Watch Dogs visual downgrades causing a stir on neogaf.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Didn't they show a lot of this at last e3 and specifically say it was running on a ps3? I could be wrong by a clearly remember Aisha Tyler character getting hit by that bus.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
BrotherRool said:
SourMilk said:
No, Hollywood doesn't do this as their trailers contains real snippets of the film as opposed to content generated for marketing purposes.
Nowadays it's not uncommon to shoot scenes or record lines specifically for the trailer that you don't intend to go in the actual film. Even without the cynicism almost any film with sufficient trailers will include footage that isn't actually in the film, whether it's a deleted scene or an alternate cut or whatever. The entirety of the first Avatar: The Last Airbender trailer was stuff that didn't end up in the film

ecoho said:
......anyone else still just pissed that they delayed it like 3 weeks out and its taking them till may to get the dam thing out? Yeah if this game doesn't come with some seriously good looking graphics and an apology im gonna be rather angry at Ubisoft.
No, this is what makes Ubisoft awesome. It's not like a publisher wants to waste millions of dollars trying to prevent you from playing their game. They tested it, the developers realised that the gameplay was fundamentally flawed and repetitive, and even though they were only 3 weeks from release Ubisoft said, okay guys we'll pay for you to take as long as you need to make this game fun.

EA can't even be bothered to bug test their games before releasing them. There's no way I'm going to have a got at Ubisoft for taking time to really make sure their games are fun before giving them to the public.

If you're interested Polygon did an article on what was going on and why they delayed the game
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5477236/watch-dogs-hands-on-video-interview-release-date
yeah just to clarify im all good with them delaying the game, but what im not good with is the fact that they delayed it so late. The game should have been delayed in august not the middle of September.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
I don't get what the big deal is. So it doesn't look as good as the reveal trailer, big deal, it's not as if it looks like a PS2 game or anything, it still looks fine.

But what's that you say? False advertisement? No, this isn't false advertisement. False advertisement would be if the released the game without letting us know about the changes, which is clearly not the case since we're all here and talking about the changes that we know are there.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Some of those screens look like their from the Xbox 360/PS3 trailer;

But yeah, it's always a good idea to take any trailers or marketing stuff with a pinch of salt.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
I don't know why people are stunned by things like this. Just look at Far Cry 3. Same bullshit where Jason swimming underwater basically showed a coral reef with about 14,000 fish all swimming in gloriously rendered high definition and oh my goodness next gen HD graphics guys! Photorealism is one step closer!

And then the game releases and you realize that half the shit they throw up on those monitors at E3 or most game shows is just pre-rendered or a scene from the game frontloaded with a bunch of things that are just going to be taken out later on in development.

The game will still look good, I have no doubt about that. But, usually, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Watch_dog was definitely something that seemed it.

Feb 22, 2009
Maybe the PC version will still look that good though? If this is footage from PS4 I mean. The PC specs they announced were pretty high-end. Still, a shame if the console versions end up looking last-gen.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to come right out and say that the game still looks great but since this is a transition game, I wasn't expecting something really, truly Next Gen in terms of visuals. E3 is basically a huge marketing event after all and most of what you see if specifically picked out to make each game look as good as possible. I still can't wait to play Watch Dogs...on the Wii U...but I think we've been burned worse by other projects and, games that were really hyped during E3, like Colonial Marines. If anything it makes me feel better about the possibility of getting the PS3 version if/when the Wii U version is axed.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Well as long as PS360 version doesn't have any significant downgrades in comparison to PS4 version, I'm fine.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Still looks beautiful as all heck if you ask me. Doesn't bother me. Might stop my xbox from ritualistic suicide too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Weaver said:
My thoughts are: Was this everyone's first E3 or something?
We were all born yesterday.

BrotherRool said:
I do think this sucks and is unfair. On the other hand, we're watching trailers and gameplay a year or more before a games release date and we expect them to have finished graphics?
I think what people expect is for people to not flat-out lie. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I'm personally neither surprised nor do I really think this downgrade is the end of the world, but it really sucks that people have become so complacent that we've gone from people being skeptical about exaggerated claims to being completely complacent about flat-out lies.

This is why we get games like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Elfgore said:
Though I don't agree with the this practice, there is nothing I can do to stop that. And no I will not boycott for something as silly as this.
So it's not that you can't do anything, it's that you won't do anything.

Hollywood does this all the time. In that two minute trailer all we see is the action and explosions, not the other 90% of the movie that is not action.
That's not claiming that the whole movie is like that, or claiming it's in-movie footage when it's not. In fact, it's pretty rare to see any affirmative claim that trailer footage is even from the movie. So yeah. Not the same thing.

BrotherRool said:
Nowadays it's not uncommon to shoot scenes or record lines specifically for the trailer that you don't intend to go in the actual film. Even without the cynicism almost any film with sufficient trailers will include footage that isn't actually in the film, whether it's a deleted scene or an alternate cut or whatever. The entirety of the first Avatar: The Last Airbender trailer was stuff that didn't end up in the film
What do you mean "nowadays?" This has been a thing since at least the 40s. Regardless, when's the last time you saw a movie claim "actual in-movie footage" or "actual in-movie dialogue" in the trailer?

In Search of Username said:
Maybe the PC version will still look that good though? If this is footage from PS4 I mean. The PC specs they announced were pretty high-end. Still, a shame if the console versions end up looking last-gen.
But consoles are forcing devs to dumb down PC games and graphics and stuff.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Khanht Cope said:
Consider the glorious-looking The Division:

Announced:

Released:
That 'released' pic, isn't that Freedom Fighters? I'm pretty goddamn sure that's Freedom Fighters.

Anyway, not surprised. This always happens. I wish they would stop doing it.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Trucken said:
Khanht Cope said:
Consider the glorious-looking The Division:

Announced:

Released:
That 'released' pic, isn't that Freedom Fighters? I'm pretty goddamn sure that's Freedom Fighters.

Anyway, not surprised. This always happens. I wish they would stop doing it.
Yeah, that looks a lot like Freedom Fighters, that exact picture comes up in a google image search of Freedom Fighters, and finally, the characters are all using AK 47's and the watchtower in the picture has the Soviet star on it, and I'm pretty sure the Division doesn't revolve around the Soviet Union invading the United States. I think Khanht needs to check his sources. EDIT: Also, the picture looks like PS2 era graphics, which Freedom Fighters is, the Watch Dogs downgrade at least looks like it's still 360/PS3 era.

Also not suprised by Watch Dogs, just the fact Ubisoft constantly pulls this shit, and the 2012 trailer smacked way too much of the tired old tactic of sticking a UI in a prerendered cutscene and pretending that it's gameplay footage, I didn't believe that crap when Killzone 2 did it, I'm certainly not believing it now.

But, to be fair, I would believe that the Aisha trailer linked earlier is the PS3 and 360 build, because I seriously doubt they would botch the current get ports that badly, the PS4 and XBone will likely be like the difference between Black flag on the current and last gen systems, maybe a little more dramatic since they claim they built a more robust engine for this game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Trucken said:
Yes, I used to have a demo of it on PS2 way back. As I recall, I thought it was pretty darn enjoyable and really laboured on the fence about whether to buy the full game. For reasons that aren't particularly clear anymore, I never bought it. To be fair, I was a kid then with less disposable income, and I was much more into Japanese fantasy and hack & slash games rather than western military type games, or even most games with shooting for that matter.

Even these days, I've still leaned much stronger towards games like Assassin's Creed, Prototype, Batman Arkham games, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising and fighting games over most other types.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I just assumed that the inferior looking videos came from the last-gen version of the game. I guess time will tell. It's not like I would pre-order a Ubisoft game, being a PC gamer.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
This just seems like the more recent footage was taken from snippets of the game that don't have the exact same rain and lighting effects as the earlier footage and come across as a bit more flat because of it. Open world games in particular can vary considerably in their looks as you play the game (GTA V is a good example of this- out in the country at dusk looks vastly prettier than in the city in full daylight). That scene with the car outrunning the helicopter looks every bit as good as the E3 footage to me.

Also I have to say, some of the comparisons here strike me as a bit weird and petty- I mean you've got the protagonist wearing a long coat in the wind versus a random NPC walking down the street. What exactly are we supposed to be comparig there?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Hyperbole is part and parcel of the game dev cycle, now. If anything, this makes me wonder if the professed godly next-gen PC requirements aren't just the result of NVidia supposedly striking a deal with Ubisoft so the game would be promoted along with a next-gen GPU.

Nothing about the new screenshots makes me think that a Dual Core couldn't run this, but I'm sure there's some code jiggery or some voluntary lack of optimization that'll be going on, just so Ubi can back up NVidia and say "Well, yeah! You need an i7 and the latest and greatest in GPU tech for the game to run! Next-gen or die, scrubs!"

Look at Black Flag. I have a Dual Core CPU clocked at 3.00 Ghz, and my GPU is the downright ancient GeForce 9800GTX.

Game runs smooth as butter on Low settings.

This makes me think that for now, the much-ballyhooed Next Gen is nothing but hardware bloat. It'll be a few years before we have games that come with legitimate reasons for requiring all that extra processing power.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Eh, add a decent screen filter and it'll look great.

Also, considering that the footage we saw was made before the game's graphics were even done, I have no idea why people were expecting them to be that good. Again.

It's better than releasing unfinished footage, at any rate. I remember when Dragon Age II released early screenshots:

http://brutalgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DA22.jpg

...and people thought they were final screenshots showing the full range of graphics, which of course will stop devs from showing what they really have if people can't read the blanking "Work In Progress" caption. Because people don't understand how anything is produced. ANYTHING.
Why that example? There isn't much difference between the "work in progress" picture and the finished product. Either way, DA2 looked like ass.