Watch: Independence Day: Resurgence First Official Trailer

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Geoff Goldblum is back? No, stop trying to make it the 90s again. The only good things about the 90s were the booming economy and the lack of Islamist terrorism.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Good thing I didn't posted this news last night.

OT- So I take it the aliens now got antiviruses softwares now eh? However do they got malware protection aswell?

Also I wonder if they are going to tone down the patriotism that is assuming they want every countries to see it?

Lastly, it's another sign that Hollywood are running out of ideas.
One of those Antivirus software companies are on the aliens side. I'M LOOKING AT YOU NORTON!!

Plus we defeated the with Windows 95. I am glad we have Windows 10 now because Windows 8 would screw us over. Also have to make sure aliens don't have adblock cause the ads can be our secret weapon.

Click on the "x" and 3 more pop up. Worse, one will just stop you using and closing your browser! Hahahaha *evil grin*

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What's really funny is the in-universe reason that Will Smith isn't back. The website for the movie has an interactive timeline, somewhere along the timeline the following excerpt can be found:

"While test piloting the ESD's first alien hybrid fighter, an unknown malfunction causes the untimely death of Col. Hiller. Hiller's valor in the War of '96 made him a beloved global icon whose selfless assault against the alien mothership lead directly to the enemy's defeat. He is survived by his wife Jasmine and his son Dylan."

They offed him like a soap opera character. xD

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully we move past the annoying Inception trailer music and get some exciting cheesy stuff like the original had.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Oh oh! US Propaganda 2.0?

Can the unofficial theme song be AMERICA FUCK YEAH! ? That would be awesome.

No seriously.. independence day back in the day was amazing for its special effects... however it hasnt aged well. The president literally leading the free world against an alien invasion in his own personal fighter plane? Some tech nerd actually be able to hack into ALIEN machinery by using his primitive laptop and able to upload a "virus" into their system? Guess the aliens where using an illegal unupdated copy of windows space edition... not that this highly intelligent space traveling species was able to identify an unscheduled fighter returning to their mothership without orders and they simply open the front door without any questions asked... nope. The story is absolute garbage... the action scenes where good.. but the story? ho boy was it garbage.

Theres suspension of disbelief and then there is being braindead.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Parasondox said:
Scarim Coral said:

OT- So I take it the aliens now got antiviruses softwares now eh? However do they got malware protection aswell?

Also I wonder if they are going to tone down the patriotism that is assuming they want every countries to see it?

One of those Antivirus software companies are on the aliens side. I'M LOOKING AT YOU NORTON!!

Plus we defeated the with Windows 95. I am glad we have Windows 10 now because Windows 8 would screw us over. Also have to make sure aliens don't have adblock cause the ads can be our secret weapon.

Click on the "x" and 3 more pop up. Worse, one will just stop you using and closing your browser! Hahahaha *evil grin*
maybe the aliens learned from last time too, and they decided to get revanche over humanity by spamming our email box ? who's behing all the spam do you think ? it's the Aliens !!

Poopster

Dec 23, 2010
Saw a Chinese Pilot, some African soldiers...Looks like a lot more countries will be involved in this one.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
if they dont go for too serious, it will be a fun action blast worth watching. so i think i will see it. at times its good to have a cheese over the top action movie were you know you will have a good time.

Kiall

Jan 8, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Zontar said:
Hawki said:
Sigh...was anyone actually asking for this? Did anyone look at the end of ID1 and say "you know what? This needs a sequel!"
Actually a lot of people have wanted this, since the premise of the original made a second wave make sense, so seeing Earth use reverse engineering to try and catch up and try to fight them on equal terms makes sense.

That being said, I hope it flops solely for the purpose of protecting Stargate from Emmerich.
undeadsuitor said:
Is Will Smith in it? Cause if not...
He's not in it, which is unfortunate since he's become box office caner so that would go a long way to insuring this movie's failure. Which probably has something to do with it.
Box office cancer? His last few films have been pretty dire but each one returned a reasonable amount (between double and triple their original budget) nothing to brag about but he's hardly Lindsey Lohan either.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hawki said:
Sigh...was anyone actually asking for this? Did anyone look at the end of ID1 and say "you know what? This needs a sequel!"
Actually I remember thinking after the credits rolled on ID1 in the theaters "Man, I can think of a really cool tv series that could build off of this. All those ships crashed, but there's nothing stopping large numbers of the aliens from surviving those crashes. So now we have a ground invasion/infestation kind of story they could do. That could be cool!"

They of course didn't do it, but I remember thinking it.

I honestly don't mind a sequel in theory, this one definitely looks more grim-dark than the original. But hey, I'm fine with that if it's done well.

Poopster said:
Saw a Chinese Pilot, some African soldiers...Looks like a lot more countries will be involved in this one.
Makes sense, considering the "global community" tone of the first one. And besides, it's a pretty common trope in most scifi stories, that once extraterrestrial life is confirmed, humanity usually ends up being less internally combative, and develops more of an "earthling" mindset. So yeah, I can buy it pretty easy.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
Kinda amused I wasn't the only one who noticed [URL="{url}" (http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/12/judd-hirsch-independence-day/)]this[/URL].

;)

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
EdwardOrchard said:
Zontar said:
undeadsuitor said:
He's not in it, which is unfortunate since he's become box office caner so that would go a long way to insuring this movie's failure. Which probably has something to do with it.
If I remember right, Will Smith isn't in it because the studio didnt want to pay him what he was demanding ($50 million).
Anyways, very excited for this.
Honestly, I'm kind of glad he isn't in it. Will Smith has become one of those stars (like Tom Cruise) who is such a huge name that they will automatically eclipse an entire movie once they're involved. I'd rather bring back some of the original cast and give some new actors a shot without having Big Willie's shadow hanging over everything.

Poopster said:
I hope so. The first Independence Day had a great message. That humanity can put aside its differences to fight for a common cause and that we can do amazing things. The first pretty much focused on the American cast exclusively (although everyone else was fighting their own battles off-screen), so I hope this one brings in more of the international United Earth forces. If we ever needed a "We're all humans, so let's drop this stupid, petty shit we're fighting over and do amazing things together" message, it's now.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
cathou said:
Parasondox said:
Scarim Coral said:

maybe the aliens learned from last time too, and they decided to get revanche over humanity by spamming our email box ? who's behing all the spam do you think ? it's the Aliens !!
Dear. God!! It all makes sense. The spam. The ads. The Nigerian princes. Facebook. Tumblr. The Aliens have been under our noses, running our lives the whole time. SON OF A *****!!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The trailers just keep coming!
So many things to talk about. Next year is gonna be crazy!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
voltair27 said:
Yes! They reverse engineered the alien tech!

Can't say much about the rest of the trailer. Although you'd think 20 years would be enough time to get more common spacecraft.
The USA has been working on the F-35 for 20 years and it's can't safely go over 400mph yet and that's without the rebuilding necessary for the loss of all the infrastructure lost in the last film.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Fdzzaigl said:
undeadsuitor said:
Happy he isn't in it. Especially happy that his kids aren't in there too.

I've got nothing against the kids, but if they wonna learn how to act, they should really do it outside of daddy's mantle of care imo.

Anyway, this does seem interesting. Popcorn material for sure, but it also looks like the kind of popcorn I like :)
OH GOD

I had forgotten about his son. And you're right, his son would probably be shoe-horned in their as well. Maybe we dodged a bullet after all.
I have feeling though, that the young costar that is seen with Jeff multiple times, is possibly Will's character's son. And it wouldn't be that unusual actually. It's pretty common for members of a family to all serve in the military, generationaly. The highest I've seen in my office is 5 generations of sons all joined the military, and all joined the same branch of service. And all had the same name, which made searching for records a real pain in the ass, let me tell you. So while I am totally just theorizing about the origin of the young costar, it would't surprise me, or be that unfeasible for him to have decided to join the Air Force, after his Hero Dad literally helped save the planet from an alien invasion.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hawki said:

Don't lie to us Jeff, you never "knew they were coming back." And, well, all I can say this looks "bigger." Heck, they even say as much in the trailer. But I have to ask, you have a society with 20 years of time to study advanced tech, to try and live together in a post-invasion world in a united Earth without a common enemy, to ponder the questions of the realization that mankind isn't alone in the universe and...yeah, all I'm seeing is an excuse for more action and little else.

Pass. :(
Judging by the comment section, a ton of people were.

I'm not outraged by the thought of a sequel, necessarily. The original film was pretty goofy, after all. If the aliens wanted resources, there are plenty of uninhabited planets that have them. Plus, if they can master space travel, they should be able to produce their own renewable energy. Invading would actually be a pretty stupid idea. And, if they did invade, a computer virus couldn't stop them. And even if it did, the alien weapons and armor should be capable of destroying human planes even without shields. Independence Day was always a summer action movie at heart.

My issue is that the original still had heart. It had a soul, and I liked the characters in it. This seems to be lacking that. It also looks less real then the original, despite taking place over 15 years later. Now it looks like a completely generic sci-fi action movie. If you took out the actors, I couldn't tell if this was transformers, battleship, or G.I. Joe. I'm tired of every movie looking the same, it's so boring. Something you could never accuse the original of. It helps that, despite being an action movie, the original was mostly focused on the civilians. This doesn't seem to be the case, and I've already spotted generic white soldier protagonist that we get in every action movie nowadays. Will Smith had personality, that's why his character worked. He was a person first and a soldier second. This guy is going to as boring as soggy toast, I can already tell.

No, I'll be avoiding this movie I think.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
I was a bit surprised/disappointed that they totally repurposed Bill Pullman's great presidential speech from the first one. We will "again" be fighting ... and the rest is identical, sans the static at the very end, which was a nice touch.

My thoughts were this looked a lot more sci-fi that the original, with a distinct XCOM feel to it. Should be interesting.