Watch Dog metacritic reviews

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
CarnageRacing00 said:
The hype hurt this game, I'm sure of it. Ubisoft were so cock sure about this being the next big game. Their ads, pre-release BS, etc... all of it suggested that Watch Dogs was just going to be tits... so when it ended up being slightly less than tits, of course it was a let down.

Had they not talked it up so much and let gamers discover it, it wouldn't be tainted with disappointment.
And this is also the main reason for the low metacritic user scores if you ask me, I notice lots of people are nailing the game with 0-2\10 scores just because of that, so I wouldn't entirely trust that score average.

Anyway, Watch Dogs is an overall decent game, whats there is good, I'm having great fun playing it, I know I'm going to be playing it for a long while and I know I'm going to walk away feeling satisfied with it. My biggest gripe is that it just lacks that needed oomph to push it from "hey this is pretty decent" to "woah this is AMAZING".

All in all, definitely not up there with the top tier sandbox games, but most certainly one or two levels under it, if that makes sense. The hate this game is getting is really unwarranted though, except the PC version, that I understand and hope Ubisoft fixes quickly.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, this is what happens when you hype something as the next, big evolution in gaming and a benchmark for next-gen capabilities...only to have it be merely good. Fact of the matter is, there's NOTHING about the games that's really groundbreaking or a clear indicator that this needed the new consoles. (Of course, people well say it was clearly the PS3, 360, and Wii U holding it back since it was cross-generational, but I don't buy that. If anything that's an indicator that they should have done better as they should have mastered the 360 and PS3 by this point). It's another Assassin's Creed; interesting IDEA, but the displayed product is really just a glorified tech demo. Another game might fix some things, but the fact that it takes another game in the first place is a sign of inadequacy. I don't know whether the team didn't take the game seriously OR they did take it seriously but they just didn't have the chops to make it truly great. At the very least they showed that for all their talk of needing new consoles, they sure as hell didn't do anything to show WHY they needed them. Welcome to the new generation, it's going to be BUMPY.

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
delta4062 said:
beef_razor said:
I didn't even really want this game, then I bought it and love it. Probably a bunch of haters, but then who knows. The internet is the internet.
Honestly this sums it up. I haven't played it but this just seems to be the gaming community these days. They hype shit up beyond measure for no reason then bash the shit out of the game when it's relesed.

Aliens Colonial Marines is a tragic example of this. The reviews for that game were harsh yet the game itself was still pretty good. "It wasn't what was shown at E3" So the fuck what? The game is still enjoyable. Judge the game on what it is, not a comparison to what you thought it was or a much earlier version of it.
WOAH did you say you found Aliens: Colonial Marines enjoyable? You are literally the first person I have seen who said that. No kidding I am for real. However I thinks it's a crap game myself so yes, but I have not seen a single netizen agree with a statement like that.

OT: Hype doesn't really play a factor. At least not in this case. The Last of Us was hyped more than Watch_Dogs and it got more GOTY awards then I don't know what. GTAV was also hyped and reviewers slapped 10s on it like bubblegum on the underside of a school desk. Of course some people now are saying they are overrated and bad or etc. but the majority of gamers I've seen still think at least one of them is the BEST OF ALL TIME. However when Watch Dogs came out it really didn't have the red carpet laid out for it, didn't it. Although, GTA V and TLOU didn't have as much controversy and negative press going into release as Watch Dogs did so maybe that was a factor? I don't know but the people Ubisoft are probably going through hell with the angry phone calls.

RaginDrage

Jul 4, 2012
Watch Dogs is doomed to be compared to GTA V and its initial presentation video.

On its own, Watch Dogs is fairly fun but not anywhere near the quality of its 2012 visual target or as refined as the long running GTA series. Players expected a GTA killer with the 2012 quality visuals and got neither, so they're gonna rip it to shreds.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
MeTalHeD said:
Both Sony and Ubisoft said so: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2394596/watch_dogs_is_1080p_60fps_on_ps4_says_ubisoft.html

Apparently Sony were the first to remove the reference but Ubisoft were still convinced it could be done. They both seem to have backpedaled a bit so they both screwed gamers.

And quite a few games have good stories or at the very least good characters. Many people either loved or hated GTA4, for example, but I loved the character of Niko. I was willing to put up with shitty gameplay to know more about how he develops and his past etc.

Dead Space (the first one) was another game I thought was well done, if you're going the story route. There are many games with well-written stories (God of War, the first Max Paynes, Metro 2033, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Grim Fandango, hell even Starcraft) and while they may not be original when compared to previous work done by different media, a story well told is still a good story. You don't have to be the first to come up with the concept, but you can tell it better than anyone else can, or at least well enough to keep gamers hooked. In 5 years, they had enough time to source enough material and writers for a decent story. The game was not a rushed job, but still it misses the mark.
Ah.

Most games that are regarded to have awesome stories like Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Neir, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. have stories that are at best merely good. I did love Mass Effect for the characters but the story was never anything special long before the ME3 ending (which I actually didn't hate). God of War was nothing special story-wise or even character-wise, it was just presented extremely well. The story then turns to shit in GoW2&3 though. I actually don't go into any game expecting a good story because if I did, I'd be disappointed 99% of the time. The problem with just the writing process in games is that the levels are usually developed before the story (like Naughty Dog with Uncharted and Mirror's Edge) and the writer(s) have to make a story fit within the already created levels.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
RaginDrage said:
On its own, Watch Dogs is fairly fun but not anywhere near the quality of its 2012 visual target or as refined as the long running GTA series. Players expected a GTA killer with the 2012 quality visuals and got neither, so they're gonna rip it to shreds.
It's not hard to "kill" GTA as the series isn't very good, the missions are so poorly constructed. I didn't expect 2012 quality graphics because 1) it was a reveal of an open world game (meaning all the game systems weren't in place yet and I'm sure the whole world itself wasn't done yet either so that means the graphics shown in 2012 could use more processing power) and 2) it was running on a high end PC (which is better spec-wise than PS4 or Xbone).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
There are critical reviews of the 360/PS3 versions? News to me, and I just went looking for the 360 stuff a day or two ago for a buddy looking at getting it. Most I found was some random reference to there not being water(????).

The PS4 I'd say caught hype backlash mostly. The PC has major issues (The few LPers I tend to look at new releases via who tried on PC couldn't get the thing to stabilize well no matter their systems meeting/beating requirements, and the controls really work poorly without using gamepads). Not sure why Xbone'd be any different from PS4 though.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
The fact that UBISOFT didnt want this game competing with GTAV last year says a lot. Also the higher than crysis spec requirements smell like Nvidia/INtel/OEM payola.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You don't understand how Metacritic works.

The Critic Score is a mostly accurate indication of the game's quality.

The User Score is not used as a quality indicator. A high user score merely means that the game 1. has not been largely hyped (as is the case here), 2. doesn't represent a disliked trend in gaming (ie Call of Duty), 3. is not developed or published by unpopular companies (namely EA and sometimes Ubisoft), and 4. hasn't been involved in some sort of scandal (ie. The War Z). If the game fulfills any of the above four conditions, it's indicated by a low user score.

Watch_Dogs had a large amount of hype, so its low user score is as inevitable as it is stupid.

"But hey! This sounds like the users are kneecapping their own voice on the site!" Congrats, you found the actual failing of Capitalism: The vast majority of consumers are too dumb or lazy to correctly use the tools they're given.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:

I dunno, like the OP says Watch_Dogs has a Crit Score of about 80. That seems measurably different to player opinions, including my own, even after factoring out the hype backlash. It was a boring, poorly designed game with a lot of little niggles and some really, really bad controls or mechanics. As others have said, I still wouldn't call it a bad game, but the prevailing opinion around the 'net appears to be that it is average-to-decent, playable, but not setting the world on fire.

8/10 or 80% or 4/5 stars isn't average. That's good, possibly even great.

I agree with you that critical score is generally a better indicator of game quality than the baying howls of the mob, who will as a rule either love or loathe a game and be most vocal about pointing it out, but the fact that our critical scoring system is broken as fuck means it still isn't very reliable. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists who will claim that all positive reviews come from reviewers being paid off or that negative ones are a result of malice, but I certainly do believe there's a herd mentality to reviews. There's a safety band between 7 & 9 (or equivalent in the metric of your choosing) where a reviewer can generally put an OK-ish or less than stellar game without drawing too much hate. At least on the major game sites, there don't appear to be very many reviewers willing to go outside that and score a game according to its merits rather than by what numbers would be acceptable to placate the mob. Fair enough if they enjoyed the game and want to rank it highly, but I read a great many Watch_Dogs reviews before purchasing the game and the majority of them spent equal (or greater) time pointing out flaws and bugs in the game as they did praising it, only to go on and score it 8 or 9 out of 10.

TL:DR - user scores are broken by fanboy love/nerd rage, reviewer scores are broken by a flawed scoring system where, unless the hive mind has already dubbed a game to be terrible, going outside the safe area of 7-9 is verboten. Look at the shitstorm this very site caught for the Dragon Age 2 review, for praising a game that was already "known" to be deeply flawed. Neither method is particularly representative of game quality, unfortunately.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Does it matter what others think of a game, really? These days I will usually watch a lets play of the opening sequence to a game to see if will like it. From the players reactions, to how the game looks I can tell if it is something I will enjoy. I used to watch video reviews, but it became more and more that they would only show the flashy moments of cutscenes, and special attacks that games began to look over complicated or like there wasn't much control.

I like watching someone fight a fight that was too easy/hard, mess up button presses due to poor controls or die because they missed a small symbol in the corner to tell them they are bleeding before I decide whether a game is well designed, or if it is something I will find engaging and fun.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
MeTalHeD said:
Both Sony and Ubisoft said so: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2394596/watch_dogs_is_1080p_60fps_on_ps4_says_ubisoft.html

Apparently Sony were the first to remove the reference but Ubisoft were still convinced it could be done. They both seem to have backpedaled a bit so they both screwed gamers.

And quite a few games have good stories or at the very least good characters. Many people either loved or hated GTA4, for example, but I loved the character of Niko. I was willing to put up with shitty gameplay to know more about how he develops and his past etc.

Dead Space (the first one) was another game I thought was well done, if you're going the story route. There are many games with well-written stories (God of War, the first Max Paynes, Metro 2033, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Grim Fandango, hell even Starcraft) and while they may not be original when compared to previous work done by different media, a story well told is still a good story. You don't have to be the first to come up with the concept, but you can tell it better than anyone else can, or at least well enough to keep gamers hooked. In 5 years, they had enough time to source enough material and writers for a decent story. The game was not a rushed job, but still it misses the mark.
Ah.

Most games that are regarded to have awesome stories like Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Neir, Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. have stories that are at best merely good. I did love Mass Effect for the characters but the story was never anything special long before the ME3 ending (which I actually didn't hate). God of War was nothing special story-wise or even character-wise, it was just presented extremely well. The story then turns to shit in GoW2&3 though. I actually don't go into any game expecting a good story because if I did, I'd be disappointed 99% of the time. The problem with just the writing process in games is that the levels are usually developed before the story (like Naughty Dog with Uncharted and Mirror's Edge) and the writer(s) have to make a story fit within the already created levels.
I think they're maybe scared that going story first might scare potential gamers off, so they throw gameplay first I imagine. That being said, you're not going to get anything original from a game's story. For example, you could compare Mario Brothers to Dead Space. In both, the protagonist is putting himself through tremendous danger (living mushrooms, ridiculous obstacles, an evil tortoise/necromorphs, a damaged mining ship and dementia) to rescue a woman. Whether Mario loves Princess Peach in the game is debatable, but we've seen and heard damsel in distress stories since forever.

As you said, presenting something really well is important. We're not going to get original stories, and when we do, companies take risks doing so. These days they're scared of risks, so revenge, saving the world or a rescue mission (among others) are typical of what we'll get. Presenting it well is still the key here. Presenting it means constructing it properly and fitting it into the media of choice. You wouldn't write a newspaper article the same way you would a novel. There are exceptions, but overall your aim is to pitch something that's been done before in a fresh way. We know the hero is going to succeed, but the question is how. How would include some clever writing and maybe experimenting with subverting the audience/gamers' expectations so they have some plot twists and surprises along the way. You avoid making the plot too predictable and it keeps players interested.

What bugs me is when a game gets seriously hyped, people get sucked in by the hype, and developers drop them at the end. Sure, we shouldn't be gullible, but this is a relatively recent trend. Duke Nukem Forever did it with posters and massive marketing. I suspect they knew the product wasn't up to scratch. A hyped game would most likely score more pre-orders and lead to more sales in the first week before people wake up and realise it's not worth the money they spent. It's why reviewers place said reviews on hold until the launch date.

It's like a weed dealer telling potential clients the new strain he got will get them so high, they'll be stoned for 48 hours straight from a single puff...and they believe him. By the time you realise you're sober far sooner than promised (and it was last week's bad stock just re-packaged), he's already got your cash, can brag the stuff is selling like hot cakes and can move onto the next dodgy neighbourhood with endorsements of the people he paid to say "This is the best weed I have ever smoked...ever!".

Wait a sec...

Did I just compare Ubisoft to a weed dealer? o_O

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I expected very little from Watch Dogs and thus was pleasantly surprised by it. It's decent.
Nothing spectacular, by any means, but it manages to do the same things others do well enough.

Worth 60? Not really, not for me - but then again, majority of the titles aren't.
But it's worthwhile thing to try down the line, if one enjoys sandbox-y GTA things.

Metacritic is too volatile short-term to be a useful tool to gauge the quality of this game. Over time it will settle on a realistic median number. I would suggest stop using metacritic entirely - it grown harmful to the industry, but that's just me.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Metacritic is a terrible way to judge games, its just them all talking about how much games have changed for the worse over the years and how nothing is as unique as sonic the hedgehog, all written in completely broken grammar. Heres a tip, if a review is less than a paragraph, don't even bother looking at it. Anyone with anything meaningful to say about the subject will write it out carefully and in depth. That is why I only stick to reviewers I can trust. I can always count on TotalBiscuit, the escapists like Jim (and occasionally AngryJoeShow, though his review of Dragon's Dogma will forever stain his rep in my eyes) to say it how it is and be fair about it. Honestly the worst thing I can say about the game is it runs poorly on PC even with a god rig, but that's just an optimization issue really and will no doubt be fixed.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Personally, I didn't like the hype about it. I wasn't going to touch the game because of the controversy. A few co-workers convinced me to try it.

I'm not much for visuals. Really, I think TF2 looks amazing. Photo-realistic characters and visuals hit the uncanny valley pretty hard for me. The latest COD games, or Battlefield. Hell, even NS2's marines feel broken and disjointed to me, with their... Fuckin' lips. It's all I can think about.

"LOOK OUT! ONOS!!"

"Your lips man. Those fucking lips."

"STOP THINKING HOMOEROTIC THOUGHTS AND SHOOT THIS FUCKING THING BEFORE IT- AAARGH!"

"God, those lips are so goddamn ugly-Agh! Gored!"
So, when we look at the Graphics on medium for Watch Dogs, I don't really give a shit. It looks pretty good to me. I feel that for this day and age, these graphics are acceptable. Watching a Car-takeout via lights, barricades, or spikes look pretty ugly with the bad particles surrounding them, and slow-mo sparks, but that's my only issue graphically. The game doesn't rely on Bink either. So the cut scene's voice-work actually matches the character's mouths. These are the playable models. This makes the game look much nicer, and modern systems can handle the impressive models.

Gameplay wise, I feel that there was a lot of laziness. Drivings full tilt, making it difficult, but not unplayable. I feel that, on PC, this boost of difficulty fucking needed. I ran around with an AR for some time, and found it to be a cakewalk on realistic. The regenerative health system is lazy, and a pathetic joke when it comes to giving your game any iota of difficulty. I got shot? Well. I'll just wait behind cover, and if an enemy tried to sneak up on me. I can just pop them from another angle. Falling under the challenge of just electronics and pistol makes things enjoyable for me. Forced me to think instead of kill. This is helped by the fact the AI tends to focus on the last known location of something wrong. (Try sneaking from cover to cover in some fights. You might find the enemies will still suppress your last known location.)

The story's a bit odd. I'm screaming internally at the hacking. However, to play the role of devil's advocate, if the entire city is run on one operating system, one central hub for it's most basic of functionality, it is possible to make a massive program that you could just point a phone at and say "I want to see that." In theory, mind you. But at the same time, never underestimate the power of a bored programmer/hacker. A large enough group can get it done. This can be made significantly easier if everything has a wireless signal, which the game seems to suggest. Is the 'hacking' in Watch Dogs possible? Well, err... Plausible. Is it hacking? No you're pressing a button.

At the same side of things, man this game would be boring is you had to type every time you wanted to do something.
Code:
#include ctOS
private void hollisBarracades(){
//csOS.Barracade['hollisstally'];
private bool stat = csOS.Barracade['hollisstally'].get_status();
if (stat == false)
csOS.Barracade['hollisstally'].engage;
else
csOS.Barracade['hollisstally'].disengage;
}

hollisBarracades();
The hacking in the game HAD to be simplified. We HAD to include the camera thing because that's an interesting gameplay mechanic. We HAD to reduce hacking to holding a button because consoles cannot type. We also had to do this for PC because the average gamer also cannot type. (Lookin' at you, comments sections around the world!) Hell the average gamer probably doesn't really understand that pseudo-fake code I popped up there is just the very tip of a massive ice-berg of what the character, Aiden, or "deadsec" had to build to make his phone a possibility, or to grant themselves an iota of the access they needed to get anywhere.

Finally, all of that off the table, I don't really think WD shot itself in the foot. Yeah, you'll get people like me, or MetalHead who look at the ethics of crapshots and failed promises and go "Fuck these guys." But at the same time, It's your typical AAA release. It's fun. We're not really breaking any new ground here. It's different in the sense of a new IP, so it's a bit refreshing. Once I actually own the game, I'll be able to look into the multiplayer aspect, which seems quite inviting to me, really.

Watchdogs isn't mind-blowingly amazing, but it's different for the AAA industry. It's not groundbreaking, but it's not mediocre. It's settling around just a little above average. And if you go into it with a clear mind, you won't be disappointed. Well, you will be at the poor ethics of the developers and failed promises, but I like to look at the AAA industry as children. Thinking they can do amazing things in their own little world, but their heavy focus on being on top, and one specific shiny thing (graphics) harms their sense of creativity. When they grow up, you'll make some amazing games. For now, I'll be content to play cops and hackers with you.

I rambled pretty hard. So to remain on topic, I feel a lot of people hopped the UBI hate train on their reviews.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
Didn't the PC version have optimization issues with AMD cards on launch? That may have something to do with its incredibly low score, especially since PC-specific reviewers like PC Gamer were often running NVIDIA cards.
AMD users had MORE problems, but overall the graphic card manufacturer is irrelevant. My brand new 780ti OC had problems running the game. The only way I could get it to a stable framerate with less stuttering was to cap it at 30FPS, which as a now mostly dedicated PC gamer for quite a few years now is quite jarring.

Wulfram77

Dec 8, 2013
SonicWaffle said:
lacktheknack said:

I dunno, like the OP says Watch_Dogs has a Crit Score of about 80. That seems measurably different to player opinions, including my own, even after factoring out the hype backlash. It was a boring, poorly designed game with a lot of little niggles and some really, really bad controls or mechanics. As others have said, I still wouldn't call it a bad game, but the prevailing opinion around the 'net appears to be that it is average-to-decent, playable, but not setting the world on fire.

8/10 or 80% or 4/5 stars isn't average. That's good, possibly even great.
Video games are de-facto reviewed on a 5 point scale with +5 added to the result. 8/10 is thus 3 stars rather than 4. Though 3 stars still isn't a terrible review, it's just fairly average