Watch Dogs PC Requirements Recommend 8 Core CPU

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
8 Cores? Oh no..say it isn't so! So devs finally decided to actually use the power of our CPU's for once? Color me very surprised.

The recommended requirements for this game is what my PC currently has, something I bought 3 years ago. I still think the requirements are rather low to play on ultra.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
HanFyren said:
Wait, are you guys complaining because game developers are finally figuring out multi threading?
Hyper threading. Also, I like your optimism about a company whose employees went on record saying that you don't need to optimize on PC, people can just buy better hardware, and their latest title (AC4) occasionally drops to 40 FPS on sli Titans while looking like a 5 year old game with some cool water effects and god rays.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
noobium said:
I have a 3770k and I am sure pretty sure that it is a quad core processor.
Yup. One would think "game-journalists" would seek to clarify the whole core vs. thread situation, rather than actively help to disseminate misinformation.

Also, afaik those specs are based on outdated info released by Ubisoft some time ago.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
How anyone didn't see this coming is beyond me, I've been putting FX8120-8350s into budget gaming rigs for almost a year now.
If both new consoles using 8 core CPUs doesn't make developers start utilizing multithreading nothing ever will.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Either it looks like a gorgeous game... or this game is poorly optimized.

Those are some big requirements, especially given the videos we saw really not looking all that better than GTA V did on the older hardware.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
I see three possibilities here.

1: The people writing the min/rec specs have no clue what they're talking about.

2: The game is horribly inefficiently optimized (somewhat unlikely, given the identical CPU instruction set, and only using 6 of the PS4's 8 cores)

3: They've finally made a game engine that can effectively use multithreading, in which case: kudos!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Right, leaving this until totalbiscuit says whether or not its a playable PC version.

By the way, is there even a true 8-core processor on the market?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I'm still getting this, despite the weird processor recommendation, the Graphical recommendations seem rather low, only a mid-range GTX500 series? In that and everything other than CPU I easily exceed or match the recommended specs.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
gigastar said:
Right, leaving this until totalbiscuit says whether or not its a playable PC version.

By the way, is there even a true 8-core processor on the market?
There's a case to be made for the FX-83_0 series, which have 8 cores in 4 groups of 2 by the low level pipelining. (Would that be a 4x2-core?)

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
So much misunderstanding in this thread:

The requirements aren't 8 core, it's a quad that was almost but not quite top of the line 5 years ago. And the recommended spec was a middling offer with great price/performance ratio last year, a bang for your buck CPU. Also that recommended CPU is a quad not an octo, though each core is running 2 threads.

Even the recommended graphics card is a 3 year old middling price/performance bang for the buck card.

These aren't high specs if you've built a gaming rig in the last 3 years or so. My year old rig equals or beats every recommended spec(only equal on CPU because it's the one I have.)

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I usually don't even care about specs because they're mostly "look at our game, it'll look SO COOL" or "this game is badly implemented", the latter happening way too many times, sadly.

Let's just hope that for the people that want it, it's actually well implemented and it doesn't run like crap just cause, but with those specs being the minimum... The "Ultra everything" should look fine.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Callate said:
We'll see. I'm above the minimum spec, but I sure as hell don't have an eight-core processor. The most recent Steam Hardware Survey suggests most people don't. Games really taking advantage of that kind of processor power still seem to mostly be few and far between. Hell, games that require a 64-bit OS are still a tiny minority.

It's hard for me to believe that they'll release a game that plays badly on hardware that's arguably superior to the console versions that are going to expect to be run at at least 30FPS at 1080p. That may be naive optimism; there have certainly been poor PC ports before. But the PC is less and less a platform that any player in the market can take for granted, and I have to imagine that Ubisoft has ambitions beyond that <5% that may have 8-core systems.
It could be a poor port, or it could be standard engineering paranoia. With the whole advent of more consumers actually understanding the technology that they own and/or use, engineers are getting more and more worried about the kinds of promises they're willing to make.

Usually specs for engineered products is whatever it actually needs to run plus twenty to thirty percent as an ass coverage maneuver. That's become more overt over time, as regular people are actually in a position of enough knowledge to call them on it. The idea is that it is harder to be sued for saying a product needs more juice to run than in reality, than the other way around

Dec 16, 2009
Recommending a 8core 4GHz AMD CPU, when the consoles will be running a 8core 1.9Ghz AMD APU with 2 cores deddicated to the os

I think my calculator is broke, that doesnt seem to add up

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Well, my 6-month old PC fits the bill, but I've yet to need the 8-core processing power for gaming. I monitor the CPU usage and only see it peak during loading screens, but that only lasts for a few seconds each time.

Hopefully Ubisoft won't disappoint in the gameplay department.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
All this crap and it's just GTA with hacking stuff in it.

I'd like to assume PC gamers don't list off their PC specs like that douchebag who brags about his high horsepower car all the time, so what kind of marketing is this?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Given the backlash over the graphical downgrade (which is what happens when you have 8 year old hardware) I wondered how the PC version would look

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Racecarlock said:
All this crap and it's just GTA with hacking stuff in it.

I'd like to assume PC gamers don't list off their PC specs like that douchebag who brags about his high horsepower car all the time, so what kind of marketing is this?

....wut?

It's not marketing, it's something they actually need to know, when you play on a PC you need to keep track of its capabilities, even console gamers know that

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
I laugh at this. Most games barey need two processors, the graphics card is what does the heavy lifting, to ask anything more then quad core is both extravagant, and a cheap cash in.
a) I'm pretty sure that most games these days are far heavier on the processor than the graphics card and by far at that.
b) That is a quad core CPU, it's just one with hyperthreading that someone in the article thought it'd be smart to call an eight core. And yes, there is a serious fucking difference between a quad core with hyperthreading and an actual eight core CPU.