Watch: Independence Day: Resurgence First Official Trailer

GARforGunman

Dec 12, 2010
kajinking said:
Oh boy...Someone call Xcom. We're going to be needing them.
John Keefer said:
My thoughts were this looked a lot more sci-fi that the original, with a distinct XCOM feel to it. Should be interesting.
Oh, sorry. I thought you guys got the memo. Turns out XCOM was defeated by the aliens / lore / meta-game developer B.S. Now they're hiding in the shadows with their worn-out gear and red-shirt wearing rookies. They're still fighting our alien oppressors, but its the equivalent of a kid throwing pebbles at a grizzly bear.

As for the trailer, despite the numerous modern cinema cliches (booming base note, "dark and sinister" echo effect over the Presidents voice) it still had enough to hook me. Here's hoping it still has that cheesy charisma that the original had.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Karadalis said:
Oh oh! US Propaganda 2.0?

Can the unofficial theme song be AMERICA FUCK YEAH! ? That would be awesome.

No seriously.. independence day back in the day was amazing for its special effects... however it hasnt aged well. The president literally leading the free world against an alien invasion in his own personal fighter plane? Some tech nerd actually be able to hack into ALIEN machinery by using his primitive laptop and able to upload a "virus" into their system? Guess the aliens where using an illegal unupdated copy of windows space edition... not that this highly intelligent space traveling species was able to identify an unscheduled fighter returning to their mothership without orders and they simply open the front door without any questions asked... nope. The story is absolute garbage... the action scenes where good.. but the story? ho boy was it garbage.

Theres suspension of disbelief and then there is being braindead.
From what I understand the "reason" it worked was because we used their technology to make our own computers back in the day, so our computers and theirs were compatible because of it. They also didn't have any anti cyber warfare capabilities because their species is a hive mind and they never had any need for it. Someone told me that was the canonical reason why it worked, dunno if it's true or not.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
undeadsuitor said:
Also, looked it up and it appears that Hiller (smiths character from the first one) died in a accident as a test pilot for those nifty reverse engineered fighter jets. Which...makes sense as a reason for him to be written out.
True, but personally I was hoping they'd go with lung cancer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
John Keefer said:
I was a bit surprised/disappointed that they totally repurposed Bill Pullman's great presidential speech from the first one. We will "again" be fighting ... and the rest is identical, sans the static at the very end, which was a nice touch.

My thoughts were this looked a lot more sci-fi that the original, with a distinct XCOM feel to it. Should be interesting.
Why were you disappointed with the repurposed speech? I thought it was good to set the more ominous tone, what with it being cut off at the end, as if the humans had lost. But at the same time, reminding us of the defiant nature of the first one.

I thought it was perfect.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Independence Day is my guilty love.

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY STARSHIP TROOPERS SEQUEL?!?! And I don't mean the animation and failed whatever.

Also, I swear to God, Roland, if this movie is good, I will then give Stargate a bit more hope. DONT FUCK UP!!

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
The USA has been working on the F-35 for 20 years and it's can't safely go over 400mph yet and that's without the rebuilding necessary for the loss of all the infrastructure lost in the last film.
Don't forget it cost a Trillion dollars so far as well...

...and that's the FIGHTER, not the supposed rebuilding from the first film.

As for the actual film?

Meh. The 90's were so much more whimsical and fun, things felt so much better and nicer. Now...ungh, it's just gonna feel like some old throwback film. And let's remember, that a rather sizable portion of the movie's target demographic weren't even ALIVE when the first one came out, let alone saw it on anything other than VHS at home.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I know in recent years it's kinda become the popular thing to bash Independence Day, but as an 8 year old kid I fuckin' loved that movie. It had a great cast, it had some sweet air battles, and it was like a big budget throw-back to the old 50's SciFi movies I watched all the time with my dad. When it came out on VHS I actually had to buy a second copy, because I wore out the first one.

I don't expect this movie to be as good as the first, or, y'know... good in general. I just hope it's fun.

Scarim Coral said:
Lastly, it's another sign that Hollywood are running out of ideas. I mean what's next? A sequel to War of the Worlds?

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Parasondox said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY STARSHIP TROOPERS SEQUEL?!?! And I don't mean the animation and failed whatever.
Well, there WHERE two live action sequels.

Now granted for whatever reason they where a 7 million dollar and 9 million dollar direct-to-DVD movie, but they're movies nonetheless.
Also, I swear to God, Roland, if this movie is good, I will then give Stargate a bit more hope. DONT FUCK UP!!
There is no hope for that project. He openly despises the thing which turned a forgotten, generic action movie no one cares about into a beloved franchise. The best case scenario would be a good movie that's a terrible Stargate movie, and even then he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt that that will occur.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Zontar said:
Parasondox said:
Well, there WHERE two live action sequels.

Now granted for whatever reason they where a 7 million dollar and 9 million dollar direct-to-DVD movie, but they're movies nonetheless.
There is no hope for that project. He openly despises the thing which turned a forgotten, generic action movie no one cares about into a beloved franchise. The best case scenario would be a good movie that's a terrible Stargate movie, and even then he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt that that will occur.
Titanic had a straight-to-DVD sequel and that went straight to the discount 3 movies for a dollar deal. Still doesn't count as a movie.

Also, I know he does which makes me sad. He hated the TV series despite the fact that it continues his story and it was great and brought me to love the series. Now he's just doing a Disney and making them into the non canon expanded universe kind of thing.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Parasondox said:
Titanic had a straight-to-DVD sequel and that went straight to the discount 3 movies for a dollar deal. Still doesn't count as a movie.
That wasn't a sequel, that was an Asylum movie about the "Titanic II".
Also, I know he does which makes me sad. He hated the TV series despite the fact that it continues his story and it was great and brought me to love the series. Now he's just doing a Disney and making them into the non canon expanded universe kind of thing.
Actually that's a terrible example. It's more like taking the Original Trilogy and declaring THAT non-canon while saying the original draft for New Hope is now what he's using as the basis.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Zontar said:
Parasondox said:
Actually that's a terrible example. It's more like taking the Original Trilogy and declaring THAT non-canon while saying the original draft for New Hope is now what he's using as the basis.
So what you are saying is, Stargate is screwed?

Damn you HOLLYWOOD!!!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
GARforGunman said:
kajinking said:
Oh boy...Someone call Xcom. We're going to be needing them.
John Keefer said:
Oh, sorry. I thought you guys got the memo. Turns out XCOM was defeated by the aliens / lore / meta-game developer B.S. Now they're hiding in the shadows with their worn-out gear and red-shirt wearing rookies. They're still fighting our alien oppressors, but its the equivalent of a kid throwing pebbles at a grizzly bear.

As for the trailer, despite the numerous modern cinema cliches (booming base note, "dark and sinister" echo effect over the Presidents voice) it still had enough to hook me. Here's hoping it still has that cheesy charisma that the original had.
Oh I know. Still the idea of using Reverse engineered Alien Tech to fight a hopeless battle just makes me think XCOM.

Also, in all fairness, based on the trailer I'd say the Humans in the second movie aren't much better off compared to XCOM in the second game.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Ugh, the exact same speech from the original in the trailer. Nothing quite says "We're trying to sell this on pure nostalgia" like using audio bits from the prequel in the trailer for the sequel.

For fuck sake, let sleeping dogs lie for once in your life Hollywood. ID is a great movie, it doesn't need a sequel.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Parasondox said:
Zontar said:
Parasondox said:
So what you are saying is, Stargate is screwed?

Damn you HOLLYWOOD!!!
Only his movie, if he does what he intends to - if someone else comes and says "alright, the two series count, the half-hearted soap-opera called Universe didn't happen, we're making a new series set about 5 years after SG-1 and Atlantis" or something, that could work.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
WOW! Some serious hate for that speech I see. Man... How often do we all still hear the famous speech after the attack on Pearl Harbour? Seriously, how often is that played? You've got to not watch TV for whole months at a time not to at least see a tiny bit in an add for this or that documentary or this or that veterans fund/foundation. This is 2015, pearl harbour was a 'long' time ago, particularly by contrast to the events of ID4:1 to ID4:2, 20 years difference or so I think. With that said, we'd be a weird new race of people not to be playing that speech.

It's pretty damn easy to fuck up a franchise, especially one with depth and lore to it... What's wonderful about this series is there really isn't much of either! It's a feel good, blow up the bad guys, light show extravaganza with some moments of tension and light moments of romance... It's perfect Hollywood fluff most people can at least sit through with out fidgeting. I'm excited about this... unlike Star Trek.

Personally of all the unrealistic things in this series, the return of the aliens is right up there as 'unrealistic.' If their a hive mind I'm surprised any other hive doesn't view the destruction of those ships as both a general warning signal not to approach Sol Epsilon... and good news, less competition for our desired resources! I'm somewhat surprised this movie isn't sent several hundred years in the future following a punitive expedition to large bases of alien operation, worlds, zero g ship yard and foundries... Maybe even new friends - other aliens - who are pleased that ship didn't get to move on to it's next stop, their world.

So you sort of have to view this as very light fun times. And even without Will Smith I have high hopes. What would they have done with him anyway? It's been 20 years! The man's a fighter pilot, not a strategic officer, and after 20 years he probably isn't a combat pilot. Killing him off testing craft between movies sounds about as good as you could hope for, short of grizzled and grounded squadron commander, which would just have been trite and at worst maybe a little disheartening.