve space travel, but doesn't have to. It can be futuristic technology, such as AI's, advanced genetic engining, holographic projection, etc, all without including space travel.

Your definition of sci-fi is wrong - just because many sci-fi's do include space travel does not mean ALL sci-fi's do.

Edit: To quote Wikipedia:-
Science fiction is a genre of fiction, usually set in the future, dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas". Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities. The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality, but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief provided by potential scientific explanations to various fictional elements.

These may include:

* A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in an historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record
* A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens
* Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature
* Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Zeithri said:
You're nitpicking now so I won't argue on that.
Infact, I'll agree with you, I was just making a gross generalization in order to prove my point.
...? Ok, I doubt this line of conversation is going to go anywhere, so...

Anywho, hope Warren Spector does return to this Spiritual sequel to Deus Ex as I think he learned from his mistakes in Invisible War. And I have my fears that Deus Ex 3 won't be much good - I mean, the Square Enix cutscenes just don't sit right with me for starters, and the lack of in game footage for public viewing is troubling.