Watch Dogs Will Require Uplay on PC - Update

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, well, no. They can keep it then. I have yet to buy a game that installs Uplay on my PC. Yes that means I am missing out on what could be good games, but they're not going anywhere. As a paying customer, I have to make my point now, otherwise, Ubisoft does not get it in their heads that I will not partake in their DRM policy.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
Did they said "no games after AC4 will force Uplay to our customers" ?
So... They lied ?

I'll pass, like Origin, Uplay will never be installed on my pc.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It's unfortunate, but, after the bullshot scandal, the silly and senseless system requirements they're claiming and just the general history of Ubisoft.

I was never going to spend money on them, or the game in the first place.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ubisoft is really working hard to catch up with EA here. I wonder if they understand how much of a negative this is for clients.

dorkrock2

Apr 5, 2014
They're doing this simply because they can, and it's a shameless way to promote their proprietary client. Watch_Dogs has enough hype that most people will get it regardless of what nonsense they have to go through to play it. I don't think Ubisoft cares about the negligible loss of sales to people boycotting their use of Uplay.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
phew! Was almost thinking of getting this game. Thanks Ubisoft! You know how to warn a customer!

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
NLS said:
unstabLized said:
On the other hand, if I want to re-send the question, I have to download the game again, just to look at the CD Key because for some reason Steam doesn't let you look at your own CD Key until the game is downloaded.
Just start the game download from Steam, pause it after 5 seconds, and now you can magically access the CD-key by right-clicking the game in your library. No need to download the full game all over again, and no need to thank me :)
Ah! Magic! Thanks! At least I can submit a question again and hope this time that it actually goes through. I wish I could just re-buy it, But.. Anyway, thanks :3

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Steven Bogos said:
It is surprising because South Park: The Stick of Truth, which is another major Ubisoft title, did not require the service.
I suppose, but Watch Dogs is an internally owned IP. South Park not so much.

And, even though The Stick of Truth has had a very successful launch, I'm not entirely convinced Ubisoft saw it as a "major release". Not in the vein of games like Assassin's Creed, Tom Clancy, and Far Cry, anyway.

I wasn't taking a jab at you nor the news post. It's just that given the nature of this release Ubisoft requiring Uplay doesn't surprise me in the least. So I was confused as to why it seemed surprising to so many.

I know several who've been anticipating the game and who were angry to learn that it required Uplay. I thought the Uplay requirement would have been expected.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Leviano said:
Who actually thought this wasn't going to be the case? I mean honestly? Did people freak when BF4 needed origin?. It's a Ubisoft game, of course they will use Uplay.
People live in La La Land. They saw that South Park (a non-tentpole) didn't need UPlay, so they immediately (naively) think this means that Watch Dogs (tentpole) wouldn't need it either.

To compare to EA, there's a reason games like Mirror's Edge don't need Origin, but Titanfall does, but people don't want to grasp it. -__-

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Despite them ditching the always online nonsense I still don't trust Ubisoft, I don't like UPlay, and I still just do not buy their games.

alfrodul

Mar 19, 2009
Pass.

No matter how good a game is, I will never again buy something that requires Uplay.

ACIV is a gorgeous game. I bought it for my wife this past winter to help her with her winter depression. We've jumped through every hoop that Ubisoft demands for connecting to Uplay on their forums and every other forum I could find for it. We can connect and play our 70+ other Steam games from a dozen different non-Ubisoft developers. We can connect and play all of our MMOs. After everything, Ubisoft simply said "submit a help ticket"... and we did... and after three or four months they haven't even replied.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Still really not sure why Ubi even bothers publishing on the PC if they hate it so much.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
We, the consumers, are the ones making this more trouble than it is worth. There's nothing inherently WRONG with Uplay, frankly I've had more problems with Steam. If there's a bad connection it's more likely something the Internet provider than anything else. The only real difference between Uplay & Steam is that Gabe Newell didn't make Uplay.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Wow, I'm astonished by how many massive babies there are here. It's not like they're making horrible cut content dlc, they're not engaging disgusting business practices, they're not buying up your favorite devhouses and then firing the employees. They're just making it use uplay.

I'm not trying to defend their decision here, I'm not trying to say that they should, I'm saying all of you guys have the most absurd priority list. It's essentially why most people don't take gamers seriously.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
alfrodul said:
Pass.

No matter how good a game is, I will never again buy something that requires Uplay.

ACIV is a gorgeous game. I bought it for my wife this past winter to help her with her winter depression. We've jumped through every hoop that Ubisoft demands for connecting to Uplay on their forums and every other forum I could find for it. We can connect and play our 70+ other Steam games from a dozen different non-Ubisoft developers. We can connect and play all of our MMOs. After everything, Ubisoft simply said "submit a help ticket"... and we did... and after three or four months they haven't even replied.
I always heard horror stories about Uplay but when I got Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon I didn't encounter any issues. I bought the games through Steam, installed them, followed the link to install Uplay, set it up, registered the games, & not a single thing went wrong.
I've had more problems with Steam than Uplay.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
Weaver said:
Still really not sure why Ubi even bothers publishing on the PC if they hate it so much.
Because the PC portion of the gaming industry is growing. Uplay isn't a bad service, it's just vogue to hate on Not-Steam clients.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
you know, i wouldnt mind so much if they actually made Uplay GOOD, you know ubi, im probably one of the very few people who think this, but i believe your uplay thingie has potential, free DLC for doing achivements? cool, silly mii ripoff thing? cool

those are nice ideas and i can get behind them, but please, make the thing run better, put more games in your store page and dont you fucking dare keep showing me ads on the stupid thing

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Elberik said:
Weaver said:
Because the PC portion of the gaming industry is growing. Uplay isn't a bad service, it's just vogue to hate on Not-Steam clients.
Pretty sure the two weeks straight where I couldn't play Anno 2070 because the severs were just randomly down all the time makes it a bad service.