Watch Dogs Release Date Set For May 27

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Watch Dogs Release Date Set For May 27

Watch Dogs' release date delay is finally drawing to a close, according to Ubisoft's Gary Steinman.

Watch Dogs looked like an incredibly promising next-gen launch title <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124816-Watch-Dogs-Enemies-Can-Track-You-Back>from all the early gameplay footage we saw last year. Unfortunately, that whole launch title thing didn't work out so well <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128707-Watch-Dogs-Delayed-to-2014>once Ubisoft pushed back the launch date to give its game some extra polish. Whether the delay was necessary or not, Ubisoft has finally revealed there's just another two months to wait: Watch Dogs' official release date is now May 27, 2014.

Along with the release date is a new story trailer explaining Aiden Pearce's motivation for hacking Chicago like a technological wizard. Now the only question left is what system players should turn to: Between current generation consoles, next-gen heavyweights, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128484-Watch-Dogs-Revised-PC-Specs-Are-Even-More-Demanding>demanding PC specs, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128520-Watch-Dogs-Looks-Better-on-Wii-U-Than-PS3-Xbox-360>the ability to play off-screen using the Wii U gamepad, there will be no shortage of options once Watch Dogs finally hits store shelves.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GarySteinman/status/441583503272976384]

Check out Escapist News Now below for more details.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I might be misunderstanding something, but wasn't the Wii U version bumped back compared to the other platforms?

I will be waiting for the Wii U version for this, but I do get annoyed with Ubisoft. They pushed back the release of Rayman because they wanted to release it on all platforms at the same time and save marketing money then they push back the Wii U version of Watch Dogs.

I play games on both PC, Wii U and PS3 and Ubisoft manage to piss me off on 2 out of 3 of my current platforms.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Freaking finally. I've been wanting this since it's been announced. Better not be screwed up when it's released.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it. I just hope this was pushed back enough to deliver an appropriately high quality version of the product.

Unfortunately for them, all these shenanigans mean I won't be buying the game until it has been out for a few weeks to take note of any bugs and such. But this will likely be one of the few titles I buy new if everything checks out.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
On the down side: Revenge for Dead Wife Cliche is Cliche.

On the up side: Still looks like an awesome freaking game.

8/10 will buy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Yopaz said:
I might be misunderstanding something, but wasn't the Wii U version bumped back compared to the other platforms?
I could have sworn I read this somewhere too...I really hope they don't push the Wii U version back again and, again then just stop talking about it. I'm half-tempted to pre-order this...it would break my rule about pre-ordering but this is something that I really want to release for the Wii U...even though the PS3/PS4 versions apparently have an extra mission or two...either way, it's good to finally have a release date.

derektheviking

Feb 8, 2010
Krantos said:
His wife was six years old? :p

I'll be honest, though, I was on the look-out for that. The trailer gives hints about human trafficking counterpointed against Dudbro McFisttoface, and no sense of contrition from the protagonist that it was his actions that put his family in danger (regardless of the motives of the antagonists). They're dealing with some sensitive subjects, and this trailer doesn't suggest that they've paid them much heed.

Looks like it's up to the angry caucasian guy to save the wimmen folk by bustin' heads again.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Yopaz said:
I could have sworn I read this somewhere too...I really hope they don't push the Wii U version back again and, again then just stop talking about it. I'm half-tempted to pre-order this...it would break my rule about pre-ordering but this is something that I really want to release for the Wii U...even though the PS3/PS4 versions apparently have an extra mission or two...either way, it's good to finally have a release date.
I guess that might be an advantage if they do push the Wii U version back though. We get to read reviews and public opinion before pre-ordering. Yeah, it still sucks and the only reason I want the Wii U version is that the Wii U has been doing poorly. Given the choice between the PS3 and PC version I would go with the PC version.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Glad to see I'll be off for summer to play it, just like The Last of Us last summer.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Meh. I was so excited when the game was announced but that excitement has pretty much died down now. I feel skeptical about the quality of the game (I'm afraid that they might have been too ambitious with their plans) and...ughh. That trailer didn't help much (dead daughter, edgy cleavage girl and topless women/female trafficking... better not go there eh?).

Dunno. I guess I'll keep my eye on the reviews and hope for the best.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well, it's about time. Wait... is there another Ubisoft game coming out in May? * checks release dates* Phew, good. There are no Assassins Creeds coming out. Was afraid the game was going to be delayed for another 5 months.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I have a feeling this is gonna be the Assassins creed of this gen. A flawed but filled with potential game that is fixed in subsequent installments.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Really hope the gameplay is like in the trailers. I really want to run around messing around with everything and hopefully they wont limit you to a few things.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I was interested in this game when I saw about five seconds of footage from one of Jim's videos. After watching more videos, I really want to play this game. An open-world hacker, with shooting elements just sounds awesome. Hopefully, I'll have a PS4 by then and even more hopefully, the game doesn't suck.

Mar 5, 2011
I'm really glad they delayed it. Ubisoft execs probably realized that they will make more money on a game that is good even if it comes out later.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
derektheviking said:
Krantos said:

I'll be honest, though, I was on the look-out for that. The trailer gives hints about human trafficking counterpointed against Dudbro McFisttoface, and no sense of contrition from the protagonist that it was his actions that put his family in danger (regardless of the motives of the antagonists). They're dealing with some sensitive subjects, and this trailer doesn't suggest that they've paid them much heed.

Looks like it's up to the angry caucasian guy to save the wimmen folk by bustin' heads again.

I'm much more tired of the whole "evil businessmen/corporations" thing. It's really just the laziest of writing and is featured in just about every game, book, movie, TV show, comic, etc. under the sun. I love a good revenge tale (hell, it'd be awesome to play as a grieving widow out to kill a crapton of bad guys for the murder of her husband), so that's fine with me. But seeing as I live in the city of Chicago (yes, pity me), it would be far more believable if Pierce was going after the city government itself, because it's way more corrupt, power-hungry, and authoritarian than any big corporation.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
derektheviking said:
Krantos said:
Correction: My poor observation skills are poor.

Though Revenge for Dead Child Cliche is slightly less cliched. Is Improvement, albeit minor one. (Geddit? Minor? I'll just go now..)

But then again, are any of us really buying this game for story?

Still, Release can't come soon enough.

....There's a sex joke in there somewhere.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
And Ubisoft just forfeited any right to complain about the sales of the WiiU version.
Considering that they said that the WiiU version is still possible in 2014, it's safe to say it will release end of 2014 at best but more likely sometimes in 2015.
So releasing it 7 or more months later, they will be lucky if it sells more than 20 copies considering that everyone who wants it will have it on some of the other 5 platforms.

I'm getting a feeling that they actually want the WiiU version to sell like crap only to be able to complain.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
And Ubisoft just forfeited any right to complain about the sales of the WiiU version.
Considering that they said that the WiiU version is still possible in 2014, it's safe to say it will release end of 2014 at best but more likely sometimes in 2015.
So releasing it 7 or more months later, they will be lucky if it sells more than 20 copies considering that everyone who wants it will have it on some of the other 5 platforms.

I'm getting a feeling that they actually want the WiiU version to sell like crap only to be able to complain.
hah, who cares about the sales of the WiiU version? The PS4 has already outsold it (5.84 million to 5.78 million according to VGCharts) and the WiiU only has one non-Nintendo IP that has sold even more than 500k units and that's the ZombieU which was a launch title and has only sold 640k units.

The PS4 has four non-Sony titles already over 1 million with another 3 already over 500k and this has only been a few months.

Even the XBO has already smashed 3rd party sales and it hasn't outsold the WiiU yet. These aren't even five full months in yet.

They could literally not finish the game and it may even save money for doing so depending on how much it would cost. This is why 3rd party is jumping ship.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
LysanderNemoinis said:
derektheviking said:
Krantos said:

I'm much more tired of the whole "evil businessmen/corporations" thing. It's really just the laziest of writing and is featured in just about every game, book, movie, TV show, comic, etc. under the sun. I love a good revenge tale (hell, it'd be awesome to play as a grieving widow out to kill a crapton of bad guys for the murder of her husband), so that's fine with me. But seeing as I live in the city of Chicago (yes, pity me), it would be far more believable if Pierce was going after the city government itself, because it's way more corrupt, power-hungry, and authoritarian than any big corporation.
Eh, it's just a topical theme to have, what with the whole mess with the 2008 recession and Wall Street and all that. A country's media usually reflects recent ideas or happenings in that country's history. A lot of Americans blame the poor economy on big business and dirty practices, so they've become a sort of bogeyman in American media. Kinda like how there was a bunch of patriotic bullshit after 9/11. It's just our entertainment reacting to the times. Eventually the theme will die off, either because people will get tired, or because some other crisis will swoop in and scare the pants off of everyone.

At any rate, I'm happy to finally have an actual release date. Perhaps there is a saturation of revenge tales in games right now, but hey, I'm not complaining.